Kind of shocked.....

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Tired Teacher, Mar 12, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Mar 17, 2020

I'm sorry to say that I agree with you...money talks, however selfishly said money is used.

2. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Mar 17, 2020

I'm sorry to say that I agree with you...money talks, however selfishly said money is used.

3. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Mar 17, 2020

In my area, it looks like Mon - Wed, March 9 - 11 were the very last days to still see everything on the shelves still. I really wished I had bout more toilet paper then. I bought a little more, but had I known everyone was going to panic-shop, I would have gotten more.

For 2 people, we currently have:
    16 rolls of TP
    36 rolls of PT

So we're trying to make that last as long as possible! I was able to get a good amount at the 4 stores I shopped at just yesterday.

4. whizkid

whizkid Habitué

Mar 17, 2020

So what is everyone going to do with their $1,000?

5. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Mar 17, 2020

Support local small businesses and former students in the service industry if at all possible, pay of debt with what's left. We are still getting our salary, and will have fewer expenses as we are eating out far less, driving less so using less gas, so I'd like to use it to help.

Tired Teacher and whizkid like this.
  6. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Mar 17, 2020

7. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Mar 19, 2020

Honestly, in this crazy little city I live in, I haven't personally experienced crazy behavior.
    I always have a well stocked kitchen and pantry and a freezer, so I have gone to the store 3 times the past couple of weeks only for 2-3 things I needed. The stores (grocery and Walmart) weren't unusually crowded, actually the grocery store was kinda empty. No one was acting irrational, and the grocery was well stocked (except for the TP, water, and these few items). Other than that it looked the same.
    Walmart was selectively emptied. It was still well stocked for 80% of the items, but interestingly they were out for all the cereal (but not other breakfast food, or crackers, etc), they were out of a certain soda or juice, but not the others. So that was weird.

8. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Mar 19, 2020

We don't have the virus in our county yet, but the stores are emptying out worse than they do for hurricanes. I found some cereal and milk at CVS today.

9. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Mar 19, 2020

Is that just a thing they are thinking about? "Maybe" giving everyone $1,000. I can't say I need it but I'll take it!

futuremathsprof likes this.
  10. futuremathsprof

futuremathsprof Phenom

Mar 19, 2020

11. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Mar 19, 2020

I don't love it at all. This will have a lot of consequences. Graduating seniors: are they graduating? Our students right now are not earning credit, if this continues like this, they will not graduate. Most of them have worked their butts off to get this done - our school gets a lot of credit deficient students who are then doing 40-50 credits a semester and now it will be for nothing. They have to wait another semester? They can't walk, it's just a mess.

Same goes for all other students. Yes, staying home and working home so far has been very comfortable but I feel for the students.

Secondary Teach likes this.
  12. futuremathsprof

futuremathsprof Phenom

Mar 20, 2020

My apologies. I meant that I thought YTG’s joke about prestigious private schools (he was not-so-subtly alluding to schools like mine) who stay open, was funny. I should have been more clear.

And as it stands, our seniors are on track to graduate on time and with zero disruptions. Our school, families, and community have seen to that excellently, IMO, and we have put several contingency plans in place to “weather the storm,” as it were.

The fact that the surrounding schools in my area don’t know what to do or how to transition their classes to an online forum is, well, ridiculous. Apparently, they either don’t have the means (really?) or are flat out choosing not to pursue distance learning. So basically, the students should just be put behind by almost an entire semester or more, potentially? That’s unacceptable.

And if push comes to shove, my school just had us go through an intensive week of training — yes, we had to give up our preps, but it was very rewarding to us instructional staff — in case that possibility becomes a reality. It just doesn’t make any sense to me (or us) why our public school counterparts are primarily not doing ANYTHING at all except shuttering their doors. In fact, we just had a bunch of students request to join our school and have initiated the process of transferring because they are fed up with the lack of discipline and lack of teaching, to be frank, at their present school. Our principal literally read off an email at our recent staff meeting about a prospective parent who said the instruction their student is “receiving” right now is no different than when school is not in session; that is to say, not at all. We were all outraged.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2020
    Linguist92021 likes this.
  13. Missy

Missy Aficionado

Mar 20, 2020

My district in Ohio is on spring break this week, and teachers have been given next week to prepare to teach online. We have also set up meal distribution for EVERY student in the district, and devices and hot spots are being made available to those who need to borrow them. Will it be the same as being in school? Of course not, but my public school is doing everything possible to help families.

