Kevin Henkes

Discussion in 'First Grade' started by 1gdteach, Jul 23, 2008.

1. 1gdteach

1gdteach Companion

Jul 23, 2008

Anyone have any fun lesson plans for Kevin Henkes books...

3. trayums

trayums Enthusiast

Jul 23, 2008

He is one of my all time fav. children's authors. I use a lot of his books the first few weeks of school and then we use a bunch of them as touchstone texts throughout the year for reading workshop and writing as well...
    The first day or two of school I read the children Chrysanthemum and we count the number of letters in her name. The kids then cut out their own name and count the letters and then we make a class graph of how many letters each child has in their name. It is a really cute activity that the kids loved and I did too.
    Also- I read Wemberly Worried on the first day and throughout the first few months I put out a journal called the I'm Worried Journal where they can share their worries about first grade or being back in school or anything they feel anxious about.
    We read many of his books and then create a chart that talks about who the characters are/what the setting was/ what the problem was/ what the solution was in the story and we compare and contrast them. Also-- after reading, I often have them begin to respond to text by having them tell what their favorite part of the story was and illustrate as well.
    Thats all I can think of for now- I have more at school in my beginning of the year file. Hope that helps a bit.

4. lemonhead

lemonhead Aficionado

Jul 23, 2008

Cute ideas trayums! Is this journal just a regular spiral or do you do something special? How do you go back and address the journal?

Thanks!

Lemon

5. 1gdteach

1gdteach Companion

Jul 24, 2008

I really like the journal idea!!! I know that many children come to school with worry's and this helps them get their feelings out.

6. trayums

trayums Enthusiast

Jul 24, 2008

Hi~
    The journal is just a small blue book but maybe I'll use a little spiral notebook this year. Write "I'm Worried" on the front of it and put it on a table with the book. I look in the journal a few times a day for the first week or so and then probably once a day for a few more weeks and I do address the worries with the kids. Sometimes we talk about them as a group (I don't name names)... for example; one of my kids was worried because she still didn't know how to tie her shoes. So-- we brainstormed ideas for children who might still be working on tying. The kids and I decided that we would have few shoe tying experts that would be ready to help anyone who might need it. :)

7. 1gdteach

1gdteach Companion

Jul 24, 2008

That is such as cute idea

8. Ilovefirst

Ilovefirst Comrade

Jul 24, 2008

I do a follow up to Wemberly Worried as well. I have a little bunny that I copy that ends up having a movable ear (using a fastener) and he holds a pocket (half of an envelope). They write something they worry about, fold it up and put it in the pocket. They can share their worry if they want but they don't have to.

I also read Chrysanthumum and they make name danglers. I cut out letters using the diecut and they find the letters in their name and glue them together vertically. Later I laminate them and we hang them from the ceiling above their seats. We also make a graph of the number of letters in our names. We make a list of the names that start with each letter too.

With Lilly's Purple Plastic Purse we make a list of the things Lilly keeps in her purse. Then I have them think of something (a purse, backpack, toychest, etc) that they keep things in and they make their own list of what is in it. - Writing lists is one of the first things we do in writing at my school so this fits well at the beginning of the year.

9. 1gdteach

1gdteach Companion

Jul 24, 2008

I love the Lilly's Purple Plastic Purse idea...

10. Ilovefirst

Ilovefirst Comrade

Jul 24, 2008

Thanks! I use a fun "list paper" that is folded in half vertically and decorated on both sides. It has lines on it that a numbered I think 1 to 10. The paper just makes it fun for them. I also have some that just has a numbered list with a border around it that they decorate.

11. trayums

trayums Enthusiast

Jul 24, 2008

Great ideas Ilovefirst!!!!!

12. 1st-yr-teacher

1st-yr-teacher Comrade

Jul 24, 2008

During my student teaching, I taught a lesson using the book "Owen" by Kevin Henkes. I started off reading the book and talking a lot about how Owen loves his blanket. Then, we did a shared writing where we wrote about Owen and his favorite blanket. Next, I had the students bring their favorite thing and they wrote about their favorite thing. After the students finished their writing, they presented their favorite thing and read what they wrote to the class.

It turned out really great and I think I was observed by my professor and received excellent reviews!

13. lemonhead

lemonhead Aficionado

Jul 24, 2008

These are terrific ideas! Thank you all so much.

:)
    Lemon