Kids Act in Specials

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by TeacherBug08, Oct 10, 2013.

1. TeacherBug08

TeacherBug08 Companion

Oct 10, 2013

a reflection on the classroom teacher? I am just curious what your views are? If your class doesn't do the best in certain specials do you feel like it is a reflection on you or not?

3. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Oct 10, 2013

I'll just say it: Yeah, related arts teachers tend to notice trends pretty easily and quickly. When a teacher's class as a whole are unruly for a few years, and it's clear that teacher is not being given particularly challening rosters, it becomes a reflection on that teacher. But a problem here and there? No, I don't see that as a reflection of the teacher...just the child.

4. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Oct 10, 2013

I'll also say something. We have 4 "specials" at our school (kids visit one twice). Two have good classroom management and actually care about what they are doing. Two don't and don't. The two that don't are constantly griping about the kids from almost every class... in front of the kids. One just yells at them. The other is verbally abusive, in my opinion, unless you are one of her favorites. The yeller actually does get some teaching done. The abuser? Not so much. The only lesson my kids learned last year was when she was being observed! Oh, and I have strong classroom management skills, at least that's what everyone around me says, lol.

5. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Oct 10, 2013

Not necessarily.

If the regular classroom teacher has problems and the specials teacher does, too, it may just be the students are a hard-to-manage bunch.

If the regular classroom teacher does not have problems and the specials teacher does, then the problem is more likely to be with how the specials teacher is managing the classroom.

A few times I've taught regular classes and specials. I've even had the same kids, and they've behaved differently. In our case, the kids know that specials are NOT on equal footing with the core classes, and they think that means they can behave any way they wish.

And, of course, sometimes the regular teacher is lax with the management, and it will carry over and make the specials teacher's job harder.

I don't think a blanket statement can cover all the bases.

6. HorseLover

HorseLover Comrade

Oct 10, 2013

I think it is probably a combination of both the general teacher and the special teacher; I've seen kids who are fairly well behaved with their homeroom/classroom teacher act HORRIBLY with certain specials teachers

7. gr3teacher

gr3teacher Phenom

Oct 10, 2013

It can be, absolutely. My teammate and I switch for science and social studies. Her kids are consistently terrible for everyone they see, to include me, her, and all the specials teachers. My kids consistently rock for everyone... except for her. We have two different groups, to be sure, but I really don't think it's a complete coincidence.

8. Danny'sNanny

Danny'sNanny Connoisseur

Oct 10, 2013

I tend to get very challenging kids. Every year, I have the kids considered the "hardest" at the grade level. I can get them to the point where they behave for me - because they know they are safe and loved in my room. Specials and subs can be a nightmare. I know I am judged by several people for it though.

9. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Oct 10, 2013

Why are related arts not on "equal footing"? Why would students know this? That's a huge problem. It's either an administrative problem (not seeing value in the classes, etc.), a related arts teachers problem (ineffective, etc.), or a regular classroom teacher problem (showing their lack of respect toward those classes, etc.).

10. TeacherBug08

TeacherBug08 Companion

Oct 10, 2013

If your students do

not do good in a special what would you do about it? My kids do great in one special, okay in another and not so great in another?? I have had talks with them. What else can I do? The only thing I am thinking is that I have students earn a game to play at the end of the day. I could say if you do not to good in specials though we won't play a game at the end of the day. The only thing that worries me is that my specials are in mid-afternoon and if they know they aren't getting a game at the end I would hate for that to give them a I don't care attitude with the rest of our learning time? Sorry for the ramble...thoughts??

11. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Oct 10, 2013

If they can behave for two of the teachers, they can for the other. Quite possibly a related arts teacher problem. Is the teacher new?

12. TeacherBug08

TeacherBug08 Companion

Oct 10, 2013

Yes

the teacher is new, but they do have a hard time with another one sometime and that special teacher has been there for a long time.

13. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Oct 10, 2013

Hmm. Well, I would first want to know what the related arts teacher is doing to curb this undesired behavior. It's his/her responsibility. Yes, working together with behavior issues is sometimes necessary, but that should be reserved for more serious cases. Do you know what strategies the new teacher has tried?

14. TeacherBug08

TeacherBug08 Companion

Oct 10, 2013

No I do not

she always just lets me know what the problem is- My class isn't horrible at all- I just have a lot of talkers! That is the common problem. They are good listeners but in the afternoons they are much more talkative (that's when they have specials too). They don't do horrible in my room because I always say I never teach when you are talking and I wait (they get the point). I always make sure to tell them to listen to the speaker and you are strong if you can keep those sounds in when the teacher is talking. Any ideas or suggestions?

15. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Oct 10, 2013

The core classes last all year. Failing two or more core classes retains the student.

The specials rotate on a 9 week of 4.5 week basis. Failure in the specials will not result in retention.

16. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Oct 10, 2013

Honestly, excessive talking should be something the related arts teacher can handle. It's an awkward/uncomfortabke situation that he or she is reporting this to you. Ooh, I have an idea. The next time the teacher reports too much talking, I would say something like, "Oh, I am so disappointed to hear that. You know, I found that when I (fill in the blank), they do much better." Basically, put it on the RA teacher to work with the behaviors. The fill in the blank could be an old strategy.

