Kind of shocked.....

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Tired Teacher, Mar 12, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tired Teacher

Tired Teacher Devotee

Mar 12, 2020

I have a major vent too.
    I go to the store about 2x a month because of where I live.
    I went today and was dumbfounded. Somebody had cleaned out the bread aisle, toilet paper, and hand sanitizer (HS).
    I won't say the name of the store, but you talk about price gouging! I know the prices of stuff I buy normally. There was nothing I buy on sale and everything was jacked up!
    lightbulbs 28 bucks, normally $9.
    It reminded me of a store before a major hurricane was coming elsewhere.
    Are others seeing price gouging? I think it is illegal.
    In a 5-6 hour radius, I think we have 7 stores. That is not counting very small general stores, but 4 of the 7 stores are not big.
    A friend called me and asked me to look for HS while I was at that store. That is why I know there was none.
    People need to keep a reasonable stash of items they use on hand. They could save a ton of $$$ like in times like this and wouldn't have to not have certain items.
    I'm thankful I have yeast and flour. I'll just use the bread maker.
    What kind of person or people go out and buy ALL of the bread?
    After I called a relative, they told me 1 of the stores was limiting the amount of certain items 1 could buy. They still did not have a lot of things there including produce. ( Like that is going to last if people over bought....)
    I guess it is a wake up call to people to buy when prices are low and supplies are plentiful. If this keeps up, I am not going back to the store for a long time. Frozen veggies and fruit will just be the norm.

3. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Mar 13, 2020

People are going nuts at stores. Lots of things are out of stock. Stores should have been implementing purchase limits a while ago (they have just put up signs this week). Even the limit of 6 is ridiculous. Nobody needs 6 of something when other people need it too. Our governor has said that if anyone observes price gouging they should report it. It should not be tolerated.
    I was thinking of just buying some extra frozen foods in case I can't leave my house. I don't need 900 rolls of toilet paper!!!!

Tired Teacher and Backroads like this.
  4. Backroads

Backroads Aficionado

Mar 13, 2020

My weird soap obsession quirk has paid off.

I'm actually not worried, but I do have soap if it comes to bartering.

Tired Teacher likes this.
  5. Tired Teacher

Tired Teacher Devotee

Mar 13, 2020

OK This is kind of disgusting, but I saw a post that had 2 people. 1 said, "I'm not shaking hands w/ people because of the Corona Virus." The other said, " Well I'm not shaking hands w/ people because lots of them are out of toilet paper." :)

3Sons, SpecialPreskoo and Backroads like this.
  6. Tired Teacher

Tired Teacher Devotee

Mar 13, 2020

OK We know who is hoarding the soap now. :) There was not even 1 case of the virus in our state until last night.
    Most people I know are pretty prepared for emergencies.
    No1 I know had been to the stores, I guess except 1. That was why I was so shocked.

7. whizkid

whizkid Habitué

Mar 13, 2020

I saw a small bottle of sanitizer online for $5 plus shipping. Ridiculous.

8. Tired Teacher

Tired Teacher Devotee

Mar 13, 2020

My OCD friend would be on me now about this....telling me to save receipts. I wish I had a receipt from last month to show the price comparison.
    I won't admit it to him though! ;) I buy a lot of the same stuff each time I go, so I could prove it. Every price was higher except 1 thing I didn't need.
    I really can't believe it, but I did see it happen like this yrs ago elsewhere. I am seriously considering turning their butts in because it is a chain store and should know better.

whizkid likes this.
  9. whizkid

whizkid Habitué

10. Tired Teacher

Tired Teacher Devotee

Mar 13, 2020

The cost of that bottle would be 20 bucks here IF they had it. I heard 1 of the stores got the "recipe" for their their stores hand sanitizer, ordered the needed items in mass, and will be making their own to sell to the public. I guess that is 1 way to do it.

11. whizkid

whizkid Habitué

12. Tired Teacher

Tired Teacher Devotee

Mar 13, 2020

Whiz, dang! 34 bucks and you were not kidding! It is a tiny bottle! But wow, it comes with a new box. lol

13. Backroads

Backroads Aficionado

Mar 13, 2020

It's not hoarding. it is a disturbingly deep appreciation for pretty bars and cute bottles of something that is also functional.

14. whizkid

whizkid Habitué

Mar 13, 2020

Oh yes, for $34 it better have a new box!

