Keyboarding in Elementary School

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by saintrobyn, Jun 20, 2011.

1. saintrobyn

saintrobyn New Member

Jun 20, 2011

I am trying to get a basic idea of when keyboarding should be taught in school. We have three levels of technology in my school district ranging from elementary to high school, with me being the ele. tech teacher working with grades K-6. My class is treated like a special so I only meet with any given class once a week. Given the limited amount of time I have with my classes I would like to best use my time with them. Here are some of the questions I have:

-Does your district teach keyboarding in school and if so what do you start at?

-Do you think it is beneficial to teach them in elementary school or should it wait until higher grades?

-Do think it even needs to be taught or is it a skill that students are coming in with now that computers are so prevalent at home?

Thank you for any advice that you have.

3. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Jun 20, 2011

This is coming from a kindergarten teacher, so take it for what it's worth!

My school starts keyboarding in 4th grade. I'm not sure how far it goes beyond that (my school only goes up to 4th). I think it is beneficial to teach it in elementary schools. Once you know how to type, it is just automatic, and it is a very important skill for kids to have, since they type so often.

4. Lynn K.

Lynn K. Habitué

Jun 20, 2011

We have a dedicated lab with a full time teacher. Students in K-8 each have computer class for one hour/week. Students at our school start keyboarding in 1st grade. K students learn to log in and basic skills in KidPix.

5. alschoolteacher

alschoolteacher Companion

Jun 20, 2011

We are a K-8 school. Each class has 1 hr/week in computer. We start keyboarding basics in K, but get more serious about it in 2nd. We gradually add typing projects to the curriculum, until 4th grade where they spend the majority of computer time typing assignments. 5th-8th work on learning to use different programs effectively and with purpose.

6. sewlo

sewlo Rookie

Jun 20, 2011

This is what I did with my kiddos last year. (I taught computer lab.)

K - We only practiced logging in, etc.
    1 - Did a game called Keyboard Climber. It essentially helps them find the letters with different levels to achieve. My kids were SO EXCITED when they finished the last level!
    2 - I used Dance Mat Typing lessons (BBC). There are 12 lessons. It was funny and while it was hard, the kids liked it. Problem is, you can't stop in the middle of a lesson, so I would plan 6 lessons for the first half of the year and 6 lessons for the second half of the year and make sure they have enough time to finish each lesson. Then plan a fun computer activity when they finish as it can be difficult for some of them.
    3-5 - Start a real typing program that allows them to set goals, track progress, etc. I would do 15 minutes every 3 weeks or a month with 3rd grade; 15 minutes every other with 4th; 15 minutes every week with 5th, etc. In my district, by the time they got to middle school they were required to take keyboarding, so it's great practice for them (though not always fun). Unfortunately, my administration wouldn't purchase a typing program for me to use so I had to improvise with other typing games, but a dedicated program that they can log in to is MUCH better.

Hope this is helpful!

7. Rider81

Rider81 Rookie

Jun 20, 2011

k-8 school, keyboarding from grades 1-8 (about 25% of their computer time - so about 30 mins a week). i think it's important! :)

8. txmomteacher2

txmomteacher2 Enthusiast

Jun 20, 2011

We go to computer lab everyday for 30 minutes. We have a reading program that we must do at least 3 times a week. The other two are pretty much supposed to be spent teaching them other tech skills. Although that doesn't happen. I am really trying to get that changed for this coming up year. If anyone has any ideas for a computer program that helps teach keyboarding skills that would be awesome.

9. smurfette

smurfette Habitué

Jun 20, 2011

Do you have examples of typing programs you would like your admin to purchase?

10. txmomteacher2

txmomteacher2 Enthusiast

Jun 20, 2011

11. yellowdaisies

yellowdaisies Fanatic

Jun 21, 2011

I've never actually worked at a school that teaches keyboarding (very unfortunate, IMO), but I can speak from my own experience in school. We started learning keyboarding in 4th grade (later it was 3rd), and I still view typing as one of the most valuable skills I learned in elementary school! I'm always shocked by how many people I know never learned how to type. That skill has made my life so much easier through all my years of school! I think it should definitely be started in elementary.