Kids that need extra attention

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by Lovetoteach15, Sep 15, 2013.

1. Lovetoteach15

Lovetoteach15 Rookie

Sep 15, 2013

I have a very sweet, cute and smart student in my class this year who is also clingy. He is super affectionate, loves to hug me (and often) and always wants to be by my side to complete his work even though he is perfectly capable of working independently. I am looking for ways to make him more independent as I haven't had a male student prior to this year who has been this attached to me. I have gotten the suggestion to have another adult work with him and give him positive attention, however, he does not respond to and/or interact with any other adults the way he does with me. Any suggestions would be greatly welcomed! Thank you in advance.

3. gr3teacher

gr3teacher Phenom

Sep 15, 2013

Is his previous teacher in the building? You could ask him/her what he/she did. You could also try moving his desk to be closer to where you are normally located. Being physically closer to you may make him more comfortable without needing to be physically next to you. I had a student like this for summer school. She needed to be physically close to me. During independent work, I started just bringing groups up to my table... if there was room for her she could sit there, if not, she had to stay at her seat... and since all the chairs were occupied, it wasn't me "being mean" to her.

4. Lovetoteach15

Lovetoteach15 Rookie

Oct 27, 2013

Thank you for the suggestion! I talked to his previous teacher and found out that she didn't have this issue with the student last year!

I tried rewarding him for each time he completed his work without coming up to me, but so far this has not been successful!

When I read or work with him one-on-one, he is constantly reaching to hold my hand. The other day he tried to push another student to get to my hand on the way to the bus, which of course I talked to him about.

I am thinking possibly he does not get enough attention at home, because most days as we are getting ready to go home he asks if he can stay with me or says he'd rather stay with me than go home.

I am wondering if this is something I should bring up with mom? I see her on a fairly regular basis and have been wondering if this is an issue to bring up.

5. EdEd

EdEd Aficionado

Oct 27, 2013

I would bring it up with the mom for sure, unless for some reason you don't think it would be beneficial. There are a couple of general approaches:

- Try to figure out where the deficit is coming from related to social interaction, and attempt to "fix the leak." Could be anything from a divorce to uneasiness with increasing difficulty of academic load, so some leaks may be easier to plug than others, and may require outside referrals.

- Start with smaller expectations of independence and increase slowly based on success rate. So, you may try reinforcing 30 seconds of independent work, then 45, then 60, and so on. Let the pace of the increase be dictated by his success. If he does well with 4 minutes but struggles with 6 at the next step, go back to 4 temporarily and consider why he failed at 6 minutes.

By the way this is based on a fairly young child...

6. Blue

Blue Aficionado

Oct 27, 2013

Is there an issue at home?