Kids misbehaved for sub, consequence ?

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by Bella2010, Apr 25, 2013.

1. Bella2010

Bella2010 Habitué

Apr 25, 2013

I was home with my sick kiddo. My sub is a retired teacher, and it sounds like my morning class was horrible. I had told them tomorrow will be a free day after they take their spelling and vocab test since testing is over. They are bringing snacks, handheld games, etc.

I'm thinking about not letting them do that since they were not on the greatest of behaviors? I mean, I think it's pretty bad if a retired teacher says they were awful? She left a note for me telling me about how things went and added, "I'm sure they'll be glad to have you back." Well, gee, thanks. If that doesn't make me feel like an incompetent teacher I don't know what does.

Beth

3. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Apr 25, 2013

Can you have a conversation tomorrow about your expectations when you are gone? I would tell them that I am disappointed in the behavior. I've even read the note to the students. I've had mine write letters of apology.

4. microbe

microbe Comrade

Apr 25, 2013

As a sub, I always appreciate it when a teacher hands out consequences for bad behavior. I see a large difference in behavior when a teacher actually disciplines his or her students for misbehaving if I ever come back to sub. Being disrespectful to a teacher (even a lowly sub) should be unacceptable.

5. Bella2010

Bella2010 Habitué

Apr 25, 2013

They've had her a couple of times before and things went well. She said she had to change the way my desks were arranged because they were talking too much.

6. EdEd

EdEd Aficionado

Apr 25, 2013

Do you have a sense of what they did or how things were handled? I'm not a fan of uniformly giving consequences for poor sub behavior without knowing more. Some subs just don't do a very good job - minor incidents might have escalated and situations gotten out of control because the sub didn't handle it right. Or, could have been relatively minor behavior but the sub just wasn't in a good mood. I'm definitely not saying it's not your kids, but I might try to find out more before automatically reacting.

On a side note, I'm not a fan of taking away rewards previously earned. Adding new consequences could be fine, but if they previously earned something, it should probably remain theirs.

Also, if you have the choice, I probably wouldn't call the same sub again :).

7. queenie

queenie Groupie

Apr 25, 2013

Completely agree with EdEd here on all points!

What about the kids who weren't talking? I feel like the sub should have mentioned names, specifically. Which kids did she have to move? It's rare that every single kid in the class is awful, and if that's the case, it's likely the teacher's inability to manage the class that's partly to blame.

By the way, I didn't take her note as a put down. I thought she meant that you are obviously better at maintaining control of the class. I think she is the one who feels unable to handle them.

At the same time, the kids need to know that you take misbehaviors in your absence very seriously. Could you put off the original reward another day? Have a serious conversation about what happened and why? Figure out the main culprits in the mean time and give them consequences?

8. Bella2010

Bella2010 Habitué

Apr 25, 2013

Beth

9. iteachbx

iteachbx Enthusiast

Apr 25, 2013

I don't like to give out full class consequences. I also have a hard time giving consequences about things that happen when I'm not in the room. I don't know how they were handled, what happened, what the sub said, too many variables. If the sub was returning I would ask him/her to provide me with a list of difficult students that way I could speak with the students and possibly their parents if need be. I don't think it would be fair to punish ALL the kids when I don't even know which ones were misbehaving. My idea of the kids being "awful" could be much different than someone else's. To some people awful means lots of chatting to someone else it means kids bouncing off the walls.

10. EdEd

EdEd Aficionado

Apr 25, 2013

What?! We're in agreement?! :)

11. EdEd

EdEd Aficionado

Apr 25, 2013

Bella2010 I think that's a great idea about earning something back when the sub is back. Particularly because you know that exact same sub will be returning, I think it becomes more important to address the issue as opposed to just letting it go.

Another option would just be to give a "punishment in abeyance," which is just fancy talk for "double or nothing." Since you don't know what happened, maybe have a class meeting and figure out what you can, then say - "well, we've had a discussion and here are the things that need to change. I'll be asking the sub next week specifically about these items, and if they're improve then we'll consider the problem solved."

12. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Aficionado

Apr 25, 2013

I struggle with appropriate consequences when there is a general note left. I know that not all my kids were trouble makers, and can probably guess who caused the greatest disturbance. But if the sub is vague, there's not a lot I can work with. If there are specifics then I can definitely follow up. There was a day this year, though, where every teacher in the building came to talk to me the next day to tell me how out of control my class was with a sub the day before. Everyone in the class made a card for the sub with me the next day. I told them that even if they were behaving, she would still appreciate a card from them.

13. queenie

queenie Groupie

Apr 26, 2013

Ikr?! I think I hear angels singing... :rolleyes:

14. Mathemagician

Mathemagician Groupie

Apr 26, 2013

GENERALLY I make them eat one piece of spoiled meat each. It usually does the trick.

15. Maryhf

Maryhf Connoisseur

Apr 27, 2013

If the sub said they couldn't finish the math work (for example) because she was dealing with discipline issues, I would make them finish it before they could get their reward. That may give you the chance to look at individual accomplishments - who finished and who didn't? -and you'll know who was horsing around.

16. Bella2010

Bella2010 Habitué

Apr 27, 2013

Hi All,

I went ahead and let the kids have their free day. I lectured them about it and had them write down what went wrong. They all said some people were talking, and of course 5th graders throw out names pretty easily, and the names they threw out were ones I already thought I might see, lol.

I'm not dismissing the idea that my kids wouldn't be quiet. I'm not. When I talked to them about it, I didn't minimize their behavior or the sub's consequences. I just think maybe she was having a bad day? She made one of my borderline ED kids cry over his handwriting, so I just think she was having an off day. She didn't like the way I had my chairs arranged, maybe that did it, lol. Anyway, she'll be coming back for my class next week. I told them I expected better of them and knew they were capable of it. We'll see.

Beth

17. toiatoi

toiatoi Rookie

Apr 27, 2013

I have no advice but this literally made me LOL :lol: