Kids say the Funniest Things!

Discussion in 'Special Education' started by teacher12345, Sep 5, 2010.

1. teacher12345

teacher12345 Cohort

Sep 5, 2010

I know that everyone probably has stories about funny things taht there students have said/done, and here is a place for everyone to share their stories. On a day that you are having a really bad day, you cran look back and read these stories and they will make you laugh and smile :)

3. ZoomZoomZOOM

ZoomZoomZOOM Devotee

Sep 6, 2010

Hmm... I've been sittin' here trying to think of something for the past five minutes and I can't remember anything in particular. And I know I've cracked up in class more than a few times... Maybe it'll come to me. :)

4. mom2mikey

mom2mikey Cohort

Sep 6, 2010

We have one student who makes us laugh almost every day! This past week we were playing the Webber Functional Communicaiton Game concentrating on the hygeine topic. We were trying to get a student to give the answere "shave" and it became evident very early in the process that this may be a word he was never exposed to. Because he is a mommy's boy I thought I would try one last time by asking him a question about his mother rather than his father so I said "When the hair on your mommy's legs gets really long, what does she do?" To which the student got all excited because he thought he was finally going to give us the answer we were looking for and he yelled "She BRUSHES it!"

5. anewstart101

anewstart101 Cohort

Sep 6, 2010

My friend the other special day class teacher -- was taking over my class because my dad was in the hospital. She explained this to her class

one 5th grade student diagnosed with autism

blurted out "May your dad rest in peace."

needless to say our jaws dropped open ----

needless to say my dad is still alive and kicking

6. anewstart101

anewstart101 Cohort

Sep 6, 2010

I was new to the school another one of her students motioned to my belly and said hi baby---- then looked at me and said you must have a baby in there

well I walked away --- not telling him I just need to lose weight

7. teacher12345

teacher12345 Cohort

Sep 6, 2010

LOL Mom2mikey and anewstart!

8. teachersk

teachersk Connoisseur

Sep 6, 2010

If you think about seeing the world through the kids' eyes... it makes sense. They walk into the classroom in the morning, and I am sitting at my desk. They leave in the afternoon, and I am wiping the tables, writing on the board, etc. For all they know, I could live there!

Today one of my boys said, "Mrs. Teachersk? Do you have a home? This is your home, right? Where do you sleep?" I thought that was pretty cute. It probably seems like I live there.

Haha. Contrary to popular belief, I do not live at middle school.

9. teacher12345

teacher12345 Cohort

Sep 6, 2010

LOL!

10. teachersk

teachersk Connoisseur

Sep 6, 2010

Kids with autism have a hard time understanding idioms. We had a great example of this in class one day. One of my students, who typically takes a while to get going in the morning, was answering every question correctly and raising his hand for every answer. I was so impressed with him! I turned to my assistant and I said, "Man, he's on fire today!" My one student immediately put his hands to his cheeks (in sheer terror) and said, "Oh no!" Haha. I explained that when someone is doing a good job, getting all of their work done, or answering lots of questions you can say they are "on fire." He listened patiently, but kept glancing over at the other boy to be sure he was okay.

11. teacher12345

teacher12345 Cohort

Sep 6, 2010

LOL teachersk that is so funny! Do you think he went home that day and told his parents that his friend was on fire today?

12. teachersk

teachersk Connoisseur

Sep 6, 2010

I'm sure! ;)

13. mom2mikey

mom2mikey Cohort

Sep 6, 2010

teachersk - you need to link to your blog post about "putting the numbers in a table" for this thread ;).

14. mom2mikey

mom2mikey Cohort

Sep 6, 2010

Another one from last year... one of my students was asking me what I had for lunch. Because of visionn and feeding issues he has limited exposure to a variety of foods. That day he was asking me what I had for lunch. I told him I had a sandwich, some carrots, dip and a pear.

He sat there for a couple of seconds as if he were waiting for me to finish... and then he sighed and said... "Miss mom2mikey.... a pair of what?"

15. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Sep 6, 2010

Two years ago, one of my students who had autism, was trying to zip up my jacket as I was talking to my assistant. He couldn't get it zipped up and said, "Are you too fat? Say yes!". It was so embarrassing (and true) but so funny:lol:. I couldn't lie to him and replied, "yes".

16. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Sep 6, 2010

On Friday, I was sitting on a chair and my little guy came up to me and started walking around my chair. He then said, "Ummm, ummmm, ummmm (he has a stutter), you, you, you, you need to pull your pants up.":blush: I guess that I had a little butt crack showing that he didn't appreciate. I really need to invest in some granny panties.

17. Zelda~*

Zelda~* Devotee

Sep 6, 2010

Most of mine come from last year, hehe.

1.) A little boy running into my classroom in a panic and says in this dramatic little serious voice. "Miss Zelda! You're my last hope!" Turns out he peed his pants during recess and either couldn't find the nurse or his general ed teacher or he didn't want them to know. So he came to me needing new clothes.

