Keepnig track of homeowork

Discussion in 'Fifth Grade' started by LaurenNJ, Feb 5, 2009.

1. LaurenNJ

LaurenNJ Rookie

Feb 5, 2009

How does everyone keep track of homework? I do not want to necessarily grade it but I do want to see if they do it and make it a quiz grade at the end of the marking period (100 if they miss none, 95 if they miss one, etc.) I tried making an EXCEL sheet but there is not enough room to keep track of HW everyday. Thanks!

3. 100%Canadian

100%Canadian Companion

Feb 5, 2009

I have a laminated chart (like the ones you can buy at teacher stores, lots of rows and columns) that is posted at the front of the room. Each student's name is on it and whenever a HW assignment is incomplete, I record the subject and the date on the chart. After three strikes in a month, I write a note home; six strikes becomes a detention (rarely get to this); beyond that, I call the parents in. I don't use it for grading, but more as a tracking system for parents to see at interview time and for the "Learning Skills" section of our report card. I'm sure you could adapt the idea to your liking. It stays up all year long so you get to see how they've done over the course of the year.

4. stevesgirl

stevesgirl Companion

Feb 11, 2009

I use Snapgrades. They have a free version that I use exclusively for checking homework. I enter the assignments in the morning before school, then check them into the computer as they are received. You can either enter a grade or an "=" just to indicate it was received. Then you can print out a missing assignment report either for the whole class or for an individual child.

5. BioAngel

BioAngel Science Teacher - Grades 3-6

Feb 28, 2009

Not to side track the conversation but I'm having an issue about something. I have those row and column charts laminated already and I wanted to use them to track HW in my science class so kids can check regularly. However, I'm worried it'll those who have a major issue with missing homework feel really crappy since it'll be shown to the whole 5th grade.

Have you noticed any hurt feelings by using a posted system like that or am I just being over worried about feelings getting hurt?

6. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Feb 28, 2009

I wouldn't post something like this. It's not anyone's business except the students in question who are missing homework. In grade 2, I have kids sign my 'missing homework book'...after 4 missed homeworks, they get a note sent home which must be signed by a parent and returned. The report card will reflect for those who are habitual.

7. noreenk

noreenk Cohort

Apr 3, 2009

I made a table using Word that has all my students' names listed on the left with about 15 columns to the right. i have about 2 inches of space at the top to write the name/description of the homework assignment and date that it was due. i keep it blank except for a notation about the 9 weeks and just print out each week's table on a different colored sheet of paper so it's easy for me to spot. i really like this system because it's portable (we do lunch detention) and i have students initial any assignments that they do not have, so it's a great record to show parents over time.

8. 4inteacher

4inteacher Rookie

Jun 29, 2009

I see the point about not showing missing assignments to the whole class, but I had a problem last year with students not being reminded enough about missing assignments so they just begin piling up and piling up. I decided to keep track of the missing assignments in a section on the board which got to be too much to handle, but the kids enjoyed erasing their name from the board when they completed assignments. I'm looking for a better way to do this so kids don't get embarrassed but are also reminded enough about their missing assignments.

9. applejax544

applejax544 Rookie

Jul 5, 2009

At the end of each week, I use a separate section in my gradebook to check off all assignments for the week. Then, I use a standard Word Document that lists the student name, the missed assignments, and a spot for a student and parent signature. On Monday, the student gets the packet of missed homework from the previous week. They need to stay in for recess to complete the missed work, and what isn't finished goes home for completion and parent signature. This has worked really well for me this year!