17. TeacherBug08

TeacherBug08 Companion

Oct 10, 2013

Great!

Thanks for the advice! So you don't think I should stress over the fact that my students are talkers in a specials class?

18. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Aficionado

Oct 10, 2013

The specials teachers are responsible for managing their classrooms. They are certified teachers. I try to collaborate and brainstorm what might work with a particular student, but at the end of the day we are all responsible for managing our own classrooms.

19. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Oct 10, 2013

If your students were consistently "bad" then I would be concerned a bit. But if they behave for you and other teachers, it seems it's likely not "your" problem. It's not to say I wouldn't let the students know you EXPECT a positive report, and it's not to say that you can't praise or reward them for a positive report every once and again just to show them you notice and appreciate their efforts, but based on what you've shared, I wouldn't stress.

Has any of your teammates perhaps mentioned that the RE teacher has similar problems with their students?

20. TeacherBug08

TeacherBug08 Companion

Oct 10, 2013

Well I think in general all of our specials have a hard time at our school because it is a very urban district. Some of my kids come from very hard homes etc. and they only see these kids twice a week. It is a hard school to teach in.

21. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Oct 10, 2013

Yes and no. When I pick my class up I always ask the teacher how they were, so the kids know I'm checking up on them, and they know that there will be a consequence if their behavior isn't great.

However, all teachers have different classroom management styles, and I obviously can't control what happens when I'm not there. Fortunately, I've only had positive experiences with specials teachers.

22. TeacherBug08

TeacherBug08 Companion

Oct 10, 2013

Driving Pigeon what would you do for a consequence?

23. Goingback

Goingback Rookie

Oct 10, 2013

I do not take it as a reflection on me. Last year my students struggled in some of their specials, but I had very few problems in my classroom. One of the teachers began sending certain students back to me from their class, this happened to be during my only prep time. I spoke to her and told her that I could not be responsible for them during this time because I was not always in my room but that I would enforce whatever punishment she gave them within reason.

My problem with this was I did not hold her responsible for classroom management in my class and I did not have time to deal with problems from her class when they returned, it all needed to be taken care of within her class time. When the kids would come back to me and tell me something that happened in her class, I told them they had to address it with her while they were in her class, that at that point it was all hear-say to me. So now she is friendly to me but standoffish, when I would get my kids from her class she would tell me Student A had problems can you.....(whatever punishment she felt appropriate). Took a load of stress off of me when I no longer felt I had to discipline while they were in the care of another teacher.

24. live

live Companion

Oct 10, 2013

I've wondered the same thing.

We have a specials teacher that I think confuses being firm with yelling. My kids dread seeing her, and they misbehave when they do. It's like they're a completely different class. They don't act that way for anyone else, including other specials teachers.

I hope that's not a reflection on me, but based on what other teachers and the admin have said, it's not.

I'd look for patterns; there's some variable that's effecting the way they act. I'm guessing it's not you.

25. FarFromHome

FarFromHome Connoisseur

Oct 10, 2013

Sometimes I notice patterns. The worst class in my school has the same problems in every classroom, including the classroom teacher.

My first year teaching music I did tell the teachers about problems more often. But something I did wrong was not explain to the teachers why I did this. I wasn't expecting them to solve or address the problem-I just wanted to make them aware in case it was a recurring problem for them also. I should have made that clear up front.

This year I created a new classroom management system for music and behavior is so much better! The first year was just hard for me to transition from the regular classroom to a specials class. You have to do so many things different! Especially because I only see my kids on a rotation schedule-about every 10 days (including weekends).

26. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Oct 11, 2013

I guess it depends...I've honestly never had to have a consequence. I would probably spend writer's workshop writing a class letter to the teacher. I wouldn't want to take away recess, or have them each write a letter, since some of the kids probably didn't misbehave.

27. alm111

alm111 Rookie

Oct 11, 2013

I don't really think so. The specials teachers at my school do monthly positive behavior awards, and it's consistently the same groups of kids year to year that get these. Last year, I taught one of the great groups, and each teacher's class in my grade got the award at least once. This year, I have a difficult group. Their past classroom teachers and the specials teachers who have had them since kindy all know its a challenging group. We're not on track for any PBIS awards, but my kids from last year have received recognition again. The specials teachers seem to know the personality of each grade, so even though classes get mixed up year to year and some kids come and go, the overall vibe is pretty consistent.

28. iteachbx

iteachbx Enthusiast

Oct 13, 2013

I think it's more of a reflection of the teacher they're with. If they're not running wild in my classroom and they're running wild when you're in charge of them, well then it's probably something you're doing. There are a handful of prep teachers in my school who always seem to have problems with certain students or classes but these problems don't occur with the classroom teachers. I can't control how my class behaves when I'm not around. If they see that the teacher in charge is giving empty threats, doesn't have management systems in place, etc. of course they're going to take advantage just like they would if I didn't do those things.

29. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Oct 13, 2013

Prep teachers?

30. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Oct 13, 2013

Oops...just now responding. I see what you mean now. I didn't realize you mean grade-wise. Got it. :)

31. iteachbx

iteachbx Enthusiast

Oct 20, 2013

We call them preps not specials at my school. Since some of them aren't really "specials." Out of 6 specials a week 4 are spent doing more math, science or reading. The other two are dance and gym.