Kids who say no

Discussion in 'Preschool' started by missapril81, Oct 11, 2007.

1. missapril81

missapril81 Companion

Oct 11, 2007

kids who say no to everything. is it because they are bored, and what are some strategies you use. i have a young class mostly 3s so for some first time in school.

3. JenPooh

JenPooh Virtuoso

Oct 11, 2007

Bored? How do they say it when they say no? Are they polite, like they are declining to do an activity? Or are they being sassy? If they are sassy then it's definitly not because they are bored! It's because they need discipline.

4. Roswenth

Roswenth Rookie

Oct 11, 2007

It is age appropriate. However, ones who say no all the time and follow that with action usually do so because Mom and Dad give in to them when they do. They've learned it gets them whatever they want.

I have learned that I just have to stop playing that game, and they figure out that they can't 'con' you.

5. JenPooh

JenPooh Virtuoso

Oct 11, 2007

ITA!

6. Joyride

Joyride Comrade

Oct 11, 2007

I think the adult's response is important when a child says "No!" frequently. If you're strict about it, they'll probably keep doing it just to get on your nerves and test you. I think saying "No" is a lot like kids taking their shoes off all day long. If you keep insisting that they wear them, they'll probably do it more. If you calmly help them put their shoes back on, perhaps while distracting them with something else, they'll get bored with it. If it's a child who won't, say, sit on timeout, maybe you can get your director to take the child out for a minute or two.

If it's a case of a child just not wanting to participate, give them some time and they'll come around, or spend more time observing them to see what motivates them.

7. slickchik

slickchik Rookie

Oct 19, 2007

The trick with 2-3 year olds is to be REALLY REALLY excited about what you want them to do. Make it seem like the coolest thing ever to come to preschool. Usually they will come check it out.

Also, give lots of praise to children who do come over for activities, etc. Talk up about what big kids they are and how cool it is that they are coming to activity.

8. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Aficionado

Oct 19, 2007

At this age, I think children say "no" just to see if they can. I find that if they say no and then I insist they do something, the will listen. They were just checking to see if I really meant it. I try to give choices whenever possible ("Which first - hat or mittens?") and make it clear when there is no choice. ("Could you please clean up?" VS. "It is time to clean up").

9. scmom

scmom Enthusiast

Oct 19, 2007

You got some good advise.

Also, never ask a question you may not like the answer to. Too many parents ask their children if they want to do things instead of tell them. "Ready to go to bed?" instead of "It is time to go to bed." Sometimes I hear myself making the same mistake.