15. whizkid

whizkid Habitué

Mar 13, 2020

What is the "make up days" law in everyone's state?

16. Tired Teacher

Tired Teacher Devotee

Mar 13, 2020

Nice reframing! :) JK

Backroads likes this.
  17. Tired Teacher

Tired Teacher Devotee

Mar 13, 2020

I seriously need to learn our state's make up laws. I know in many yrs, we have NEVER had a snow day despite BAD conditions.
    They just do late starts and tell parents not to come if they feel it is unsafe. Teachers still need to show for the late start.
    I hope they do what some1 suggested of just writing this time off as a freebie. ;)

Backroads likes this.
  18. viola_x_wittrockiana

viola_x_wittrockiana Comrade

Mar 13, 2020

Exactly. I'm glad my SO and I have always shopped that way. We've got plenty of soaps and sanitizer because we buy the Bath and Body Works soaps only when they're at the semi-annual sale prices. We buy 6 months worth of soap at a time, and just bought 3 months ago.

My mother shows love with food, so we've got loads of pasta and mac n cheese she got dirt cheap and sent home with us. Picked up some frozen veg last week, so it's just fresh stuff we'll have to eat while we can.

I would recommend that anyone who lives with/cares for an at-risk person pick up some canned or powdered milk if milk is something you use. I also suggest some pedialyte or powdered gatorade. It all keeps well and would get used eventually if you don't end up needing it now.

From experience with multiple severe respiratory illnesses, mashed potatoes are a staple. I ate nothing but potatoes for over a week as a kid with pneumonia because they were the only thing I could safely eat between coughs. No need to chew, and harder than soup to go down the wrong way.

Tired Teacher and Backroads like this.
  19. Tired Teacher

Tired Teacher Devotee

Mar 13, 2020

Most definitely! I always keep powdered milk to cook with in case I don't have regular or soy milk.
    I buy stuff like staples every 3- 6 months depending on shelf life.
    There was produce at the market I went to yesterday, but I started thinking. (I wasn't really phased by the virus until I SAW the store w/ empty shelves and sky high prices and heard a WA politician talk about killing Grandpa.)
    I decided not to buy the produce after all because we get most produce from WA and if it has been touched by the wrong person, it might be contaminated. Plus, the price of stuff was unreal!
    I think if it is not cooked by me, I am not going to eat it for awhile w/ the exception of protein bars. :) I already had my stash of them! I am going to miss salads though!.
    Hopefully, people will learn from this too and keep their pantries stocked in case of emergencies. I don't love canned goods, but rotate supplies of them yearly because I think they are just as important as toilet paper. lol

20. sevenplus

sevenplus Connoisseur

Mar 13, 2020

I found about 8 bottles of expired hand sanitizer in a cabinet in my classroom. Wonder how much I could get for it.

whizkid and Tired Teacher like this.
  21. Tired Teacher

Tired Teacher Devotee

Mar 13, 2020

It would be kind of funny to see how much on ebay! :)

sevenplus and whizkid like this.
  22. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Mar 14, 2020

I found it on amazon for $699!

Tired Teacher and sevenplus like this.
  23. RainStorm

RainStorm Phenom

Mar 14, 2020

You could sell the sanitizer on ebay, and use the money to buy pencils for when your kids return. J/K

Tired Teacher and sevenplus like this.
  24. sevenplus

sevenplus Connoisseur

Mar 14, 2020

I guess as long as I disclose the expiration dates I could sell it. It's from 2017 and 2018 but it's unopened. Don't think the alcohol content could have evaporated too much if it isn't open.

I'm going to be rich!
    (Kidding. If anything I'd give it away.)

25. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Mar 14, 2020

We usually do a big city shopping trip about every 4 to 6 weeks, the run to the small local store for fresh items.

FB has been full of postings with pictures of empty store shelves and stories about huge crowds and hateful people.

We weren’t completely out of anything except snacks, but it was time to replenish our freezer. We got up at 3am to go to Walmart. (It’s 20 miles away in the next county.) There were very few people there. The only completely empty shelves were the toilet paper and the disinfecting wipes. Other things were normal or maybe a little picked through, but no more than after the first Saturday of the month shoppers go through a store.

We spent about $300 on food, which is a little more than usual for a month since we went ahead and got things that we would usually grab locally after a big shopping trip.

