Kids fighting when lining up

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by Pisces_Fish, Jun 15, 2008.

1. Pisces_Fish

Pisces_Fish Fanatic

Jun 15, 2008

Sometimes little things can drive us nuts. For me, I hate when kids argue over what order they're in when they line up. Pre-K to high school, it seems like everyone wants to be first and no one wants to be last.

I've subbed in rooms where the kids lined up according to an assigned order. I love this idea but I wonder how teachers do it. Maybe they have them line by assigned student number? But then I'm worried the kid with a "Z" last name will be last all year long. I suppose we could alternate every week - whoever was first in line will be last, and second will be first, etc. etc. etc. I don't want another thing to keep track of though. :unsure:

How do you deal with it?

3. MissFroggy

MissFroggy Aficionado

Jun 15, 2008

I call on the kids and line them up as I call their name. My assistant of the day is the line leader. I do it differently each time, but they know they have to line up in that particular order.

4. sue35

sue35 Habitué

Jun 15, 2008

I just let them figure it out. I feel that if they are in fifth grade they need to learn how deal with things like this. If they push, they go to the end of the line. I don't even answer to kids who tell me that so-and-so budged.

After a while they learned to just line up quietly. If they pushed they didn't even need me to say anything, they just went to the back

5. Scribner

Scribner New Member

Jun 15, 2008

here's what i do

I've been teaching Kindergarten a long time and I would not change it for anything-I post the kids first names in ABC order. This way we learn each other's names and get an introduction to ABC order. They have to line up that way-but everyday there is a new line leader and line end so they are not stuck at the end. The line end person is told they have the special job as the caboose and to make sure everyone is in the right spot-they also get to be the door holder, because then they can just fall into place as the line passes. I just go down the ABC list in order-first you are the line end, then the line leader and the next day you are the special helper ( you are in your regular spot in line.) By the time everyone has run through the jobs once they all have the hang of it. Around Christmas we switch to last names and then in the spring middle names. Everyone learns ro read a lot of names including their own!

Now for older kids-I run a summer day camp program and I agree with previous posters-I call different groups to line up first and we have the talk about how important IS it that the guy in front of you gets through the door a nano second before you and I don't tolerate arguing.

You can also call out things like "everyone in stripes, everyone in sandals," etc.

6. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Jun 16, 2008

My kids line up in alphabetical order by last name, which is also their student number that they write on their papers but I too didn't want the kids with last names at the end of the alphabet to always be last.

Each week the line leader changes. Student number 1 is the line leader the first week, kid number 2 is leader the second week and so on. After being line leader, the kid is at the back of the line and moves up a spot closer to the front each following week. Everyone has the same chance to be first, in the middle of the line, and at the end.

7. zoerba

zoerba Comrade

Jun 16, 2008

I am thinking of having kids line up ABC order this year as well. I have a friend who teachers 5th grade that does this and swears she will never go back. I teach 3rd grade and had a lot of students slyly choosing their own spot in line to be next to their friend. I wonder if choosing different line leaders each week would be confusing though? Would kids forget where their spot is?

8. New3rdTeacher

New3rdTeacher Comrade

Jun 16, 2008

I like the idea of doing first, middle and last names. Everyone has a chance to change. Here is my thing though, and I tell the kids all the time, we are all going to get there at the exact same time. Live with it!!

9. goopp

goopp Devotee

Jun 16, 2008

I line my kids up in number order (which is also ABC order). Every once in a while, after they are in line, I tell everyone to turn around and face the back of the line, making my last person 1st. He then marches around the room, leading the line out the door and down the hall.

10. lemonhead

lemonhead Aficionado

Jun 16, 2008

I like number order (basically abc order0 and then rotating weekly who is first. How do you do this though if you have a boy and girl line? I really like boy and girl lines because lines are shorter and it seems like things run more smoothly. Just not sure how to do it abc since it mixed up. Will they learn it?

11. brandi0718

brandi0718 Comrade

Jun 16, 2008

I did this kind of thing at the end of the school year this past year and it worked really good. I think that is the way I will have them line up this coming up school year.

12. MsX

MsX Companion

Jun 16, 2008

I didn't start the year with a line order but by about a month into school, I realized I needed one. I just created a line order based on behavior... so I put people next to each other that would not talk and would not fight. They know this is the order and it's not abc order so the kid with the last name at the end of the alphabet is not necessarily last.

13. MrsMikesell

MrsMikesell Cohort

Jun 16, 2008

ABC order from day 1 to day 180. They need to be in this order for lunch, so we just do it all the time. It solves so many problems...!

Kelly :)

14. maebowler

maebowler Comrade

Jun 16, 2008

When I sub and the students are arguing about the line order or budging I just remind them that we are all going to the same place and they we will all get there. They don't have an argument about that. I don't hear any complaining the rest of the day or the next time I am there. On a side note, when I was on a cruise to Alaska there was an issue with a line and I let some people go in front of me and my husband and I said to them we are all going to get off the boat. It is not that big of deal :)

15. TeachnRox

TeachnRox Companion

Jun 16, 2008

Lining up 1 2 3

My kids too line up in number order, however, it is a boy/girl pattern due to lunchtime requirements. I have always done this up to third grade. I have a chart that lists the order (names going vertically), with 3 clothes pins, line leader, door holder and sign changer ( I am adding drink counter, next year). This is in addition to my regular job chart, these jobs are not on that chart. Every week everyone moves up one space in line, the line leader goes to the end and is now the sign changer. I move the clips accordingly. This works well. Everyone knows where to go and it isn't a problem.