Looks like even private schools in CA are being forced to recognize that large groups of people in close proximity are not the best choice, based on what I read this morning of Governor Newsom’s order.

Hang in there, everyone.

Tired Teacher and Backroads like this.
  14. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Mar 20, 2020

So, how is your school dealing with California's new stay-at-home requirement? I have not seen where rich private schools are considered essential.

15. RainStorm

RainStorm Phenom

Mar 20, 2020

A friend of mine (in a different state) teaches at a private school. Even though all of the public schools are closed, the teachers at this private school have to go into their classrooms every day (no students) and be on "live" from 8am-3:30pm each school day. They also have to be available to parents via email and cell phone (yes, their own private cell phones) during the day (how do you teach and do this at the same time, I'm not sure...) and evenings, as needed.

I'm sorry, but I think that is horrible! These teachers have lives, too. They have children at home (some have children that go to public school, and some have older children who have aged-out of this school (elementary) .

Can you imagine how stressful this has to be? Your kids are home alone with no one supervising or helping them with their online learning, and you are supposed to be "live" all day long? I know we are used to teaching, but being live all day?

Teaching remotely is one thing, but this is another thing all together.

16. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Mar 20, 2020

That school would have my resignation on the administrators desk first thing in the morning. I have never and would never give out my private phone number to any parent.

vickilyn likes this.
  17. futuremathsprof

futuremathsprof Phenom

Mar 20, 2020

We are all fully prepared to deliver instruction as planned, but within each of our classrooms. Teachers will be the only ones in the rooms and teaching via a webcam as students tune in on their laptops, iPads, cellular devices, etc. Tests will be administered via Google Forms.

Admin have stated we will have every resource at our disposal to ensure a smooth transition and if we need anything that we need only ask. Each of us will show up Monday through Friday during normal business hours to teach all of our classes online.

We are ready to go live on Monday and it will be pretty much business as usual. It’s not acceptable for anything less to happen, IMO.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2020
  18. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Mar 20, 2020

DH and I just found out our districts are closed through 4-20. We are available 8 to 3 daily, and starting Monday I’m going online with Zoom from 10 to 10:45 for kids to ask questions or talk. Kids do have my phone number, but it is a Google Voice number, not my actual number.

We have been talking to kids by phone, email, and Google Classroom. Lunches have been delivered. We are going to set up a system for kids to return work and pick up new work late next week. (Grades K to 7 are not 1:1 like 8-12 are, so they do mostly paper work.)

I went to school once to get my plants and drop off what needed copied for the kids for the next 10 days. I’ve been to the grocery twice, the hospital for tests once, and picked up supper once. Otherwise we have stayed home.

whizkid likes this.
  19. whizkid

whizkid Habitué

Mar 20, 2020

Wow

Tired Teacher likes this.
  20. sevenplus

sevenplus Connoisseur

Mar 20, 2020

That's privilege speaking for sure.

21. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Mar 20, 2020

I was shaking my head as I read his post.
    In my district, each administrator is responsible for serving breakfast and lunch each day. It’s our new job (for now, at least). We served well over 500 meals today!
    I had conversations with parents who are losing their jobs (and probably continue to as I type this). Most work in retail or restaurants (jobs that pay minimum wage). We (my boss and I) acted as grief counselors as we were out there feeding the community. Such a sad state of affairs. So many unknowns.
    We’ve only been out of school for a few days and the kiddos are already saying they want to come back. They thrive on structure. For now, at least we (my colleagues and I) can provide two meals per day until we head back to school (whenever that is). It truly looks like it may not be until next school year.
    Huge, deep sigh.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2020
  22. whizkid

whizkid Habitué

Mar 20, 2020

That seems to be the going sentiment every where.

Secondary Teach likes this.
  23. Backroads

Backroads Aficionado

Mar 21, 2020

I
    I agree and disagree nothing less is acceptable.