2.) My constant talker would say things periodically to crack us up. He was a funny boy and he knew it. He'd have little comments all the time. My favorite was "Feel the ready! Feeeeeel it!"

3.) Yet another boy who was extremely difficult starting out, eventually became quite attached to us all. He'd frequently run up and hug us and tell me how much he liked being in my class etc. Well one day while lining up he said, "Miss Zelda, I hope that some day you get to go to Hollywood and become famous and rich." :lol: We all about died, he was totally in earnest bless his little heart.

From this year--

I have one boy who manages to do #2 every. day. Thankfully he uses the restroom. But, he spends forever in there. Last time this happened another one of my boys was washing his hands and said quietly, "Danny's pooping <i>again.</i>" with the same sort of *sigh* we were all feeling.

18. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Sep 6, 2010

I have a student who started 2 weeks ago and he does love school. Every morning he says, "Hi, I came back!"

19. laf10

laf10 Rookie

Sep 6, 2010

My dad works at a post office, and since we were studying community people and places last week, I had him come talk to the kids about being a "mailman." I introduced him as "my dad, Mr. _____." One of my students with Down Syndrome waved big and said "Hi Daddy!" He was "Daddy" the whole time. :) This student also calls policemen "Daddy" and he's very affectionate, which can be uncomfortable for our school resource officer. haha!

20. teachersk

teachersk Connoisseur

Sep 6, 2010

For you- M2M-

So, we were in the middle of APA (Alternate Portfolio Assessment). For those of you who don't know, this is the "testing" that is mandated by the state. It's basically a huge waste of time. I think it's admirable that they want to hold teachers accountable for what they teach, but less than admirable to make students with significant cognitive disabilities achieve "grade level standards." I am ALL about exposure, don't get me wrong. However, the amount of time that is required to prepare these activities, as well as the amount of time getting the kids to "memorize" the information is ridiculous. I say "memorize" because in order to "learn" something, you have to acquire the pre-requisite skills. For example, in order to know the factorial of a number, you must know your numbers, as in: identify two when I say, "two." So, as I teach my kids what a factorial is, they are not actually learning the skill, they are memorizing the task (when my teacher hands me the cards, I must put them in this order). I am okay with that, though, because I recognize that this is clearly above their ability level and the furthest away from being a functional skill for them. We have to make a first round of activities that show the kids are "not proficient" and then make more activities by April to show that they've met the proficiency level expected. Yes, the teacher has to create each and every one of the eight activities per student (in my case, 40 activities X 2 entries). Tons of work.

This assessment was on "collecting data from a survey and creating a frequency table." Don't worry, if you just had to go google what a frequency table is, I also had to look it up as I was creating the tasks for the kids.

First, they had to ask their friends what their favorite season was. Then, they had to put tally marks next to the season as their friends responded. One kid wrote the seasons in the boxes in the data chart. The other kid made tally marks, but they weren't to the corresponding seasons. Almost!

We are just supposed to let the kids respond without assistance, and mark their score at the end. I kept telling them they were doing a good job, because this was so above their heads.

The next step was to put the "data" that they collected into the frequency table. I read the directions, "Put your numbers into a frequency table." This means they had to write the seasons and put a number as to how many people chose that season as their favorite.

This is what one of my kids did:

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_hNNTpA7jSNY/SteipmlS0oI/AAAAAAAAAjE/N61Aw9tsSG8/s1600-h/photo-1.jpg

I'd say that's an "A" for effort. He made a table. Bless his heart. Take that, State of New Jersey! This is higher level thinking at it's best. The data is "in" the "table."

Nice work, bud.

21. Zelda~*

Zelda~* Devotee

Sep 6, 2010

Aww! Table!! <3

22. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Sep 6, 2010

Teachersk, I laughed so hard when I clicked on the link to the picture that I scared the cats, the kids, and had tears rolling down my face. I don't know if you know this, by my master's is in Mathematics, with a concentration in Statistics and Probability Theory. I may have enjoyed that more than most. I immediately sent it to a friend of mine who's Ph.D is in stats. I wish I had the link to your blog.

23. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Sep 6, 2010

This is not a classroom story, but a recent story with my own child.

William was a micro-preemie, and has some mild neurological issues. Well, one of the problems we have right now is that he's a runner. Last Friday, I got home from work to a hysterical babysitter. She'd just run in to go to the bathroom and William was gone. After two hours, one of his brothers finally found him in a field about a mile away.

So, we talk. We talk about how important it is to stay near the grownups, and how scared we get when we couldn't find him. William, who's home, safe and sound, and doesn't really "get" that he's caused all this havoc, says to me:

"But MOM, I was just following the jackrabbits...and they kept running away!".

*sigh* You should have seen him when he said that. It was everything I could do to keep from laughing.

24. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Sep 6, 2010

I LIKE that frequency table!

25. Zelda~*

Zelda~* Devotee

Sep 15, 2010

Today a little boy told me he was "leaking" on both sides of his head.

He was all sweaty from playing on the playground. :lol:

26. bethechange

bethechange Comrade

Sep 15, 2010

Too funny Zelda! I can totally see my kids saying that.

One of my first graders' latest tricks is telling me I'm beautiful every time he is in trouble about something. I fell for it the first time, but now I am wise........

27. teacher12345

teacher12345 Cohort

Sep 15, 2010

LOL!!!! So cute!!!!

28. terptoteacher

terptoteacher Connoisseur

Sep 15, 2010

Today, one little boy was explaining what he witnessed in the boys' bathroom. He said that "Johnny" was standing on top of the stall (or something) and peeing down into the urinal.
    Johnny denied it....of course....
    Then the little boy said he saw Johnny climb over the stalls from one toilet to the other...

Johnny said, "Now THAT one isn't true!"

29. misteacher

misteacher Companion

Sep 16, 2010

My friend just moved down from second grade to Kinder. She has had the funniest stories every day. My favorite one is the kid who was being naughty all day so she said she was going to talk to his parent at pick up time. He asked her if she could just tell his:lol: mom that he was good and that he would be good tomorrow. She asked him if he thought he had good behavior that day. He thought it over and asked "Well, couldn't you just sugarcoat it?" Too cute!

Last edited: Sep 16, 2010
  30. spedteacherCA

spedteacherCA Rookie

Sep 18, 2010

These are great!! I've gotten quite a collection of fun stories from teaching MD students the last 3 years:

*We were doing a lesson on women in history, and one of the discussion questions was if you could go back in time and talk to one of these women, what would you want to ask them? When I asked one student he said "The pretty one." Then I reminded him of the brave things these women had done and then he picked one. I said if you could ask her a question about her life what would you ask her. He thought for a sec and then said "To MARRY me!!!"

*One student had very limited tongue mobility, so speech was difficult for him. He had his own Dynavox and was very good at using it and making new buttons for himself, but he pretty much refused to use it because he would much rather speak and play a game of charades until you figure out what he is saying. So one day my class came from PE and this student was adamantly trying to tell something to one of my paras and we could not figure out what it was. He tried to gesture while repeating the word, he would NOT rest until he got his message across. I asked him to spell it for us, so on the chalkboard he wrote "JEEYOX." Well that didn't help, we were still guessing: "Jeep? Jesus?" (he was a big church-goer) And then finally my para said "...Genius?" He goes "YEAH!!! [pointing to his head] IM A JEEYOX!" Couldn't help but giggle but it was a great teachable moment ("if you're a genius, you have to know how to spell it first!")

*At the beginning of last school year, one student's parents came to enroll her and I was in the office with the 3 of them. The mom asked the girl something in Spanish, the girl had a hesitant look on her face, looked at her dad and then shook her head no. The mom laughed and told me she had asked her if she was excited about seeing W again (a boy in my class). W was her "boyfriend," but since her dad was in the room, she didn't want him to know she was excited. I always think that's cool, seeing how our MD kids are just like "typical" teenagers

*W (the boyfriend) rode a different bus than his girlfriend (N) and her bus always came to school later. So every morning he would ask us "Is N coming? Is N coming?" And we kept telling him we wouldn't know until the bus got here. One boy (J) rode the same bus as N, so he got in the habit of announcing whether or not N was on the bus as soon as he walked in the class (N was in a wheelchair and had an aide getting her off the bus, so it took her a little longer of course). So one day when W was asking "Mrs A? Mrs A? Is N coming? Is N coming?" I reminded him I don't know and said "Don't ask me, you'll have to ask J when he gets here." So the next day when W got to school he starting pushing his wheelchair to my desk and in his little onery voice saying "Mrs A? Oh, Mrs AAAA???" I say "Yes, W?" And he pauses for a sec and goes ".....HEYYYY! Mrs A! Don't ask ME! Ask J!!!"

31. TeacherShelly

TeacherShelly Aficionado

Sep 18, 2010

These are so funny! Frequency table, perfectly literal.

I had the 2nd graders last year (I teach 1/2 2nd and 1/2 3rd graders) to write a letter to next year's 2nd graders because they might be nervous and unsure what to expect. The first one I read said, "Dear 2nd Graders, Do not poke the teacher. Do not repeat Shelly's name." I laughed because I really bristle at being poked and repeatedly called, but never thought they'd codify it into advice.

32. pinkrobots27

pinkrobots27 Rookie

Sep 22, 2010

My students are very funny and keep me going! I try not to laugh but we have had a few times that I just couldn't keep it in.

One of my students is sharp but has trouble processing what is said to him and often gets off task. We were doing a math problem and he just looked up and said to me, "Reese's Puffs." I don't know but we all just laughed including the student.

I had a chaotic Morning Meeting a few weeks ago, trying to go over the Calendar Math with 15 kids sitting on the blue rug. One of my students passed gas VERY loudly and all other 14 kids jumped about ten feet in the air. I know it is immature of me but even now when I think about it, I laugh! Kids are hilarious.