I don’t get the toilet paper thing. There are two of us in our house, and we don’t even use a roll a week. I buy toilet paper whenever it is on sale and I have a good coupon, so we always have several packages on hand.

Honestly, it is rare that we run out of anything. I guess that’s a perk of living in a rural area. We can’t just quickly run to the store any time we need something, so we prepare more. For instance, whenever I open an item we use often, I’ll put it on my list to buy next time we shop.

26. sevenplus

sevenplus Connoisseur

Mar 14, 2020

Honestly I didn't even look to see how much toilet paper we have. H buys it and we generally have 1 24(?) pack at a time.

My level of concern about toilet paper is zero.

And, although I've used toilet paper my entire life, I don't consider it an essential item. I cloth- diapered my kids and would have no problem using cloth wipes for all of us if it came to that (which I doubt it will).

27. Tired Teacher

Tired Teacher Devotee

Mar 14, 2020

It is amazing how much people will pay for something like that!

whizkid likes this.
  28. whizkid

whizkid Habitué

Mar 14, 2020

29. Tired Teacher

Tired Teacher Devotee

Mar 14, 2020

Just reminded me of how some people are sad because their class of kids won't get to come to school for wks. They worry about if the kids will have breakfast and lunch. Some are upset that they can't access their buildings even.
    I guess I am burnt b/c I am glad we are closing. We have to go back 1 day at least. Then we might be able to work from home.
    People have easy access to a few free foods here. It may not be what they want exactly , but it is there.
    Also, schools are going to deliver both meals via school bus prepackaged daily.( Along w/ wkend supplies.)
    The vast majority of people here could make their kids a PB sandwich or oatmeal for breakfast, but they have gotten out of the habit since the school supplies all.
    Also, kids might refuse the oatmeal because they are so used to the sweetened cereals schools give them. Yeah, I am def burnt to a crisp.
    Rain, I know you were J/K...:) It just reminded me of the way some teachers still would do that for real! ;)

Last edited: Mar 14, 2020
  30. Tired Teacher

Tired Teacher Devotee

Mar 14, 2020

The people here have not been hateful, but when I was at the store, some seemed embarrassed. They were stocking up way more than normal, I am guessing.
    We do have a Walmart a few hours away, but it is so dirty. Also. don't they get most of their stuff from China?
    I am not out of anything I need, so I am not going there. I have a friend who tends to keep stocked on certain items that I don't overstock. I have stuff she doesn't. We might be playing "Let's make a deal" for awhile. :)

31. Tired Teacher

Tired Teacher Devotee

Mar 14, 2020

I can see how the young guy thought it was a clever idea, but did not think it through well enough. ( With hospitals having to ration supplies and sick people not being able to afford it.)
    I wonder if he could have an old fashioned garage sale?

32. Tired Teacher

Tired Teacher Devotee

Mar 14, 2020

I have had this same discussion w/ a couple of people who both were totally grossed out by the idea. Most people I know nowadays don't have laundry rooms here. Instead they have washers and dryers in 1/2 baths. Maybe just the way they build places around here.
    I think a lot of people do not remember cloth diaper days.....lol Nowadays people think disposable diapers are just as needed as baby formula.

33. vickilyn

vickilyn Multitudinous

Mar 14, 2020

I suspect the cost of shipping the goods has gone up dramatically, and instead of absorbing those fees on the freight, the new owner is passing those new charges directly on to the final customer - you. They probably usually try to order the staples at a time of year when freight costs are somewhat down. Now, however, the need is great, the weather stinks, and everyone, from the largest to the smallest business, want their new orders NOW, or earlier if possible, which almost always means you pay extra to go to the front of the line.

34. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Mar 15, 2020

The things were were getting were not made in China, but I’d think some things are just because a lot of items are made there in general. We got food and a few toiletries which aren’t as likely to be imported from China.

35. rpan

rpan Cohort

Mar 15, 2020

I’m in Australia. But I don’t live in a big city. We have few cases of the virus. My supermarket has all the essentials, including toilet paper. I mean things aren’t fully stocked and some things like flour and toilet paper are picked over but still available to buy. We haven’t completely lost our heads in my city but in the larger cities, some people have lost their minds, fighting over groceries! I feel sorry for the elderly folk who just want to do their weekly shop but can’t because shelves are bare. Or have to wait in line for an hour to check out. It’s heartbreaking.

