Kelly Services vs. District?

Discussion in 'Substitute Teachers' started by hatima, Feb 17, 2010.

1. hatima

hatima Devotee

Feb 17, 2010

I've noticed ads for Kelly Services that serves some schools in my area. I currently work for a school district, as a sub and a literacy teacher. I'm expecting to loose both positions due to education cuts that are likely to occur. I need to plan for another job, currently I have not benefits. From what I understand of Kelly Services website they provide benefits. Can anyone tell me if they are a good service to work for? Also, what is the pay rate for a licensed teacher? Do they pay you per-job, or do they pay you to work daily?

Potential principals and hiring officials, does Kelly Services look any worse than subbing on the resume? I ask this because principals I've talked to don't think much of subbing as experience that counts toward teaching.

:thanks:

3. myownwoman

myownwoman Habitué

Feb 17, 2010

Hi I am sorry that you are experiencing this. I hope things look up soon for you.

I am not familiar with Kelly Subs as I currently work in a school district.

4. hatima

hatima Devotee

Feb 17, 2010

Thank you, I'm planing for the worst. Right now it is an expected 3% cut to the budget, but it would make more sense to the district to layoff subs and ancillary teachers before classroom teachers. It hurts but I'm okay with loosing my job to keep a classroom teacher in his/hers.

5. myownwoman

myownwoman Habitué

Feb 17, 2010

You can begin applying to sub in some other districts, if that will work for you. I wish you all the best!

6. JackTrader

JackTrader Comrade

Feb 18, 2010

I've worked for Kelly Ed Services as a sub and it's been pretty good. Their pay rate will vary with the school in question, but it's pretty comparable to working with a district directly in my experience. Don't get much in terms of benefits though.

You do get paid a lot faster (the following week) vs. working with a district directly (often only 1x month). OTOH, working for Kelly you don't get the benefit of any STRS contributions.

I'd say if there's a school that you really want to work for which is served by Kelly, go for it. You'll make contacts and your reputation as a sub with the school, Kelly just does the admin work for them.

7. Special-t

Special-t Enthusiast

Feb 18, 2010

What do they consider experience that counts?

8. hatima

hatima Devotee

Feb 18, 2010

I've been subbing for three years, and I had principals look at my resume and say "Oh, subbing for three years doesn't count as experience teaching." I guess subs are largely seen as "babysiters" even those of us who bust or behinds to insure students are TAUGHT that day, or go in and prep activities because the teacher hasn't left plans for whatever reason. I know it isn't in the real grinding work of teaching, and not near the accountability. But, I've had principal after principal say, more teaching experience is needed, but how can a new teacher get this if they won't get hired as a teacher. So I'm guessing what principals really count as experience is when you are a/the teacher on record.

9. myownwoman

myownwoman Habitué

Feb 18, 2010

But how can you get 'real experience' teaching when you are a sub? Especially when you do not have the credential yet to apply for a teaching job.

Sounds like catch-22 to me.

10. MissSkippyjonJones

MissSkippyjonJones Comrade

Feb 18, 2010

On your resume do you just list that you were a sub and for how long, or do you list some of the things you have done as a sub. For example, do you list that you effectively follow the curriculum, implement effective classroom management, etc.? Also if you have completed any long term positions make sure you mention those and the things that you did during that time such as report card grades, conferences, etc. This will let the principal know that you didn't just come in and collect a paycheck for "babysitting." Your student or intern teaching assignments will also give you teaching experience that needs to be listed on the resume as well.

11. hatima

hatima Devotee

Feb 18, 2010

I do have my credentials!

In my description for a sub, and long-term subbing I list information about following the curriculum, and information about the times I've implemented my own classroom management program. But, most principals still act like that is babysitting, it is very stressful.

Jack Trader thanks for the info on Kelly. Here the district pays me biweekly, but no work no pay...is Kelly the same way or do they pay you something to retain you?

12. JackTrader

JackTrader Comrade

Feb 18, 2010

Kelly is the same way, no work, no pay, but they pay you the following week after your last workweek.

13. oldstudent

oldstudent Comrade

Feb 20, 2010

The districts have nothing to gain from laying off subs. We only get paid the days we work, so the districts can have 5,000 of us on call and it has no effect on their budget.
    Therefore, districts will stop hiring subs when no new ones are needed, but there is no point in laying us off.

It is true that principals do not value us. I have been subbing 13 years and have been fully credentialed for 4 1/2, but I rarely get an interview.
    I am basically waiting for a serendipitous experience.

I might investigate private schools, but I will probably change careers as I now approach my mid 50's.

Nevertheless, if you are young and bilingual, your day will come, you just have to be patient.

14. hatima

hatima Devotee

Feb 21, 2010

actually last year a district in New Mexico did lay off all subs, and used strictly in house coverage for teachers who were out...they even let late hire teachers go and collapsed their classes into other classes. It was really terrible.

The newspaper periodically has articles out about "how much subs cost the district." Subs cover for teacher leave--professional and personal. They also cover for teachers who have to use a sick day to complete testing and the sub is brought in as an aid for the day. Sometimes there is PD going on and a whole grade level is out..this adds up. There is already a shortage of subs in my district which is shocking because in past years there was way too many, especially last year. I can still see bureaucratic big wigs laying off subs even though most teachers do value subs and the work they do.

I'm not bilingual, but am young. (28 in April) I'm quite tired of the principals not wanting a young teacher...(but I've talked to people 20+ years having the same problems...I'm annoyed I might have to wait another 5 years, 32 seems a good age chance to be hired)

I'm applying for financial aid to go to grad school on Monday. I hope I get enough aid. The yearly tuition is more than I make in a year, but according to a "fin aid calculator" I should be able to afford nearly all of the tuition, really dumb, but I'll find out Monday if I can do it or not.

I've tried some private schools, but most are rarely hiring here. I was going to go on as a sub at a school this year but decided I couldn't afford a two dollar decrease in hourly pay...and it wasn't guaranteed work.

15. teresaglass

teresaglass Groupie

Feb 22, 2010

I worked forKelly and found their rates comparable with what school districts paid.