Kind of a dumb question about interviews.

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by Boba, Aug 14, 2015.

1. Boba

Boba Companion

Aug 14, 2015

How many people at a time usually interview you? For me, I typically have 4-7 people asking me questions. How do you all remember names?! Do you actually write down their names during the interview?

3. burgandy01

burgandy01 Rookie

Aug 14, 2015

usually 4. I can never remember names, I just refer to the website.

In fact, Recently I had my husband call randomly to ask for two of their names. He got 100 questions about why he needed to know, got frazzled, and hung up. In this case the PE coach wasn't mentioned on the website and HR sent me to a machine (I was wanting to send out thank you cards). Finally, I called a nearby elementary and they gave me his name. What a hassle!

4. Boba

Boba Companion

Aug 14, 2015

LMAO. I've been trying to do that. I'm so bad with names though that I cannot even remember first names. I'm now trying to locate a principal from what could be 1 of 3 schools. I remember where he sat in my interview but I'm clueless on what his name is. I've Googled and tried to find pictures but I'm just blanking out on him.

5. burgandy01

burgandy01 Rookie

Aug 14, 2015

I'd be impressed if anyone remembers all the names. As though we don't have enough on our minds, lol. I hope you're able to locate it.

6. Boba

Boba Companion

Aug 14, 2015

After 2 days of research I located a local newsletter that shows all the schools in these adjacent neighborhoods. They include pictures of the principals and I think I found him so I emailed him! He may have already hired. I found out 2 of the 4 schools did hire someone already but I specifically wanted to email this one because he showed an interest in my PowerPoints and asked for copies.

7. burgandy01

burgandy01 Rookie

Aug 14, 2015

Nice!

8. smile3

smile3 Rookie

Aug 15, 2015

Typically 3-6

I dont remember names- if you do its a bonus!

Just make sure you know all of their names so you can send thank you note via email after the interview

9. Boba

Boba Companion

Aug 15, 2015

How can you do that if you don't catch all their names?!

10. sevenplus

sevenplus Connoisseur

Aug 16, 2015

As a teacher I've been on our interview team for 6+ years. I have never once gotten a thank you note or email.

We interview all candidates within 2 or 3 days and make a decision immediately after the last interview. Then our principal calls the references of the top candidate (or top 2 depending on the situation).

11. smile3

smile3 Rookie

Aug 16, 2015

I try and remember a few of their names if not I try and remember their title- go on the school website and see the staff directory-

Their emails are listed there and this could help you- also before the interview just ask is this is a panel interview and see who is interviewing you...

12. miatorres

miatorres Comrade

Aug 21, 2015

I think that this is an intelligent question about interviewing.

I know of one school where the interviewers wear name badges. This must help candidates with remembering names.

Another way to remember names is to review the staff directory on the school website before the interview (if the website has this information). Read some of the staff members' biographies if they are available. When the interview takes place, the interviewer's names may be familiar to you if you have already reviewed the directory.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2015
  13. Boba

Boba Companion

Aug 21, 2015

See I think that's different with my interviews then. I don't usually just get staff from 1 school. I usually get staff from 1 school, district people, and sometimes another school just to make it more difficult!

14. miatorres

miatorres Comrade

Aug 21, 2015

It's possible that the district might be asking a variety of people from the main office and another school to sit on the interview panel in order to hear input from different individuals, rather than only individuals who work at the school.

Another reason why the district may be using the approach you described is to send a message to candidates that the district works as a team and does not have each school work in isolation.

15. Obadiah

Obadiah Groupie

Aug 22, 2015

An idea I once found in a memory book is to mnemonically store the names upon introduction by finding a physical or coincidental feature that somewhat resembles the person's name. For example:
    Miss Mary Bell was wearing a dress that was somewhat "bell" shaped. She was a "merry" person to talk with. Mr. Ed Freeman had a "hoarse" sounding voice, so I would think of "Mr. Ed" the "horse" wanting to roam "freely". Miss Tammy Thomas looked doubtful when I answered a question, so I might think of "doubting Thomas". Then immediately after the interview, I could jot down the names; (as teachers we know this isn't in permanent memory, yet). The spelling could be checked on a website, afterwards.
    Best wishes to everyone on landing your positions!

16. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 22, 2015

Why would you have your HUSBAND call? There's really no problem with calling a school office and letting them know who you are and asking the secretary for the names of the people on the interview panel. It shows you are caring, conscientious.

17. Boba

Boba Companion

Aug 22, 2015

Hah well if I wasn't so concentrated on answering questions I would try to do associations like that.