36. a2z

a2z Maven

Mar 15, 2020

I'm shocked by the multiple packs of Costco toilet paper in people's cart, but I am not as surprised by staple foods going empty. If people are looking to stay two weeks in a house with the entire family home, they need to stock up (but I don't understand produce being gone since it doesn't last that long). Large percentages of people doing 2 week shopping instead of a few day shopping or a weekly shopping will empty shelves quickly - look at snow storm or hurricane prep. Everyone rushing at one time clears shelves.

Ask any cashier who works in a grocery store, they will tell you there are the one week people, the two week people and the almost every day people shopping for goods. Telling the country we have to go into lockdown and may be quarantined for at least two weeks if your household is hit by the virus or you are around someone who is hit by the virus makes every one clear the shelves.

But who needs 64 rolls of toilet paper for two weeks?

37. Tired Teacher

Tired Teacher Devotee

Mar 15, 2020

This is a very plausible reason, but if this were the case, why are they out of so many things?

38. Tired Teacher

Tired Teacher Devotee

Mar 15, 2020

When they 1st built the WM, I'd go there for certain items you can't find elsewhere. It was cleaner then. A few years ago though, I noticed something that surprised me.
    Del Monte was an American brand advertised growing up. ( Like apple pie. :) ) I looked at a case/ can of Del Monte fruit and saw it was packaged in China.
    I am glad I never bet anyone $ about that because I was 100% wrongly sure it was made in America. :)
    I think the reason WM has lower prices is they buy a lot from China and pay their employees poorly. ( So they qualify for Food Stamps and Medicaid.) Still they have things that I can't find elsewhere. So I make the trek a couple of times a yr. :)

39. whizkid

whizkid Habitué

Mar 15, 2020

The shelves are on E.

40. Tired Teacher

Tired Teacher Devotee

Mar 15, 2020

Same here! I am glad my sister's husband, my kids and I have all kept all basic supplies on hand over the years. I just got off of the phone w/ my elderly dad. He says he doesn't need anything for now, so that is good.
    I told him ( suggested) that he stay out of stores. If he needs anything 1, of us probably has it and can make the trek. It could be really bad for those who do not have kids here.

41. vickilyn

vickilyn Multitudinous

Mar 15, 2020

Panic buying explains the lack of items - same as it does here in NJ. But you have limited stores to choose from, and figure out how expensive it is to get items from the lower 49, and suddenly it a seller's market. Some are price gouging, but as this epidemic has grown so large, I would imagine that everyone who has had anything at all to do with making or shipping the goods has also had to pay more to be able to provide whatever is in the shipping containers.

I have been to the stores near me, and popped into a couple that I don't normally go to, just to get some bread. The prices haven't gone through the roof (yet), but I am still without bread for almost a week. Do I think it is going to get better in a day or two? Nope, I'm guessing worse, because kids are out of school, so lunches will have to be prepared at home, instead of handing the kids enough money to buy the school lunch. Now everyone is going to be looking for bread, and I'm competing with families that are getting ready to have all of their school age kids home day after day. I think my chance of finding a loaf or two of hubby "approved" bread is slim to none, but I will make an effort. It isn't taking me long to imagine what you must feel like to have so few stores to choose from, have long distances to drive for anything that you don't have on hand in your home, and then add in snow and ice to complicate those "short commutes", and if I found the items at long last, I would be thinking how much time and effort I put in just to get what's on my list, so I may decide to buy 25 loaves of bread instead of the 5 I was originally going to buy. The cost would be felt in my wallet, but at least I know I can put this bread in a freezer and I won't have to worry about it going bad. It is supply and demand, and there is virtually no way to predict exactly what will become the next "must have it" item on hand.

I do think that China's lack of production can be felt in many items, including HS. I just saw some satellite pictures that show how much the pollution in China had cleared since so many of the manufacturing plants are still shut down. You could see NASA photos that compare pictures of the skies when in production vs when everything was shut down and it is an amazing comparison. Maybe the lightbulbs you were looking for are made in China or a close by competitor, but their plant doors have been shuttered, and their number of workers has been decimated by the sheer number of people who have been sick, or who were caring for sick relatives.

Well, I'm thinking this is a fool's errand, but I will once more head out in a search for bread - what a great way to start my week. My consolation is that we've only had about 6 inches of snow all winter, so roads are dry to drive on, and there is no snow or slush to trudge through - that truly works for me. Let me wish you happy shopping!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.