kind of random...

Discussion in 'General Education Archives' started by kem, Apr 5, 2007.

1. kem

kem Companion

Apr 5, 2007

Sorry, not really a teacher question, but my niece, nephews and I need some help! We are all on spring break this week, so I am babysitting for them. Usually we spend a lot of time outside, but the weather is awful this week, so we've been insided WAY too much and are getting bored! My niece is 10, and the boys are 8 and 5. Any fun ideas for us? Thanks!

3. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Apr 5, 2007

Well, I just put a batch of brownies into the oven with my 3 kids.

4. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Apr 5, 2007

Decorate easter eggs.

Play hot cold
    Make a scavenger hunt. My aunt used to do that with me all the time. At the end was just a book or something I liked her to read to me.

Make up a new game of tag. Scoot around on the floor on your bottoms. You can't use your hands to move and have to tag with your elbows.

make play dough?

5. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Apr 5, 2007

Have THEM make tonight's dinner with some help from you. They can design the menu, set the table, and do as much of the cooking as you want.

6. Missy

Missy Aficionado

Apr 5, 2007

Make play-dough.

Clean out a closet and take the stuff to Goodwill.

Do a big jigsaw puzzle.

7. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

Apr 5, 2007

How about putting on some music and dancing or writing messages with invisible ink? Card games are fun too. Teach them how to play spades.

8. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Apr 5, 2007

Look at your local city's website and see if they have any free stuff planned.
    If the weather is good, take your crew to the park. Go kite flying.
    Play Red Light/Green Light (and some other silly color lights) to help them clean the room in a fun way.
    We love card/domino games. That gives me ideas for tonight.
    Have them help you with some teacher prep, making a new game board, etc.
    Mine want and are going with me tmw to dress up a bulletin board.
    Have them make an inventory of stuff in your classroom. That would be kind of fun.
    Print some printables (games, mazes, decoding stuff) and make them a travel fun type book (put in a folder). My kids love these.
    Is it warm enough for sprinklers?
    Will mom pay for a day at an amusement park?
    Is there a nearby children's or science museum (age appropriate)?
    Sit outside and let them play ball and you sip some lemonaide. Break for some watermelon.
    Dump some crafts on the table and have them create something (like music instruments). If the older one needs something more specific, have some printouts of some activities ready.
    Have the older one hide eggs for the younger one. Put words cut up and scrambled into the eggs for the older ones to find and decode.
    If you feel like having a t.v. day, have them write out/design a t.v. guide. Have them make a chart of their programs, channels etc. Then write short sentences about what kind of show, what the show was about etc for your approval of that kind of show.

9. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Apr 5, 2007

Cut I think it is probably a little to cold in Wisconsin to play outside in a sprinkler or sit outside and sip lemonade. If it's anything like Maine at least. We just got a foot of snow. What a pain.

10. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

Apr 5, 2007

I don't envy you. We are breaking records (cold) every night for the next 5 days. The wind is enough to blow you away.

11. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Apr 5, 2007

LMBO. I did say, "if it isn't too cold." It's spring break (as of tmw) and I was too lazy to scroll up and look at where she was from. That's pretty baaaaadddd! I even thought about it, but decided it was easier to type the suggestion than scroll up.

12. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Apr 5, 2007

That is pretty funny. So where are you that it is warm enough?
    About two hours ago I was ready to move south for the rest of my life.

13. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Apr 5, 2007

Nope, it will be 40 degrees here all weekend. I'm disappointed. I grew up in the South though so it's a little strange for it not to be hot during spring break.

14. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Apr 5, 2007

Just plop them in front of the tv.:D

Just kidding. The above teachers gave some great ideas. Can't really add more.

15. bonneb

bonneb Fanatic

Apr 5, 2007

New card games are fun. Does anyone know the card game "Hello Sir, Hello Miss" ??? It is so fun, but only two can play.

Play in a warm bath with your bathing suit on and blow bubbles. If it is really cold, go outside and blow bubbles and they might freeze! For the windy places it is so fun to go out with bubbles and let the wind blow the bubbles for you. We live in a very windy place and the kids are just amazed at this.

If you have fresh snow, make snow ice cream.

16. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

Apr 5, 2007

spoons is fun and easy to teach as well.

17. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

Apr 5, 2007

Pull out a blanket and have a picnic - have the kids help prepare and use a picnic basket if you have one. If not find an easter basket in a pinch. Play summer music like The Beach Boys.

Make homemade play dough, you might be surprised how much older kids will get into making something with it.

Find some readers theater or plays to perform - or make up one from a favorite book. Have them rehearse and make costumes all day. Perform it for parents that evening.

Good Luck! :)

18. Research_Parent

Research_Parent Cohort

Apr 5, 2007

If your going to make homemade playdough, you can also make homemade slime as well.