Kinder Class out of control HELP!

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by XFruitloopsrusX, May 13, 2017.

1. XFruitloopsrusX

XFruitloopsrusX Rookie

May 13, 2017

I am a first-year teacher and this past couple of weeks have been a nightmare. Every time I am observed my students are completely out of control. My principal refuses to come observe early in the day and comes in unannounced for formal observation The principal has come in and taken over my class using call and responses that my students have never even heard. I have worked really hard with two extremely difficult students this year and have been hit more than once by a student and little to nothing is being done about it.

I have student unfocused and crawling around when I am trying to teach constant hitting despite numerous class meetings about touching, phone calls to parents, loss of privileges. The feedback I get from the principal is that I need to work on management but the principal does not discipline students I send with formal referrals and I am discouraged from writing them. I feel like the students who are referred know there is no consequences so the behavior continues. Calling home seems ineffective. What can I do to regain order next week.

My students also are completely wild when I am gone and I've received the blame for it.

3. Leaborb192

Leaborb192 Enthusiast

May 14, 2017

Last edited: Feb 4, 2019
    Backroads likes this.
  4. Teachertimes

Teachertimes Rookie

May 14, 2017

First be kind to yourself. You need to make sure you are confident, firm, and consistent.

Try not to get upset or flustered, kids feed off of that. Stay calm try to correct as quietly as you can.

Tell your admin exactly what you need. Mine is super supportive and would never tolerate that type of behavior from students.

5. Preschool0929

Preschool0929 Cohort

May 14, 2017

I always feel like classroom/behavior management is something that takes some time to really be good at. I (not proudly) did a lot of yelling my first year and couldn't understand why I still had to yell at the end of the year. 6 years later, I'm a MUCH different teacher, have excellent classroom management, and I do trainings on behavior for new teachers in our district.

One thing that I do is make my students "practice" a misbehavior over and over again. If you run down the hall, then you practice walking until you do it correctly. If you don't listen and roll around at story/group time, then you practice sitting and listening while everyone else goes to centers. I also do A LOT of positive reinforcement, especially the first few weeks of school, and then intermittently throughout the year. I'm constantly giving out stickers/stamps as rewards for positive choices. I don't do it everyday, so that students don't know when to expect it. I don't do office referrals or parent calls home during the day. This isn't to say you shouldn't, but I want students to know that they have to listen to me just as much, if not more, than they need to listen to my principal, mom/dad, etc.. I do touch base with parents after school to let them know what situations occur, but I don't use parent calls home as threats or punishments.

Having a supportive admin team helps, as well as having a great mentor/grade level team that can have eyes on your class and help. Good luck!

rpan, Leaborb192 and Backroads like this.
  6. Backroads

Backroads Aficionado

May 15, 2017

I still haven't quite polished up my policy on misbehavior home contact policy (still not 100% sure of my philosophy), but it does lean in this direction.

Kindergarten, in my mind, is still very much about learning how to behave in school, so more regular home communication on misbehavior just might be the ticket--but again, not as a punishment, just as part of the lesson.

As the kids get older, however, I'd rather save parent communication, in general, for biggies or frequent misbehavior. I prefer to keep the discussion mostly about the curriculum and establish myself as a legitimate disciplinarian. Students ought to learn more control and respect beyond "let's call home".

OP, I'd set up a basic system, teach the heck out of it, and use that as a start for next year.

Leaborb192 likes this.
  7. mathmagic

mathmagic Enthusiast

May 16, 2017

I'm not sure an increasingly long time, especially for kinders, will be very effective as a punishment. Why not make it meaningful to the actual action, instead of simple "time out" which will lose its meaning pretty quickly?

8. otterpop

otterpop Aficionado

May 16, 2017

In general, I totally support practice, but what do you do when a student refuses to do it?

I have one kid this year who just won't. Period. Which is it's own thing, but the problem is, other kids see that and the behavior has spread over to others. I see that type of defiance as worse than nearly any other behavior because it leads to so many other issues. But my admin's take on it is, we can't *make* a child do anything.

Backroads likes this.
  9. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Aficionado

May 16, 2017

When a student refused to practice something, **magically** it was 'free time' for the rest of the class and that child's life stood still until they practiced. I never had a child hold out through the entire free time.

Backroads likes this.
  10. mathmagic

mathmagic Enthusiast

May 17, 2017

I dislike that consequence, too. Again, it usually penalizes more people than it should. Secondly though, I'd prefer to have a class (or small group) discussion around what happened and what to do differently in the future, rather than require silence, during which I cannot guarantee any reflection on what happened.