Kids shouting out

Discussion in 'General Education' started by VANewbie, Sep 11, 2011.

1. VANewbie

VANewbie Devotee

Sep 11, 2011

Any tips?

I have two students(for now) who constantly shout out instead of raising their hands. Normally I do not have a problem with this but this year I have two boys who try so hard not to shout out.

I ignore them, sometimes cover my mouth to give a sign, I put my hand up to stop them, I continue on with my lesson.

What else can I do?

3. Joy

Joy Cohort

Sep 11, 2011

I usually give reminders to those student and say "I call on students who raise their hands." I pretend that I did not even hear what they said if they didn't raise their hands.

4. twingles97

twingles97 New Member

Sep 11, 2011

I actually tell them that they are on a 3 min time out and to write down their question. In 3 minutes I will wait for them to raise their hand to try again. This has worked for me on most students who shout out.

5. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Sep 11, 2011

When I taught 2nd grade, I used to have the kids raise one hand in the air; however, they put their pointer finger on their other hand over their lips (sort of like when you're saying "shhhhh" to someone). This helped them remember not to shout out.

I would also model this when I'd ask a question. I'd say, "Can I have a quiet hand tell me ______?" Then, I'd raise my hand in the air and put my finger over my lips to remind them to do the same.

6. VANewbie

VANewbie Devotee

Sep 11, 2011

I guess I need to train these two boys well. Its only been a week of school so hopefully I can nip it early.

7. chebrutta

chebrutta Enthusiast

Sep 11, 2011

When someone shouts out, I usually say, "I can't hear you if I don't see your hand in the air!"

8. jlj

jlj Devotee

Sep 11, 2011

Great idea youngteacherguy!!

9. jwteacher

jwteacher Cohort

Sep 11, 2011

I give genuine praise to students who raise their hand and ignore those who speak out loud. I had one student at the beginning of the year who blurted out all the time, but by week three, he turned into the Boy Scout of hand raising.

Whatever you do, stick to your guns and be consistent! :)

10. soleil00

soleil00 Comrade

Sep 11, 2011

My kids know the word "blurting" from me! I told them the very first day that I don't hear them when they blurt.. I still have a few that blurt but I immediately go "Oh I can't hear you...." and call on someone that has their hand in the air.

They immediately close their mouths and raise their hands too, hoping I'll let them answer. It's not 100% effective right now, but I think later on they will clue in that I'm not going to listen to them.

11. kimrandy1

kimrandy1 Enthusiast

Sep 11, 2011

I teach PreK. Right now, I have a class of 20 kids, all who shout out everything that crosses their mind at any given moment, on topic, not on topic, while someone else is talking, etc, etc, etc....so I feel your pain.

Lots of modeling , lots of reminders, calling on those who are doing the right thing only, etc.

12. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Sep 11, 2011

Keep track of the interruptions, and graph them. Show them visually how many times this is happening. I started a thread called "something bothering you" with lots of tips a while back, but I'm on my phone and can't easily find it.