Keurig?

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by orangetea, Aug 20, 2013.

1. orangetea

orangetea Connoisseur

Aug 20, 2013

I have gotten into the bad habit of buying coffee at Dunkin Donuts every morning and it's really adding up. I want to start making coffee at home and I want it to be quick. I've heard really good reviews about the Keurig but it seems pretty expensive to use, especially because the k-cups seem expensive. Is a Keurig really worth it or should I just get a normal coffee maker?

3. waterfall

waterfall Virtuoso

Aug 20, 2013

My problem with the Keurig is that I always want more than one cup! In the past when I've made coffee in the morning I've made a whole thermos worth and just taken it with me to school. It seems like such a waste to only get one little cup, but I guess it would be convenient if that's all you want. We had one in the staff lounge at my first school.

I quit making coffee last year because I never got up early enough, but then I got into the bad habit of drinking diet coke in the morning for caffeine instead. I think the coffee is probably a better choice if I have to have something...so I'm going to try bringing that instead this year.

4. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Aug 20, 2013

I love it. On weekdays I make a cup before work. On weekends I sometimes make a 2nd cup but it really is good for me since I'm trying to limit my coffee. I used to make a whole pot and drink it ALL because I didn't want to let it go to waste! I also like the variety since I can get the different flavored cups and also use the refillable cups to make different coffees and teas.

5. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Aug 20, 2013

I love my Keurig! It lets me choose a different flavor every day, and I like the ones that you brew over ice, too! And the cider, and tea, and hot chocolate. I use it often at parties or holidays with my family when everyone wants something different to drink.

6. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 20, 2013

:thumb: all of the above! Also, you can buy a re-fillable k cup device that you can fill with your own ground coffee.

7. terptoteacher

terptoteacher Connoisseur

Aug 20, 2013

There are different cup sizes too. I make a large cup while dh make a normal cup.

8. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Aug 20, 2013

Hahaha to me the large cup IS the normal cup :lol:

9. MsMar

MsMar Fanatic

Aug 20, 2013

I have a Keurig and it's perfect for me because I only drink one cup per day and dh isn't a coffee drinker. My kids enjoy the occasional hot cocoa, apple cider or iced tea.

If you happen to live by a Wegmans close by, their K cups are good, in my opinion, and work out to be $0.50 per cup. You can also go to Bed Bath and Beyond with 20% off coupons. Or as someone mentioned, put your own cheaper ground coffee into the filter attachment they sell for about $15. Though, I personally found it tedious to clean and not as tasty as when I made it from their cups so I own one but haven't used it in probably 2 years.

10. MsMar

MsMar Fanatic

Aug 20, 2013

LOL - same here :lol:! I only use the middle setting for my iced coffee.

11. sue35

sue35 Habitué

Aug 20, 2013

I don't like it because it is not strong enough for me. It takes like watered down coffee to me. But I could be a special case because I know a lot of people like it

12. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Aug 20, 2013

It depends on the K-cup, and the setting you brew it on. Some of them do taste really weak to me.

13. amakaye

amakaye Enthusiast

Aug 20, 2013

And I believe the newer ones have settings where you can make the brew stronger...

I love mine, as others have mentioned, because it keeps me to one cup on weekdays (although I may get a second at school) and only occasionally two on the weekends. I also like having it to make hot chocolate or a cup of decaf sometimes on winter evenings.

14. Irishdave

Irishdave Enthusiast

Aug 20, 2013

Orangetea! I am confused you want coffee?
    Isn't your name "orangetea"
    I know, I could not resist it :toofunny:

15. Teachling

Teachling Groupie

Aug 20, 2013

I have the newer ones which required the 'V' cup and offer the option of making it stronger. While it may never be as stronger as the old, old fashion way of making it come out stronger by doing it manually, I love it! Makes it simple when you are on the go. I tend to have 2 --- one while I'm getting dress and at least a partial of a second cup if I'm not quite done with the first so I have something to go too.

Regarding the variety of ready coffee cups, I'm not much interested. I did find the dark French roast for the v cups for $6 at Office Depot which is at least 50% off the normal price. It seems to be the only one I may splurge and buy. I opted to get the refillable cups from Kohls, one was free due to cash backs, coupons,etc and the other two were about $7 for all due to the same as stated. I love being able to use my own coffee. I am a very SELECTIVE coffee drinker and most coffee out in the marker tend to taste more like 'koolaid' coffee. I prefer coffee from other countries that tend to focus on making them strong. It's just my preference.

16. terptoteacher

terptoteacher Connoisseur

Aug 20, 2013

I bought the cafe cup from the As Seen On TV section.I use about 1tsp of finely ground coffee.

17. orangetea

orangetea Connoisseur

Aug 20, 2013

I like tea better than coffee anyways :)

I don't think I'm going to buy one! It sounds really nice but I don't think the cost is worth it (mainly for the k cups) when I'm sure I can find a single serve coffee machine.

18. BookReader813

BookReader813 Companion

Aug 21, 2013

My husband and I use and LOVE our Keurig. I don't drink much coffee, but when I have the craving, I like being able to make as big a cup as I want without making an entire pot and wasting it. My husband's only complaint is that ours doesn't make enough at a time to fill up one of those huge Thermos containers, so he uses a regular coffee pot in the winter to make and take coffee to work so he can have something warm to drink throughout the cold mornings!

We buy ground coffee and have a reusable filter to brew. We did the K-cup thing for a long time, but it was very expensive. While using the reusable filter can be tedious, I think the savings outweigh the extra time it takes to brew.

19. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Aug 21, 2013

I would love to have a Keurig! Hopefully if I put it on my Christmas list, I'll get one. :)

20. Kat53

Kat53 Devotee

Aug 21, 2013

If you have a Target or Walmart by you, they usually sell the small Mr. Coffee makers for around $20. They make about one full cup.

21. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Aug 21, 2013

It really does save time. Mine has a timer so it turns on automatically in the morning and all I have to do is push the button! I also like that I don't have to clean out my coffee pot all the time. I do clean the Keurig and run white vinegar through it once in a while but it's not as often as I have to clean the regular coffee maker.

22. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Aug 21, 2013

I got Peter one last Christmas. We had agreed not to spend a lot of money on each other... too many friends needed too much last year for us to do our usual over-the-top Christmas. So I was really on the lookout for a bargain.

I got the deal of a lifetime at Kohls:
    Original price: $180
    On sale for $150 (a week or two before Thanksgiving.)
    30% coupon, so down to $105
    Keurig was giving a $35 rebate, so down to $70.
    And that got me $10 in Kohl's cash, so that $180 Keurig cost me $60.

And he LOVES it!!

23. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Aug 21, 2013

I will definitely be on the lookout for some good deals!

24. teachinnola

teachinnola Rookie

Aug 21, 2013

This is what I do, I love it! Definitely get one with a water reservoir.

25. Blue

Blue Aficionado

Aug 22, 2013

I wanted one for several years, but DH said it was too expensive. THEN, he tasted some coffee from one, and bought on the next week. For him to spend that much money, it has to be good.

26. Irishdave

Irishdave Enthusiast

Aug 22, 2013

I would not buy one for two reasons

One I don't like coffee

Two when I make coffee I have been told I make great coffee even though I never drink it! I just follow my mom's way of making coffee and not one person has ever complained, for reals! AND NO I WAS NOT HOLDING A GUN ON THEM