Kids who speed through work

Discussion in 'Second Grade' started by twincheryl, Oct 13, 2007.

1. twincheryl

twincheryl Rookie

Oct 13, 2007

Does anyone have an interesting way to keep kids from speeding through their work? I have several (who happen to be quite bright and quick learners) who speed through anything and everything I give them. There is no reward in my class for finishing early and no special privilege when they finish.

If it's messy, I make them go back and re-do it... if they do something wrong, I make them correct it... They just seem to have a competitive need to finish before anyone else. I just wish they would slow down!

3. mom&teacher

mom&teacher Companion

Oct 13, 2007

Make them a packet of brain buster activities! I made one of these for one of my students last week. He decided, very quickly, that he would take his time! Also, don't let him correct something and let him see what rushing does! If the student is finding everything easy then I would start giving him additional work, not just brain busters, meaningful work!

4. mom&teacher

mom&teacher Companion

Oct 13, 2007

I used him a lot, which is funny because my student was a she. Sorry!!!

5. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Oct 14, 2007

I only allow students to read or work on a book report when finished so most of my speed workers have slowed down.

I have an enrichment period when kids can work on other activities and students who need tutoring or extra time can work on class work.