Key, password, or nothing?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Ghost, Jul 10, 2008.

1. Ghost

Ghost Habitué

Jul 10, 2008

One job I had a key to my portable but I couldn't get in the gate until a custodian unlocked it. In another school, I had a key to the school, an alarm code and a key to my room. A third school offered me a job, but there is no lock on the room doors and no way to get in the school unless a custodian is present.

What are the policies at your school?

3. little317

little317 Groupie

Jul 10, 2008

We have a classroom key and a gate key. We used the gate key if we ever needed to come in on a weekend.....we would have to get clearance first.

4. Teacher Chele

Teacher Chele Habitué

Jul 10, 2008

Keys. All of our rooms have hallway and outside doors and we have keys to both. Hallway doors are to be kept in locked position(locked from outside) at all times b/c of security. Outside doors automatically lock of course. Once school starts, we can come into our own classrooms at anytime of the day or night. We just cannot go into the hallways if the alarm is on.

5. BASAM

BASAM Comrade

Jul 10, 2008

We all have keys to our room and they need to with us at all times for lockdown purposes. We have key cards so we can get into the building whenever we want except for between 11 pm and 6 am, admin doesn't think it is safe to be there during those hours.

6. teach_each1

teach_each1 Comrade

Jul 10, 2008

key card that allows me to get in to the school from 6:30-7pm M-F during the school. Bang on the door from 7pm-12am and hope a custodian hears you to let you in (durng the school year) No access during summer until the P comes back July 30th

7. Teacher Chele

Teacher Chele Habitué

Jul 10, 2008

We don't get summer access either and it drives me crazy. They actually take up our keys. We have to keep our with us at all times also. It can be a pain, but you get used to it.

8. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Jul 10, 2008

We have keys to our classrooms, and some of us have keys to the outside doors. There is an alarm with decent hours, and some people have the code.

There are people in and out during the summers, so it's hit and miss to get in then.

9. Andrea L

Andrea L Habitué

Jul 10, 2008

We are given a key to the building that only opens the front door, lunchroom, library, workroom, and adult bathrooms. We have a seperate key for our room. There is an alarm code you must use if you go in on the weekends. During the summer, we give up all our keys and don't get them back until August 1st. We don't have a gate or anything around our school.

10. cheeryteacher

cheeryteacher Enthusiast

Jul 10, 2008

We have swipe keys to get into the building. They only open certain entrances. I also have the key to my room. It opens a few other doors, I know it opens the copy room and a storage room.
    At one school I was at only certain random people had keys and the alarm code. My friend had a key and she just made a copy for me. At another school only one teacher had a key. She was always there early.

11. hawkteacher

hawkteacher Comrade

Jul 10, 2008

At my last school we weren't allowed in the building after school hours past 6pm (being a first year teacher and friendly with the custodians, I of course stayed later) and were never granted access at any other time. I used to dream about what I could accomplish on just one Saturday or Sunday afternoon in my classroom.

Luckily, this year I will get that chance! My new district actually trusts their teachers --- shocking! I have an electronic pass card to get into the building, alarm code and room key. I am sooooooooo excited!

12. teach_each1

teach_each1 Comrade

Jul 10, 2008

i had to turn in my key card and badge too

13. RainStorm

RainStorm Phenom

Jul 10, 2008

We have a classroom key. Our building is open Monday - Friday from 6:30am until 7:00pm. No access on weekends. Even though we have a punch code to the back door, it will set the alarm off, so going in after hours or on weekends is a no-no. The police don't appreciate being called out for no reason.

14. Mrs. R.

Mrs. R. Connoisseur

Jul 10, 2008

We are getting swipe cards this year. We can all know the alarm code if we ask, and we can go in anytime we want. We also get classroom keys.

15. MissMaurie

MissMaurie Companion

Jul 10, 2008

We have a key that opens all classroom doors but no other rooms. We have ID badges that open three exterior doors. The building is open 6:30 am - 6:30 pm M-F only. No summer access from mid June through the end of July.

I am very jealous of anyone who has access to their room whenever they need.

16. Mrs. K.

Mrs. K. Enthusiast

Jul 10, 2008

Classroom and bathroom keys. I have an inside room and so can't get in on the weekends because the alarms are set, and I don't have a corridor key anyway. There's some construction going on now so I could get in if I wanted, but the A/C isn't on, so I'll pass!

17. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Jul 10, 2008

We all have keys and all the locks (including classrooms and outside doors) are the same. Oh, except for the trailers. They all have different keys. The office area and teacher workroom (with the copier) is alarmed. So, if the office staff and administration is gone, you can't get in (people aren't happy when someone sets the alarm off!)

18. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jul 10, 2008

I have keys to my classroom, my hallway, and the main office. I also have a key to the building, but it only works for one particular door.

The school building is generally open from 5:30 AM until 10:00 PM during the week and in the mornings on weekends (when there are local groups using our school for random things like church meetings). This means that I can enter through my regular door without needing to enter the alarm code. If I want to come in after hours, I need to go through an extra secure door and enter my alarm code. The only way to get a key for that special door is to check one out on a temporary basis.

19. BevAnn

BevAnn Rookie

Jul 10, 2008

After Hours Building Access

At my old school we had keys to our rooms that had an outside door. We had to be on an approved list to have access to the building, but we had to call the district's security office before entering and again when leaving.
    At my new school there are only a few rooms with doors leading directly outside. Those teachers must follow the same procedures as above. The rest of us must have the principal come and unlock the building for us or come to school with a teacher who does have access because of their classroom location.
    If you enter the building without contacting security first, the alarm will sound and you could have your keys taken away by security when they arrive at the school.

20. loves2teach

loves2teach Enthusiast

Jul 10, 2008

I forgot to turn my pass key in this year... I am suprised that they didn't call me and ask for it. I use that to get into the back of the building, and into the main part of the school. I haven't used them, because the air isn't turned on at school, plus I know the school is stinky due to them working on the floors. My actual classroom keys were turned in, and I will get them back when school starte.

21. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Jul 11, 2008

Exterior door key, classroom key. Yet I think this year we are having some kind of scanning system (from what I have gathered).

22. Pooh42

Pooh42 Companion

Jul 11, 2008

Access to school

During the school year the building if open from 6am-6pm if you want weekend access you must get approval from the principal- during back to school time it is a few of us that want to work on the weekend and we get the key from the P-they recently put in an alarm system and only certain people have access to the code-but they are good about letting us in if we need to

We have to turn our keys in at the end of the school year-however, the custodians work year round-so during the summer they work a 10 hour day M-Th and the entire district is off on Fri

So if I need to get in my room-I just go up there-the only time you don't have access is if they are doing the floors during summer-and I just usually ask them when they will be done with my room and when they will do the hallway

I just finished doing summer school yesterday (and I did not turn in my key) so I am not in a hurry to get back in there yet-they just destroyed my room taking everything out to do my floors-so I will go back the first week in Aug

23. GD2BQN

GD2BQN Comrade

Jul 11, 2008

Our key opens the bldg. and our classroom. We have individual codes to get in after we unlock the bldg.

24. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

Jul 11, 2008

We have classroom keys that also open the printshop and a few other doors here and there. Each grade level team leader has a key to the building. Other teachers can check out a key if you want one, but you still have to arrange to have the alarm turned off by the building manager, P, or AP (all live within5 minutes of the school). We haven't been given the clear to go back yet, but it should be coming any day now.

25. alilisa

alilisa Habitué

Jul 11, 2008

I have keys to get into the building, copy room, library, computer lab and my classroom. I love it. I can come and go as I please!!!
    I did work in a couple of districts where you had a room key, but couldn't have access during the night/weekend! Only certain people were allowed to have that! I guess I didn't suck up enough!! ;)

26. glen

glen Companion

Jul 11, 2008

I have full access to the building, classroom, and most other rooms in the building except the offices. I only live 10 minutes from school, so it's great to be able to run back in the evening, over the weekend, or during the summer if I need to get something or set things up. I do have to admit, though, it's a little creepy to be the only person in the building!

27. KRaeLamb

KRaeLamb Rookie

Jul 11, 2008

Wow! I feel like my school isn't as safe as I once thought.

There isn't a gate around my school. Infact, there are something like 12 doors that you can enter the school through. Those doors all have the same key...we all have that key. Teachers, aides, custodians, regular subs, coaches....all of us.

Each room has its own key. However, I've been in three rooms since starting at this school so I have all three keys. The teacher that had my room before me has like 7 different keys!

I can go into the school whenever I want. No need to get clearence...no need to tell anyone. Infact, I was there today to get some books to look at while I'm on vacation this week. It looked like others had been there as well.

28. etcetera83

etcetera83 Cohort

Jul 11, 2008

We have a key to our classrooms and storage rooms. There is a key pad on four of the exterior doors to let teachers in. You can only use the code between certain hours or it won't work. We have an alarm that is set and you can't get in after hours or on weekends unless the principal, VP, or custodian is there to let you in.