Kinda late but... how many bins did you pack?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by ZoomZoomZOOM, Jul 31, 2009.

1. ZoomZoomZOOM

ZoomZoomZOOM Devotee

Jul 31, 2009

This was my first year teaching and I packed 9+ large plastic bins when I left. Now I'm dreading lugging them all back into my new (upstairs) classroom in a couple weeks.

I'm wondering if this is pretty normal or If I'm insane. :blush: (I helped another 1st year teacher pack her room - she had 3 boxes.) Although I imagine it depends on what you teach. I taught all subjects and started off with very little in the classroom.

3. hernandoreading

hernandoreading Comrade

Jul 31, 2009

A few years ago, a first-year teacher asked my DH if she could store about six boxes in his storage room. He said that would be fine. Once she got everything packed, it was about 20 boxes. We still tease her about her six boxes.

4. ZoomZoomZOOM

ZoomZoomZOOM Devotee

Jul 31, 2009

OH! Phew! Okay I feel better now. :lol: Thanks.

5. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Jul 31, 2009

16 years
    50 big plastic storage totes

plus I have stuff in a storage unit...lol

6. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Jul 31, 2009

Actually it was 52...but who's counting.

7. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Jul 31, 2009

I had 14 bins at school and another 5 in my storage room. I also have a large bookshelf full of books and a filing cabinet...

8. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Jul 31, 2009

I'm sure if I were to pack plastic bins of everything, there would be at least 30. Probably 40+, possibly in the 50s, even for only having five years in the classroom.

9. ZoomZoomZOOM

ZoomZoomZOOM Devotee

Jul 31, 2009

WOW. Okay, suddenly I don't have a problem lugging my measly nine bins back to school now. :lol: Thanks guys!!

10. skittleroo

skittleroo Connoisseur

Jul 31, 2009

yeah, I'd say over 30.

11. Darkhorse

Darkhorse Companion

Jul 31, 2009

I don't know how many boxes but it was a huge pile and way more than I started with. But at the end of my second year (this past year) all of third grade had to pack up due to construction in the building. Mine was the second largest pile and I only lost by a few boxes. The biggest pile was the teacher who had been teaching the longest (13 years).

12. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Jul 31, 2009

Holy cow, I thought my 12 that I packed was a lot!

13. MissJill

MissJill Cohort

Jul 31, 2009

:lol I was just thinking this.

Not only am I packing for a classroom, but I have to move for this job. The rubbermade company is making a fortune off of me this year.

14. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Jul 31, 2009

Only two had to be packed and unpacked.

However, my garage has about a dozen totes that store stuff year-round.

15. Aussiegirl

Aussiegirl Habitué

Jul 31, 2009

Gee, I feel better too. I did do a ton of throwing out this spring, cleaned out files,etc. I took almost everything home because there'd be no A/C this summer and I was afraid of mold/mildew. ANyway, even with my 200+ library books I had maybe 15 boxes (empty paper boxes).

Last edited: Jul 31, 2009
  16. scmom

scmom Enthusiast

Jul 31, 2009

At least 40. Ouch!

17. RainStorm

RainStorm Phenom

Aug 1, 2009

:blush: Now I don't feel so bad. I won't even admit to how many I have. :eek: :whistle:

18. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Aug 1, 2009

I still can't imagine stripping my classroom for the summer. It seems so silly. Why exactly must you do this?

19. GoldenPoppy

GoldenPoppy Habitué

Aug 1, 2009

I had to pack up my room totally this year for the remodeling. I packed 58 bins, and I was scrambling at the end to find places for everything. Thank goodness I don't have to move them back into the classroom.

20. Pencil Monkey

Pencil Monkey Devotee

Aug 1, 2009

i thought i was the only weirdo with the big plastic Rubbermaid bins. i hate cardboard! I have been teaching six years and have about 15 of those big bins plus 5 in my garage that i store seldom used items inside from grade levels I used to teach. I also have large items that don't fit in boxes. I always try to clean out my bins every year and toss things I can't use, but I am still a packrat.

21. Ilovefirst

Ilovefirst Comrade

Aug 1, 2009

I don't know how many boxes. I do know I have 5 in the dining room (paper boxes). There are more in my "office" upstairs as well as some in our storage room (upstairs closet). My boyfriend keeps asking when "The Great Migration is going to occur." Hmmm, this he wants the stuff back at school? :whistle:

All I can tell you is what we were told. Anything out had to be boxed up. All boxes had to be up off the floor in a location where they could stay (and not have to be moved by the custodians). If we had items that would not fit on top of the permanent book cases, it was to go home. The point in that was so the custodians did not have to move extra stuff. As far as stripping the room - they say they wash the walls. They don't. But we have to take stuff off the walls anyway.

22. Missy99

Missy99 Connoisseur

Aug 1, 2009

No kidding! Fifty bins? We must pinky-swear now that will never happen to us! ;)

23. MissNikki

MissNikki Comrade

Aug 1, 2009

Why are you all packing things into bins? Do you take it all home each year?

I just pack and leave everything in my classroom.

