Kiddie Academy

Discussion in 'Preschool' started by tcherjen, Dec 18, 2008.

1. tcherjen

tcherjen Comrade

Dec 18, 2008

Anyone know the starting salary at Kiddie Academy? This would be for a teacher.

3. Blue

Blue Aficionado

Dec 18, 2008

...as much as you can get. Depending upon your education and/or experience, you might be able to negociate a few cents more. At my last job, I asked for and got 75 cents an hour more.

4. scarlet_begonia

scarlet_begonia Comrade

Dec 22, 2008

Depends on where you are and how desperate they are. Usually if you have your standard cert the daycares really want you. But they don't pay a lot: the kiddie academy I worked at 10 years ago started me at $7 an hour. (I'm certified.) Rates have gone up since then, but don't expect more than $11 or $12 an hour.

I suggest that whatever they tell you, try for a dollar more. If they're really desperate they'll do it. If they won't, you can suggest 2 more sick days a year. The Kiddie Academy I worked at gave 2 personal and 3 sick days a year. It was horrible; I hurt my back and had to go to work anyway 'cause I couldn't afford to take off. Definitely try to negotiate!

5. tcherjen

tcherjen Comrade

Dec 23, 2008

Thank you. I have a BA in el. education. Wondering if I should take this job or sub in my area. Having a job would be great, but it is a drive to the center. I would also be putting my daughter in there with me, so that would cost money too. Not sure of what to do.

6. scarlet_begonia

scarlet_begonia Comrade

Dec 25, 2008

The center I worked at charged 25% for your children, but I negotiated and didn't have to pay for my son. So, that's a savings, too. You have to weigh the pros and cons to make your decision.

To work at Kiddie Academy--
    Pro: steady paycheck, cheaper childcare, your own classroom
    Con: don't make a lot of money, less freedom to do your own thing (if you like to teach that way--I do), don't get your name known in district

It also depends on where you sub: the middle class districts in my area pay $65 to $70 a day. Others pay up to 90. And the inner city district pays up to $110 a day. BUT do you have someone who can watch your son if you sub? Because if you put him in daycare you have to PAY for that daycare. You don't pay if he's not there (when you're off.) So if you sub only 2 days a week, there goes your paycheck. The entire thing goes to childcare.

I tried subbing at first. I even found a daycare that would let me pay only when my son was there. I just couldn't do it; I needed a steady paycheck. And working full time was slightly less per day (for me) than subbing but since I working every day, it was more money total. I also didn't have to pay for childcare anymore since I got them to add that perk on.

7. tcherjen

tcherjen Comrade

Dec 28, 2008

Thank you for your help. The academy is an hr away from my house. I think I am going to try subbing. Mainly because I want to be near my older two children. I do have the daycare that I used during my student teaching and I can drop dd off there whild I sub.

8. scarlet_begonia

scarlet_begonia Comrade

Dec 28, 2008

An hour away?!? Most chain centers have you work a 9 hour day (with an hour unpaid lunch.) That way they have more coverage at the beginning and end of the day, and you take your breaks while the kids have a 2 hr nap. So you'd be away from the house for 11 hours each day. That's a lot of time for anyone, but with 3 kids? I don't think I could do it.

9. tgpii

tgpii Comrade

Aug 9, 2014

I may have an interview at a Kiddie Academy in the northwest suburbs of Chicago, IL. The position is for Director. I have worked as a teacher and director in the past. I am currently a director at preschool. I have a Bachelors in Liberal Arts but I am IL DCFS teacher and director qualified I also have other certifications What would the salary and or benefits be? I know you do ECE not for the money but I do like to eat. Thanks.

10. tgpii

tgpii Comrade

Aug 9, 2014

I may have an interview at a Kiddie Academy in the northwest suburbs of Chicago, IL. The position is for Director. I have worked as a teacher and director in the past. I am currently a director at preschool. I have a Bachelors in Liberal Arts but I am IL DCFS teacher and director qualified I also have other certifications What would the salary and or benefits be? I know you do ECE not for the money but I do like to eat. Thanks. :help:

11. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 9, 2014

Maybe the two kiddie academy threads could be combined by mods?

12. tgpii

tgpii Comrade

Aug 10, 2014

Can you do that please? Mean time can anyone answer the post please? :wow::wow:

13. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 10, 2014

You can send a message to the mods.

Didn't seem to be any answers to the salary question when it was first posed in the other thread...this could be something to discuss as part of the hiring process.

14. tgpii

tgpii Comrade

Aug 10, 2014

You see a job add and no salary is mentioned. When is the correct time to bring up

You see a job add and no salary is mentioned. When is the correct time to bring up salary? :thanks:

15. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 10, 2014

As part of hiring recess, not during interview.

16. tgpii

tgpii Comrade

Aug 10, 2014

recess

Recess?

17. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 10, 2014

Process...process! Typo due to auto correct but I used process in the earlier post.:dizzy:

Good luck to you.