Kids just above Edmark level who are unsuccessful with ohonics

Discussion in 'Special Education' started by WaterfallLady, Sep 11, 2010.

1. WaterfallLady

WaterfallLady Enthusiast

Sep 11, 2010

Kids just above Edmark level who are unsuccessful with phonics

What do you do with kids who have been unsuccessful with phonics for years but are a little too high for Edmark?

Their language skills run from preschool to second grade, they are all verbal though one has echolalia, he will occasionally use his own words and they are all around the second to low third grade reading levels. Disabilities run the gamut from mild intellectual disability to Tbi to autism, but there are no simple LD kids. They are all in speech therapy for their low language skills. They are 12-19 years in age.

3. WaterfallLady

WaterfallLady Enthusiast

Sep 11, 2010

Please help me. I am so lost and the kids really need my help. I'll take reading or article suggestions activity suggestions anything!

If I read them a one page 2nd grade story and clarify and summarize it with them, by the time we get to the end they can't even tell me what the story was about.

4. ZoomZoomZOOM

ZoomZoomZOOM Devotee

Sep 11, 2010

Shoot, WFL, I hunted all over the internet for the program I'm using with my high group. I thought it was called "Practical Words" but that must not be it, because I can't find it anywhere.

I've split my 6 kids up into three different levels: pre-school, K, and 1st. I have a gal that's at the 2nd grade reading level and she struggles with comprehension (like you mentioned) but I felt like it was wrong to keep her in my life skills class when she's able to go outside my room for english/reading. So she goes to the departmentalized english class for that. My 1st grade reader is too high for the Edmark programs I'm using (Edmark Reading for the pre-schooler, and Edmark Functional Words program for my K's) so I use the Practical Word program for her. Basically it's a series of functional words (school, home, community, grocery, etc.) and it's focus is being able to identify the words (from picture flashcards), define the words, and use them in sentences. I make her write her sentences out.

5. teacher12345

teacher12345 Cohort

6. mom2mikey

mom2mikey Cohort

Sep 12, 2010

Oh... the PCI Real World Vocabulary set looks great (of course with my group it would just be a starting point but it has me adding more to my wish list all the same).

7. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Sep 12, 2010

I don't work with that grade level children, but mine are all several years below their grade level, as well. Could you do lots of word study activities to build up phonics and vocab? There are lots of programs out there...Making Words, Making Big Words, Systematic Sequential Phonics(I think that's the title. There are also lots of centers that you can use together in small group...FCRR comes to mind. It is elementary based, but your students read on that level. If you have money, Reading A to Z has lots of leveled books that may be on their interest level.

8. ZoomZoomZOOM

ZoomZoomZOOM Devotee

Sep 12, 2010

No those weren't it, 12345 - - but you got me searching again and I finally found the dang thing. It's not "practical words," it's PICTURE WORDS. Jeesh. lol Here's the link:

Picture Word Vocab

The books are $29.95, but there are large color flashcards that go with the books and cost $49 ea. Flashcards

You could teach the vocab without the flashcards but I wanted them really badly. Now that I spent $150 on them though, I'm not sure that it was completely worth it. Probably just should have stuck to the book. (The "cards" are pictured in the books in black and white and a smaller size.) There are several books to choose from and right now, we are working on the school term set. I've been teaching it every day for two weeks now - and we haven't even gotten past page three!! So if you're interested, WFL, you may just want to pick one book and check it out. You could probably squeeze a whole years worth of vocab/writing out of one book!

9. mom2mikey

mom2mikey Cohort

Sep 12, 2010

Wow Zoom! These look even better than the other ones listed above.

10. ZoomZoomZOOM

ZoomZoomZOOM Devotee

Sep 12, 2010

Yeah, what I like about them is the user-friendly format. You basically keep the book in front of you, and hold the flashcard up. (If you didn't have the flashcards, you'd just show the student the picture in the book.) Then you basically ask the questions listed, read the definition, etc. etc. There's even a check-off data sheet in the front of the book where you can track student progress.

11. mom2mikey

mom2mikey Cohort

Sep 12, 2010

Love it Zoom :). I'm ordering one set with my personal money to just try them out as this is what I've been looking for sometime similar to this for a couple of my students. I had been taking pictures and making my own but this might be worth the money.