Kids picking their own homework?

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by iheart5thgrade, Oct 30, 2007.

1. iheart5thgrade

iheart5thgrade Comrade

Oct 30, 2007

I've heard a lot about teachers letting students "pick" their own homework assignments. I can see where that makes students more independent and feel like they have more of say in their homework. Do you do this in your class? How exactly does it work for you?

3. Miss Kirby

Miss Kirby Fanatic

Oct 30, 2007

We have a Spelling Tic Tac Toe where they chose 3 spelling assignments. The only hard part is I cannot know if they are really doing some of it because there are things on there like write your words with sidewalk chalk, paint your words with water on the sidewalk, etc.

4. heymrsp

heymrsp Rookie

Oct 30, 2007

i also do a version of spelling tic tac toe, only I call it spelling choice - the grid is set up with 9 different options each week and each night i have students choose whichever one they want to do. I have had a great response to this - homework is coming in over 90% of the time (i just figured it out because of report cards being due this week) and parents have been on board - i get lots of great notes from them about how much they enjoy doing the assignments with their child. I only use it for spelling, as i only teach ELA. But it has been a positive experience for me already this year, and it takes alot of stress off of me in planning/copying/grading.

5. MissFroggy

MissFroggy Aficionado

Oct 30, 2007

I was going to do tic-tac-toe for computer homework (computer, typing skills, etc.)

I had the activities spread out on the grid so any which way they went, across, down, diagonal, in any direction, at least one had a print out component (a poem from read, write, think, a certificate of completion, a page to color, etc.) So spread out the the sensory ones with the others, like put one in a corner, and the other in the opposite side in the square just above the corner. There is no way they could do both.

6. Miss Starr

Miss Starr Companion

Oct 30, 2007

I do a spelling choice too. I sometimes have to suggest to kids which activities might be best for them since some are more creative (ie. writing sentences or illustrating) but some are more repetitive (ie. rainbow words, growing triangles) so for my weaker spellers they might need more repetition so they need to choose the repeating activities.

I also do choices for end of book projects. I usually like to try to tie into the different learning styles. So the options might be: write a book report, create a skit and act it out, make a model, make a comic book of the scenes, etc.

They seem to like choices and in fourth grade they are still learning about themselves as learners so they tend to try all different things.

7. iheart5thgrade

iheart5thgrade Comrade

Oct 31, 2007

Thanks for all the responses. Does anyone have any tips on how to do this in math class? Math is the only thing I teach....thanks!

8. Deeena

Deeena Cohort

Oct 31, 2007

iheart5thgrade,

You could give your students a list of activities they can choose from for math homework. Choices could include:

- make a poster showing the steps to solve the type of math problems you're working on
    - Create a power point slide about how to solve the math.
    - Create a game
    - Make up their own worksheet and provide the answers
    - Write a poem or song about the math content

That's all I have for now. Hope it helps.

9. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Oct 31, 2007

My students have a spelling choice assignment on Thursday evenings. Some choose to draw a comic with the spelling words. THEY ARE PHENOMENAL. Some make a crossword or word search. Some write lists in print and cursive. Others choose spelling word math. They let students focus on their strengths. I like to see the artists come out in their illustrations.