Kids not wearing masks

Discussion in 'General Education' started by nstructor, Jul 31, 2021.

1. nstructor

nstructor Cohort

Jul 31, 2021

If masks are mandated, which they probably will be, I would love suggestions. Most of our students took off their masks, or wore them wrong. All day long, all of us would say, "Put on your mask!" We tried an incentive plan and a punitive plan, but neither worked! Thanks for your help!

Tired Teacher likes this.
  3. waterfall

waterfall Virtuoso

Jul 31, 2021

I think this is really hard unless your admin is willing to enforce big consequences. Last year in my district, if a student refused to wear their mask, it was a "mask violation." Three mask violations and you were automatically enrolled in the elearning program, no excuses. We had very few mask violations and as far as I know, no individual student got more than 1.

However, ill fitting masks was a huge problem. In some kids they were constantly slipping underneath their noses and I literally said "mask over your nose" on repeat all. day. long. I do know one teacher gave a mask violation for a kid that constantly had the mask under her nose, but there was no consensus if this really "counted" among the staff. If we do go back to masks, I plan to bring this up and ask that we get on the same page as a staff.

nstructor and vickilyn like this.
  4. vickilyn

vickilyn Multitudinous

Jul 31, 2021

I, too, would be seeking clarification so that there is consistency in mask protocols. This is an increased concern in children too young to vaccinate, and covering the nose and mouth is paramount to protecting yourself as well as your students. Maybe even more important, it signifies that the district is truly trying to protect staff and students from a disease that has shown itself to be dangerous in a multitude of ways, and deadly to many who contract the disease. Uniform mask wearing should be tied to meaningful instruction on how to wear the mask, for the health of all concerned. Please accept my hope that you remain healthy and well throughout the school year. :hugs:

5. Tired Teacher

Tired Teacher Connoisseur

Jul 31, 2021

One of my friends had much better luck with getting kids to wear masks than some others. She started out Day 1 teaching the kids about the virus. She showed them video of how sneezes and cough particles fly through the air. She tends to have good relationships w/ 6th graders ( an age I never liked, her unique personality! :) ) Then she told them a lot about her high risk family and her concerns for them. I am guessing she went into great detail! The average kid really took it to heart. I know the kids in her class and they were not even close to saintly, but the vast majority did not give her problems. Even when some parents did not believe in wearing masks, a few of those kids were careful and told their parents about their concerns. Parents were not all happy, but it worked for her. Also, the kids reminded each other.

miss-m likes this.
  6. viola_x_wittrockiana

viola_x_wittrockiana Comrade

Jul 31, 2021

I'm having flashbacks to my mom's classroom reminder (1st grade): "Germs fly through the air with the greatest of ease, so cover your mouth when you cough or you sneeze!" sung to the tune of "Man on Flying Trapeze"

I found that over-the-top humor worked with teens, the boys at least. "Jeez man, are you *trying* to infect everyone?! Pull your mask up." "Wearing a mask with your nose hanging out is like wearing pants with your butt hanging out- it defeats the purpose." "If you wore your mask right, the freshman wouldn't smell so bad."

7. miss-m

miss-m Devotee

Aug 2, 2021

This is such a great strategy. Rewards and punishments may work briefly for some kids, but honest, open conversations, clear explanations, and solid relationships that create mutual respect are so much more effective. ESPECIALLY when it's a topic that's been so heated and divisive, personal connection is the best way to build empathy and understanding so kids want to do the right thing.

Tired Teacher likes this.
  8. Tired Teacher

Tired Teacher Connoisseur

Aug 2, 2021

I think this is key. I remember times when I had a headache or just did not feel well. I did not whine often, so when I was sick, the kids took pity on me. :) I remember being so amazed how quiet and thoughtful some of the rowdiest kids could be knowing I was sick or in pain. I think a lot of kids have more compassion than we know. I am fully aware of the exceptions to the rule though too! :)

miss-m likes this.
  9. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Virtuoso

Aug 3, 2021

Our kids had to be on virtual option if they refused to wear a mask.

nstructor likes this.
  10. MntnHiker

MntnHiker Companion

Aug 4, 2021

I would talk to your admin and see what they'd be willing to do (for instance, last year, students who refused to mask or wear it properly were to be sent to the office, and if after discussing with an admin, they still refused, they were sent home and put on remote instruction). I didn't have any students outright refuse to mask; my biggest issue was the mask-below-the-nose thing. I would do friendly reminders whenever I saw it. If I had a repeat offender who I had to talk to 5+ times, I would let an admin know and usually after they spoke, the issue cleared up.

If the problem was an ill-fitting mask, I had disposable masks with nose wire in my room I would give out (provided by the school). We also had the anti-fog spray in the office for kids who tried to go below the nose due to glasses fogging up.

nstructor likes this.