24. lteach2

lteach2 Cohort

Aug 1, 2009

I have a box and 3 huge bags of books that I recently acquired. I tried filling up teacher tote bags with a lot of the smaller stuff...I think I have 3-4 of those full. 1 long box from reallygoodstuff full of posters or other things that need to be flat...a big stack of caddies...2 bins...a director's chair...a few shopping bags...a bean bag chair...an Imagine It! workshop kit that I won (also full of stuff). I don't know how much that is or how long it will take me, but that's all up in my 3rd floor apartment! Yikes!

25. Missy99

Missy99 Connoisseur

Aug 1, 2009

I think this is more than a few years' worth of accumulated stuff.

26. 1stesl

1stesl Rookie

Aug 1, 2009

I've been in the same room for 3 years now going on 4....when i moved into that room, I had about 20 personal bins I think. I've acquired more since than....not sure how many it would take now! I'm fortunate in that I don't have to take it all home.....I cram it into the closet!

27. lteach2

lteach2 Cohort

Aug 1, 2009

The stuff I mentioned is all new stuff. Sigh...

28. futureteach21

futureteach21 Habitué

Aug 1, 2009

Good luck switching rooms and lugging those up the stairs!

29. MissJill

MissJill Cohort

Aug 1, 2009

This is what I'm most afraid of because I think I'm doing all of this by myself lol.

30. karebear76

karebear76 Habitué

Aug 1, 2009

I couldn't tell you how many boxes it would take to pack up my stuff to bring it home or move rooms. When I moved to the district I am at now, it probably took at least 3 pickup truckloads to haul everything. Now 8 years later, it would probably be doubled.

I have to pack up my stuff each year, but I leave it in the room. I stuff the closets & permanent shelves full & pack up the other stuff.

Zoom (the OP) I believe changed schools completely, so she had to box up everything that belonged to her.

31. cityfrog6

cityfrog6 Comrade

Aug 1, 2009

I have about 15 boxes of stuff to lug to school and have about 5 stored in our guest room closet at home. I'm hoping to stay at one grade level for 2 years in a row soon. :)

32. cheeryteacher

cheeryteacher Enthusiast

Aug 1, 2009

I moved to another class after it first year and I had over 20 boxes. I switched districts after my second year and had maybe 30 boxes, but I also had 2 shelves, student mailboxes, etc. That wouldn't fit in a box. There are still about ten boxes in mynparents garage 2 years later.

33. little317

little317 Groupie

Aug 1, 2009

I think the number of bins you have would depend on the size and shape of the bins. I'd say I have around 30 bins, all different sizes though. Only a few of those hold bulky items.

34. skittleroo

skittleroo Connoisseur

Aug 1, 2009

well mine had to be packed and taken home because I am moving schools.

35. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Aug 1, 2009

I love our custodians. :)

Our walls are washed, but they wash around things on the walls unless they're laminated, and then they wash those items too. If they wanted me to strip the walls I'd promise I'd come in and clean it myself. I wonder if they would work. As far as everything else, they move it into the hall for cleaning and then back in. We can take pictures of the room so they know where everything goes.

36. MelissainGA

MelissainGA Groupie

Aug 1, 2009

I feel your pain. I had to move schools this year and I had to remove everything that was my personal property and take it home at the end of school (approximately 30 boxes) and that isn't counting the 20 boxes of text books and teaching materials that I packed up to send over to my new school. I got the last one unpacked and finished approximately 30 minutes before open house yesterday (that was after having worked on unpacking for approximately 46 hours (total time) that week). Thank goodness I decided to follow the idea of not putting things on the bulletin boards until the students were there so that they would know why it was posted and be inclined to use it for reference. Otherwise I would have been sweating it even worse.

37. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 1, 2009

Are you all packing your rooms and going elsewhere? I pretty much just clean my room, cover my bookcases and BBs. Clear off my desk and tops of bookcases, counters and I'm done...I don't haul anything home or to storage...:eek:

38. Ilovefirst

Ilovefirst Comrade

Aug 1, 2009

No, I'm going back to the same room for year #6. Each year, I've had to do this. This is the first time I was told to take "overflow" home and not just box it up.

39. kimrandy1

kimrandy1 Enthusiast

Aug 1, 2009

I don't take anything home, either, unless it's stuff that belonged there in the first place, or things I plan on working on over the summer.

But the one year I left my school (after my 4th year of teaching) and moved overseas for a couple of years, I removed all of my personal items. And it filled a 20x10 "bomb shelter" in a friend's basement, floor to ceiling with NO walking room. I didn't count how many bins. I didn't want to know.

Now, I'm starting my 16th year. I have no idea how much stuff I'd have if I packed up all of my own personal stuff. I don't want to know.
    Kim

40. Teaching Grace

Teaching Grace Connoisseur

Aug 1, 2009

This was my second year. I brought home (just for the summer) 3 boxes and my rolling cart.

41. MelissainGA

MelissainGA Groupie

Aug 1, 2009

I moved from the school I had been at for the past 6 years to a brand new school. We couldn't send anything over to the school early since it was still under construction.