Kids who are not doing work

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by Cthdenver, Oct 1, 2007.

1. Cthdenver

Cthdenver Rookie

Oct 1, 2007

What do you do with kids who just dont want to do work. I spoke to parents and some kids just still sit in class and find a way to waist time with something else other then whats being done in class? What do you do with these kids?

3. Reb0028

Reb0028 Rookie

Oct 1, 2007

In my school if the continue to not do work they get a lunch/recess detention, if that doesn't help, we call home, than after school detention. I would call the parents first and see what they say.

4. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Oct 1, 2007

We have a boy like that in our 3rd grade classroom, and I, too, am at the end of my rope! He has been sent to ISS, had notes sent home, phone calls home, bribes, after school detention, recess detention, lines, you name it! He would rather disrupt the class than do his work, and he has even told the Assistant Principal in charge of discipline that he was not going to do any work! I will be anxiously watching this thread to try to get more ideas!

5. Cthdenver

Cthdenver Rookie

Oct 1, 2007

Most of my parents are supportive that their child should be working - however some parents tell me you have to keep an eye on my child - well in a class of 31 thats kind of hard (although I try). And if I see the kid is just not doing his work I try to give him another copy of the assignments that he is missing and then its up to them. I guess when they have an F on the report card that will motivate the parents and the child to make more of an effort. And if not so then I am not going to change this child.

6. jmpteaches

jmpteaches Rookie

Oct 1, 2007

Any idea why they are not doing the work?
    I have one that just moved to my district and is very resistant to do anything, especially if it involves reading. A lot of the work I do get has been quickly done without any thought. He is a very low-level reader. He actually told me, "I just have a hard time reading this stuff." My heart went out to him and I knew I needed to do something else. Just recently I found that if I sit with him (which I obviously can't do all the time, but when other kids were reading to themselves and working, I tried it) and he reads aloud to me and gets help sounding out the words he doesn't know, he will put forth an enormous amount of effort. I'm hoping I can build some confidence in him by sitting with him, giving him attention, and letting him be successful more often.