Kids participating in multiple activities?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by dgpiaffeteach, Jul 30, 2014.

1. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Jul 30, 2014

The other thread got me wondering but I don't want to hi-jack it.

Do your kids participate in multiple activities? We're a small school so our kids participate in a wide variety of activities or else we just wouldn't be able to hold them. One of our leads in the musical this past year was also a three-sport athlete. Our coaches and advisors need to have flexibility because of it. I had a student once who was on the football team and in the band. I thought it was really cool.

It also means our kids get stretched pretty thin. Our spring sports don't seem to be as popular partially because the kids say they just want some time off. I feel we need to work on balancing it a bit, but overall I love that they can do more than one activity.

3. readingrules12

readingrules12 Aficionado

Jul 30, 2014

Yes, many of ours do. I teach 5th grade so it is often the first time they can play a sport and an instrument. Many choose to be in band and sports at the same time. I do wish we could offer more clubs...we are working on it.

4. vickilyn

vickilyn Multitudinous

Jul 30, 2014

I agree. Sometimes in HS the coaches/advisors don't like to share well, making some students very uncomfortable. Maybe the kid doesn't want to get a football scholarship to college, and he just wants to be part of more than one "team". Why does that have to be all or nothing? I'm a big believer in well rounded kids.

5. 3Sons

3Sons Enthusiast

Jul 30, 2014

I think up to at least the high school level most kids should be involved in multiple activities.

My wife and I have always tried to ensure they have always had outside academic and artistic activities; they've all done at least a little athletics, and I'm thinking of getting them into something civic.

Without overburdening them....:( It's not easy.

6. Peregrin5

Peregrin5 Maven

Jul 30, 2014

We have a handful of students who do like 5 things: drama, student council, sports, etc. And then all the rest do nothing.

7. waterfall

waterfall Virtuoso

Jul 30, 2014

We don't have activities in elementary, so I can only speak to my high school experience. Most students either did more than one activity or weren't involved in anything, if that makes sense. I think it was very rare for someone to just be really dedicated in one activity- you were either really involved with multiple activities, or you didn't participate at all. Some activities would be impossible to overlap. Band, art, and choir were easy to fit in with anything else, because those classes were held during the school day. However, it would be impossible to play more than one sport per season, or be involved in something like drama and sports during the same season, since both had practice every day after school. I was in drama in middle school but decided to do swimming in high school instead- due to the heavy requirements for both, it would have been impossible for me to participate in both. I also did band and student government, as well as some random little clubs that didn't take up much time. I did have to quit band senior year because it just didn't fit in with my AP class schedule. The same thing happened to my best friend. We tried to talk the director into giving us the music and letting us practice during study hall (the choir director let kids do that) but he was totally not flexible and wouldn't let us do it.

8. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Jul 30, 2014

Waterfall, that's a bummer about band :( we had a senior this year who practiced during lunch since it didn't fit his schedule.

This past year was the first year we allowed kids to play multiple sports. The sole reason was really soccer. It allowed kids to play soccer and be a kicker on the football team.

9. 2ndTimeAround

2ndTimeAround Phenom

Jul 31, 2014

I've found that coaches share very well when athletes are on two different teams - like the crossover between Fall/Winter/Spring sports.

They do NOT share well at all when it is a crossover between academic/art/athletics. A kid can get a pass for missing a baseball practice because something is still going on with basketball. But he won't get a pass for attending a play rehearsal instead of baseball practice.

10. Elocin

Elocin Comrade

Jul 31, 2014

My prior school didn't have sports but a lot of kids were in community leagues or they were allowed to play on their home district's team. We had one kid who played baseball, soccer, and was the lead in the school play all at the same time. Most of the other kids play 1 sport per season.
    My daughters just finished swim lessons (4X week) and gymnastics (2X a week). It was the first time we ever did anything like that and....never again! I felt like all I did was taxi around to lessons. For the fall we are back to our 1 extracurricular activity/season rule and my older daughter (9 years old) has a club or two that takes place during the school day.