Kidney Stones

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by TiffanyL, Jan 27, 2011.

1. TiffanyL

TiffanyL Cohort

Jan 27, 2011

Anyone ever had a kidney stone? I have one and was in extreme pain all last night. Was admitted to the ER where they gave me great pain meds. Pain meds are pretty long lasting with me and so I took nothing all day today and just rested.

Now, its almost 11pm here and I have quite a bit of pain back. Nothing like last night but.....I thought I was out of the woods. The stone hasn't passed yet.

Anyone ever gone through this?

3. Irishdave

Irishdave Enthusiast

Jan 27, 2011

YES they are a pain in the Back literally!
    and passing them is no fun
    I was told by a nurse that for a man to pass a kidney stone it is as close as he can get to labor pain, I got a new respect for women in Labor from that!!!!!!
    I was in the hospital for a week, missed my son's first birthday party (you'd think the wife would have postponed the party, after all the first one is more for the parents than the kid anyway, now you know why she is an ex.)

Good luck there,
    I had sweats and chills too.... but I did get extra sleep

4. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jan 27, 2011

Kidney stones are the worst! I had them about 8 months after having my second child and I swear it was like REALLY bad labor pains...terrible, terrible. My son had them right after graduating from high school...he was on ridiculous controlled substance kinds of pain killers and still had trouble managing the pain. :hugs:, Tiffany!

5. INteacher

INteacher Aficionado

Jan 27, 2011

I hope you get some relief soon Tiffany. I have never had one yet (knock wood) but have many friends that have passed kidney stones. A few even created new words to describe the pain.

Thinking of you and hoping all goes well :hugs:

6. DHE

DHE Connoisseur

Jan 27, 2011

Hope you feel better, I heard those are extremely painful.

7. stargirl

stargirl Companion

Jan 27, 2011

Thankfully, I haven't, but my sister had one once--she didn't know what it was, but since she was in so much agony, another sister and I took her to the ER. She was literally writhing around on the floor, she couldn't sit down, lie down, etc.

8. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Jan 27, 2011

This thread made me look up prevention strategies. And, it looks like I'm eating a pretty good diet so that should help prevent kidney stones from forming. Man, I'm sorry Tiffany. I hope you can pass it soon and get better.

9. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Jan 27, 2011

I had them and the pain was crazy for 2 days before I went to the ER. Yep, whatever they gave me felt like a miracle. Afterwards, I didn't have too much pain - and I never did know when I passed the stone. I haven't had a problem since.

I've heard that reducing the amount of tea you drink and increasing water can help.

10. chemteach55

chemteach55 Connoisseur

Jan 27, 2011

I gave birth to 3 children and have had 3 kidney stones. The kidney stones were much more painful. They could not give me enough pain meds to get rid of the pain. I was miserable. The good thing is that the minute that it passes the pain goes away. I have had to totally stop drinking tea because that is what caused mine. I was a huge ice tea drinker.

11. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Virtuoso

Jan 27, 2011

I've had one kidney stone. I was waking up in the middle of the night vomiting. I did have a backache, but it wasn't a sharp kind of pain. It just made me really, really uncomfortable. I couldn't find a comfortable position. The vomiting was terrible. I was in grade school at the time, and my professor sent me home from class because I looked bad. I went to the campus infirmary, and they sent me for tests. The tests showed a stone, but they said I could pass it.

I didn't pass it, but it also stopped bothering me. A couple of months later, I had another attack. I went directly from work to the ER, and I was admitted for emergency surgery. The stone was much larger than it originally showed on the x-ray, and it had blocked the duct leading from the kidney to the bladder. I spent two days in the hospital, a week out of work, and missed my masters comps.

One of my co-workers has chronic kidney stones. He's had dozens of them. He has a child with the same condition. He's in high school and has already had multiple kidney stones.

12. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Jan 27, 2011

I am sooo sorry! I have never had kidney stones, but know someone who gets them frequently. I hope you feel better soon.

13. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jan 27, 2011

There are reasons other than diet that are contributing factors for kidney stones. A healthy diet of course is always the best idea. It was NOT the issue in my case or in my son's.