Kinder Consequences End of my ROPE HELP!!!!

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by XFruitloopsrusX, Nov 14, 2016.

1. XFruitloopsrusX

XFruitloopsrusX Rookie

Nov 14, 2016

Hi,
    I am having some trouble with a couple of my Kindergarten girls lately. I'm extremely frustrated with their attitudes and disrespect. Two of these girls wander around the classroom and go wherever they want including behind my desk, under tables, and into the hall. When I try to redirect them, they refuse to comply and just flat out tell me to know. One of these girls WILL NOT stay in her spot on the rug or table. I've tired moving these girls, speaking to them about their reasons for being up. Usually, it involves them being in someone else's business.

I have spoken to admin about them and not got a lot of feedback, I've spoken to parents and was told that is just the way their child is. I have sent them to the office (now they want to go and request it), I've sent them to buddy rooms, put them in time outs taken away recess, and tried ignoring their behaviors.

I have worked EXTEREMLY hard to build a relationship with each of these girls. I know several of them are very into Pokemon and I've drawn them pictures of Pokemon to let them know I'm thinking about them. I've spent extra time with them during lunch and played with them at recess. I CAN NOT get these girls in line. I also give lots of praise when they are doing the right thing and focus less on the negative.

The school I'm at does not like rewards systems and neither do I. What else can I try. What is the logical consequence for disrespect?

3. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Aficionado

Nov 15, 2016

Sounds like they need practice following the routines. Can they practice sitting quietly, reviewing where they can go in the room, etc. while the rest of the class has choice time?

Backroads likes this.
  4. Backroads

Backroads Aficionado

Nov 15, 2016

I agree. This might be part-needed instruction, part-consequence, but they're demonstrating they can't follow these rules. So... schedule out some time to make them do it all, over and over.

Peregrin5 likes this.
  5. AnonyMS

AnonyMS SpEd Para! BASE room aide! RTI Facilitator!

Nov 15, 2016

You've tried about 8 things (see below) but yet it's only the 2nd (maybe 3rd?) month of school. So, I really don't think you've given any of those consequences enough time to work.

I would definitely contact parents again; I would set them up on a behavior chart that must be signed daily.

In addition, for logical consequences to work, you need to pinpoint the behavior... consequencing "disrespect" is too general.

"... moving these girls, speaking to them about their reasons for being up." and also, "I have spoken to admin about them and not got a lot of feedback, I've spoken to parents and was told that is just the way their child is. I have sent them to the office (now they want to go and request it), I've sent them to buddy rooms, put them in time outs taken away recess, and tried ignoring their behaviors."

6. juli233

juli233 Companion

Nov 15, 2016

a couple of thoughts, I think you need to keep working to find the real reasons. Do they need the movement or is it a test to see what you'll do? For us we have a kind of do it now or do it later policy. so if you cant sit now then you sit and practice while other kids are playing or using ipads. If your work isn't getting done then you do later at choice time. isolate their desks? Are the parents receptive or not? Depending on the age of the kids rewards (even if just positive notes) can be valuable. Rewards don't have to be bribes - I wouldn't do a lot of things in my life if I didn't get rewarded(like a pay cheque! - I love my job but I wouldn't work for free) what is their currency? Sometimes it's really hard to figure out what a kids currency is but they all have something! good luck! hth!