If your school is truly ready to go business as normal, that's impressive. You are able to teach online. Good. Many secondary teachers in my area commonly used online-created lessons and are also in a good spot.

I assume you have verified every single student does in fact have a device. Perhaps it's a requirement for your school or maybe you assigned everyone a device.

I assume you have verified every student is able to access Internet from home. Perhaps you've assigned hotspots or recommended open places with Internet or local providers offering free services.

Good for you if all of that happened. And really, good for you. That's awesome.

But keep in mind you have the benefit of kicking out any student who won't or can't comply.

24. futuremathsprof

futuremathsprof Phenom

Mar 21, 2020

First off, Comcast Infinity is offering free internet to all families of students affected by the school closures so lack of internet access is a non-issue.

Second, you were correct until your last statement. For students who cannot afford one, a Chromebook and/or iPad is checked out to them free of charge. Said recipients can take it home and use it until the end of the year, at which time they *must* return it. My school assigns them at the beginning of *every* academic year and I thought this was standard practice.

You know that policy that California adopted fairly recently of providing school supplies to public school students who cannot afford them? My school has been doing that for *years*. If a student truly cannot afford something, then they never go without. WE provide it for them. We literally have storage rooms that look like the inside of Staples and they are filled to the brim with school supplies.

We’ve encountered situations where students and/or their parents will exclaim that they cannot afford it to my principal and he counters with, “Here’s a Chromebook and an iPad. It will be registered to your student. The iPad has a data plan and allows you to make a hotspot, but it should be used for school purposes only. You were saying?” The family then realizes that saying “we cannot afford it” will not be accepted as we solved the problem. They HAVE to comply. Not complying is NOT an option.

We do this because a fair few of our incoming students from public schools cannot afford various things and so the school provides it “free” of charge. Really, their reduced tuition covers it.

Speaking of which, full-time tuition at my school is only like $15,000/year. For working-class families, they only pay like 50% (we don’t accept vouchers from the state) and one parent usually gets a part-time minimum-wage job cover that. It’s that simple. Minimum-wage right now in CA is $27,040/year if you work full time. By 2022, it will be $31,200/year, so our tuition is really a steal.

It is a common misconception that we generally kick out or don’t accept most kinds of students. We only screen students to see if they have criminal records and/or severe disabilities. We accept pretty much everyone else.

The difference at my school is that we actually enforce discipline. My principal/vice principals have gotten up in the face of students before and shouted at them at the top of their lungs. We’ve had security guards detain students and forcefully remove them from the classroom when they had outlandish or dangerous outbursts, we have had students indefinitely suspended and given irreversible zeros in the grade book such that failed and had to repeat classes, we have deprived students of ALL privileges and even required them to eat lunch alone in the In-Campus Suspension room every day because they didn’t shape up until they were miserable. We’ve even been known to make students clean up the campus for an hour after school every day for an entire week and miss sport practices and/or all school events if need be. We don’t mess around. Students learn that they must comply or they face the severe consequences. For example, I once witnessed a high school junior physically threaten a freshman student unknowingly in front of two of the patrolling armed-security guards. Said security guards promptly marched right up to the unsuspecting junior until they were inches away, stared down at him, and said, “Go on tough guy, make a move. See what happens and I guarantee you that you won’t like it.” I then cheered and clapped enthusiastically nearby.

THAT is how you do it. And guess what, the student never did it again as far as I know. They seem quite spooked.

We even hire people just to handle detentions because it is a full-time job with what we make students do when they misbehave.

You know, it’s funny how we inherit students with problem behaviors, but yet they have a miraculous turnaround under our tutelage. Hm, I “wonder” why that is? :D

Backroads and Tired Teacher like this.
  25. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Mar 21, 2020

Backroads and Tired Teacher like this.
  26. Tired Teacher

Tired Teacher Devotee

Mar 21, 2020

[OMGoodness! People worked their butts off this wk....the hardest week I have had all yr. My cushy job this year has changed. ( I never have had an easier yr. ) School is now out for kids until the end of the yr. The kids haven't been in for 2 weeks.

