Kids & Smartboards

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by PinkLily, Aug 14, 2009.

1. PinkLily

PinkLily Companion

Aug 14, 2009

Last year I got a Smartboard in my class and I absolutely love it! The kids love it too, but they often have trouble moving objects on the board. I think it's because some kids push too hard, while others push too lightly. It could also be because their hands are sweaty or sticky, which makes it harder to slide their finger across the board. Does anybody else have this problem? How can I make it easier for my students to move things on the Smartboard?

3. Erin Elizabeth

Erin Elizabeth Groupie

Aug 14, 2009

Have them wear a special cotton glove? I don't know if that would work, I've never used a smartboard.

4. iheart5thgrade

iheart5thgrade Comrade

Aug 14, 2009

Do you orient your Smartboard frequently? I find that my Smartboard gets "off track " alot and I have to re-orient it so that it will work better.

5. PinkLily

PinkLily Companion

Aug 14, 2009

I'm pretty sure that the orientation isn't the problem because I re-orient my board often enough and I never have trouble sliding things around myself.

I love the idea of a cotton glove. It's so simple, but it just might work!

Any other suggestions?

6. glitterfish

glitterfish Comrade

Aug 14, 2009

I totally had that problem with my kids. Hmmm... I even had trouble in the beginning. Maybe they just need lots of practice? The glove idea sounds good, but I wonder if the smarboard would be able to "sense" the hand through the glove.

7. mdee

mdee Rookie

Aug 14, 2009

I've heard that having them use the back of their finger nail works really well. This is what I'm going to try. I just got a Smart Board, but I haven't turned it on yet. I can't get into my classroom.

8. Musicalgator

Musicalgator Companion

Aug 14, 2009

At my smartboard training our trainer recommended the kids hold a ball when they try to move and write things on the smartboard...I think she said a tennis ball....they have trouble due to the pressure and surface area of the hands (I've never tried it out that's just what they said at training.

9. 5thgraderocks

5thgraderocks Companion

Aug 14, 2009

Our trainer suggested we make pointers from dowel and mini erasers. The Scholastic finger pointers also work well on Smart Board.

10. kidsr#1

kidsr#1 Companion

Aug 15, 2009

fingerprints...

I remind my kids to use their "fingerprint" to move objects, which allows them to use the ball of their finger not the tip. You could have students put on a stretchy glove (cheap ones they sell at Wal-Mart for 2 for $1). The glove works good especially if kids "squeak" as they drag objects.

11. gottagoodgig

gottagoodgig Companion

Aug 16, 2009

Tennis Balls work great. Also, I found a pointer at the teacher supply store that had a small foam pencil on top. That works great too! (They also had pointers with foam stars, apples, and fish.)

12. lcluigs03

lcluigs03 Cohort

Aug 16, 2009

we use a tennis ball. but this year since we are doing a pirate theme in 3rd grade i'm going to get a plastic hook and cover it with grey felt for them to use. anything that has felt on it would be good for the smartboard.

i tell them if they have "sticky fingers" they need to use the tennis ball. then i throw the ball to them. they love that the teacher is throwing things in the room. too funny.