When lining up I do the "everyone who is wearing blue jeans line up." and I also do 1-2-3, when I say 1 they stand, 2 they push in their chair (this is my soap box...can't tell you how many times I have tripped on those short chairs!), and 3 they walk to their spot. :)

16. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

Jun 16, 2008

I don't usually have assigned line orders unless the need presents itself, then I just tell them all to line up tallest to smallest (or other way around). This year I think I'm going to start off with a line order, such as ABS, and come up with some other possibilities so that they learn to stand near different people in line without problems. Other ideas I have heard of or used in the past was calling up birthdays by month or season, hair colors, etc. It has to be someting factual though or "favorites" will change on a daily basis and peer leaders emerge (not always positive ones either.)

17. Pisces_Fish

Pisces_Fish Fanatic

Jun 16, 2008

I've been know to have talks with the kids about the phrase, "you win some, you lose some." After awhile I can just say that phrase to them and they know exactly what I'm talking about.

I like some of the ideas here, especially about counting "1, 2, 3" when it's time to line up. You could also take it one step further by calling out individual table groups to make it more orderly.

I swear, I never used to be this obsessed about order and procedures before I became a teacher :)

18. TeachnRox

TeachnRox Companion

Jun 16, 2008

I do that a lot, I usually look for the groups that are sitting ready to go, and will call them by their teams and say, 1 (stand up)....2(push in chair).....3(walk to your spot)..... Sometimes I'll even do girls, then boys.

I don' t know how well this would work with your kids, but with mine if they don't follow directions and line up appropriately, I make the whole class sit down, and we try it again. The first 2 weeks of school, I line up 15 minutes b4 it is time to go, so they know how serious I am. Record number of redos have been 3. The rest of the year, I really only have to do this redo thing once in a while, and everyone gets the point.

19. SarahJ

SarahJ Companion

Jun 16, 2008

When I was at school it was always shortest to tallest...so my first day at a new school mid year I get put in the front of the line! I was so scared lol!

I've used numbers, ABC, shortest to tallest, no order but my helper as line leader, boys and girls lines, neatest/quietest table first, random groups etc Just depends on the class!

20. shasha379

shasha379 Devotee

Jun 16, 2008

I use ABC order for 3/4 of the year. Then I might call the table who has the most pts. etc. One thing I do is to have them stand and push in their chairs silently. Once every chair is pushed in, and they are quiet I allow them to line up. It seems that whenever I just said line up they turned into wild animals. I had to fix that really fast. ;)

21. angel

angel New Member

Jun 16, 2008

we ask the children to line up in terms of their surname, so A at the front and Z at the back. It helps when quickly checking who is mising from the line at the end of lunchtime. It also helps when there is a fire drill!!!

22. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jun 16, 2008

Line them up by table, categories (red hair, sneakers, etc) and then anyone that argues goes to the back of the line.

23. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Jun 16, 2008

I suppose that's better than confusing them with "line up alphabetically by height."

24. buck8teacher

buck8teacher Devotee

Jun 16, 2008

My former teaching partner did:
    When going somewhere:
    Number Order---ABC by last name
    When coming back:
    Reverse ABC Order

Her helper was always first. I didn't do any number assigning this year in line, b/c my class could handle it. I think it depends on the year and the kids.

25. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Jun 16, 2008

We line up by # which is ABC order. I make changes are need be. I also have a student of the day which is always the line leader.

26. sundrop

sundrop Cohort

Jun 17, 2008

Sometimes if I just want them to line up quietly, I tap the shoulders of two students (a boy and a girl) who are sitting quietly ready to go. Then they tap the shoulders of one person who is sitting quietly and head to the door to line up. It keeps going this way until everyone is in line. It stays so quiet! If they get chatty in line, I just send them back to their seat.

This does take a little time, so don't try it if you are in a rush.

27. MrsPatten

MrsPatten Comrade

Jun 17, 2008

Everywhere we go we line up in "Bus Order" based on what bus they ride. Whoever is the "Student of the Day" from math meeting gets to be the line leader that way everyone has a turn.

28. loves2teach

loves2teach Enthusiast

Jun 17, 2008

My kids line up boy girl all year long. We talk from the start of school about not lining up by someone who will get them in trouble. I know of other teachers who have assigned orders (not necessarily abc) due to behaviors etc. Also, some assign the kids to be one square in the hall apart (makes for a lonnnng line).

29. EMonkey

EMonkey Connoisseur

Jun 17, 2008

The children all have numbers from there last name. I have them line up according to their numbers. The children line up a-z for about a month and then they start rotating daily. Number 1 on Monday, 2 on Tuesday all the way through the list.