Almost all of us are now are prepping/ or are teaching online courses from home. We have to be "live" part of the day. Then online and available during the afternoon. ( grading, prepping, answering phone/ email, making videos, documenting, calling, and much more.

Once I am really comfy w/ the systems, it will be easier. It threw me a bit of a learning curb, but it can be done. We work from home too. It is going to be a challenge to keep the kids motivated and parents happy.
    I don't understand why admin is handing out lunches. Do you not have lunchroom staff?
    It concerns me that some of these younger kids are lacking structure at home and may not have the self discipline to work on their own. Man, we need to put on a happy face and be as entertaining as possible.

whizkid and Secondary Teach like this.
  27. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Mar 21, 2020

Our café staff is working hard in the lunchroom prepping the brown bags. Lots of lots of breakfast and lunches to get ready. Meanwhile, my boss and I hand them out in the parking lot (it’s walk-up and drive-thru service). I’m more than happy to work a 4-5 hour shift handing out food (keep in mind I’m still collecting my regular salary). Plus, the kids and parents need to see a familiar, happy face.

whizkid, Backroads, swansong1 and 2 others like this.
  28. Tired Teacher

Tired Teacher Devotee

Mar 21, 2020

WHY? Common sense! There are consequences for their actions! I know it is not like this everywhere, but we are not allowed to even use natural consequences w/ some kids. They tell us that their disability or trauma is causing the kid to throw stuff or cuss people out. Therefore, even a natural consequence is seen as punitive. I don't know how a lot of teachers can do it much longer. I guess it is not a problem now though. The parents of these kids now have them home all day long.

29. Tired Teacher

Tired Teacher Devotee

Mar 21, 2020

Oh, OK. That is nice to do, I just figured you have 101 other things that probably need to be done too.
    We have drop off zones ( bus drivers). I talked to some kids this week ( not in person) and it was sad how some really missed school, teachers, and friends.
    A few are having a heyday, goofing off, playing video games, and doing whatever they feel like. This lack of structure and parenting is really hurting some kids bad.

30. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Mar 21, 2020

Well, it sounds like you're at a wondefull school. It also sounds a little like you're bragging. Yet, I see some issues and of course not every district can do what you do.

1. Our school district cannot afford to give each student a Chromebook with data plan. We do have quite a few class sets, but it's not enough. Our district has been moving schools around and merging them and changing programs just to keep all teachers and not issue pink slips.
    2. Your discipline sounds a bit off. Your principal shouldn't be "getting in the face of students shouting at them at the top of his lungs." I have taught some of the worst behavior students, for 5-6 years and the above behavior is not discipline. It's overacting, bullying, intimidating. I can't believe your school is ok with that.
    3. While - by law and Ed code- we are allowed to isolate students during lunch, and that is an effective method, we are not allowed to make them clean up or do any physical work. That falls under corporal punishment. In the past our principal asked students to do that during their detention, if they wanted to, and often they did because it also showed us how remorseful they were. But never made them.
    4. We cannot give "indefinite" suspensions, I'm sure most schools can't. Sounds like abuse of power. And zeros in the grade book? While the kid is in suspension, he still needs work so he can at least do some.
    5. your $15000 tuition 'which a steal', is impossible for most people around here. A lot of families struggle just to pay rent and keep the power on and food on the table. Before I got my degree and worked 'regular" jobs, not minimum wage, actually got paid ok, but I was a single parent, so any kinda tuition would have been impossible for me. Even paying for after school care was a lot for me. To get another job to cover it? I would have never seen my child.
    6. Our school and district cannot afford to hire people to hold detentions.
    7. horrible kids turn around under your tutelage?? Probably because of all the abuse of power and getting yelled at all the time. They're behaving out of fear. And, I'm assuming if a parent has to pay $15000 for tuition, they might give out a few a.. whooping at home to make sure the money doesn't go to waste :)

I think you need to maybe open your eyes and understand that a lot of people in this country are not wealthy. And a lot are struggling to the point that they can't afford to pay for internet. And now with everything going on, it will be much worse for a lot of them

rpan, creativemonster, MissyB and 4 others like this.
  31. Tired Teacher

Tired Teacher Devotee

Mar 21, 2020

OK I am not normally a germaphobe, but I would not want their work returned like that at all. Over the yrs, I have seen many a papers turned in w/ boogers on them. I have gotten hw back w/ part of dinner spilled on it. Some papers came back wet. Can't you guys have the kids send it back online? I am guessing maybe your school is not passing out computers. I'd put the papers up for 14 days before grading them, I think! :) Maybe return w/ some funny stories of what you find "on" returned work. :) Stay healthy! Maybe use gloves to grade papers!

32. Tired Teacher

Tired Teacher Devotee

Mar 21, 2020

Most of our schools are close to ready if not ready and working. ( Some are kind of trial and error, but most of us have some online teaching training/ experience from when they wanted to do "Flipped Classrooms." ) Some kind of saw this coming a week ahead of time. The huge problem is keeping kids motivated, engaged, and getting into the habit of being online for school.
    The kids and parents will have to take more responsibility now. I think it will work for many, but it won't for some of these kids who have parents without control , or don't help or encourage them.
    We have no truancy laws with any teeth in our state. Anyone can "home school" their kid with any program they want. They do not even have to register anywhere.

A kid I know who is basically "raised by/ a pack of wolves" siblings with no direction last week about broke my heart when he told me how much he missed me. He was so sincere. I am older and tired, lol, but he was is 1 of those kids I'd like to adopt. With a decent home life, he'd have a chance. Plus, he'd probably give me a renewed energy! He has enough to share and spare! :) We can't save the world, but sometimes it is hard with kids like him.

Backroads likes this.
  33. Tired Teacher

Tired Teacher Devotee

Mar 21, 2020

OK Whizkid, I had to get your attention to let you know this. It pays to be kind to people despite their walk in life. Our stores are now out of about everything from what I hear. Here is the kicker:
    Someone from a very unique way of life asked me how it was going. I joked that it would be better w/ sanitizer. An hour later, he came back and handed me a bag. Guess what was inside? BOTTLES of sanitizer! Where did he get them? I am clueless! He doesn't have much money. I am really glad that I did not pay 699. for that "new box."

34. Tired Teacher

Tired Teacher Devotee

Mar 21, 2020

We are live 1/2 the day too and many of our families are poor.
    It comes down to how many will take advantage of what we can offer. It is seriously going to take us the other 1/2 of the day ( if not longer) to get all of the stuff done that we need. The only part that is way easier is working from home and no discipline problems. I wasn't dealing w/ that this yr anyways. I guess this is an experiment for us. I think we can do it, but I am worried about a few who may just not connect.

35. Backroads

Backroads Aficionado

Mar 21, 2020

We do, but we are on bare bones staff. Lunch staff and admin and office all may be doing this job.

36. Tired Teacher

Tired Teacher Devotee

Mar 21, 2020

Swan, I was adamant about not giving my phone # to parents too for many years. It irked me that the schools pretty much made you use your phones, but did not pay the bill for other duties too. It's not about $, but the principle.
    Anyways, with all of these changes, I have done a turn around. My cell will make my life a lot easier. I will put it away at 3:30 or at least turn the ringer off.. My friends and family know to call me on my unlisted home phone. Then after the year is up, I am changing my number.

37. Tired Teacher

Tired Teacher Devotee

Mar 21, 2020

That is an unreasonable expectation to say the least. 1/2 time live looks like it will work for us so far w/ the other 1/2 used for other parts of our jobs. I couldn't do all day online because it takes so long to prep this stuff due to the quick change. A lot of us are pitching in and teaching different subjects too. I'd quit if they told us we had to be online the entire day.

38. Tired Teacher

Tired Teacher Devotee

Mar 21, 2020

Are the admin, lunch ladies, and custodians the only ones working at school?

39. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Mar 21, 2020

I agree that you should change your number at the end of the year, but I have had the same number for over 30 years and I have too much life stuff connected with that number. I would probably get a google number and share that with the families.

40. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Mar 21, 2020

We are required to keep loose office hours between 9-11 and 1:30-3:30. We are required to post assignments to Google Classroom at least weekly, and take 1-2 grades each week.

Anything beyond that is encouraged but not required.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.