Keeping up!

Discussion in 'General Education' started by dizzykates, Oct 26, 2008.

1. dizzykates

dizzykates Habitué

Oct 26, 2008

I know we often have the conversations about how we keep up with our day to day lives. Have you come up with anything new that is working well for you this year? My biggest thing has been that I have started cooking in batches and planning out our meals two weeks in advance.

I am still working to incorporate exercise into my day. I am not walking as much as I did for work and I am definately no longer walking to work. We don't have a gym pass and aren't getting one, but I do have a dance class each week, a yoga mat, and an exercise ball. I need to start using them.

How are you doing this year? We are two to three months in, what is working and what isn't?

3. catsos2

catsos2 Companion

Oct 26, 2008

I run in the mornings 3x per week before school or very early on Saturday. I get up at 5 - no one else is up to bother me and running is better than drinking a pot of coffee.

4. Crzy_ArtTeacher

Crzy_ArtTeacher Comrade

Nov 7, 2008

I say all the time that I'm going to get up early and run... but I like my bed more.

I wish I had that motivation, I am a runner and I know it does wonders to wake you up, I just like my sleep a bit more :)

5. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Nov 7, 2008

I walk with two other teachers at lunch- About 1.5 miles each day and then we get back to school with about 20 minutes left to eat something healthy! If I get a ride in on my stationary bike at night that's bonus...

I've been making lots of homemade soups, buying those salads in a bag- that makes lunch easy.

6. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Nov 7, 2008

I'm allowing myself to take the time to rest and it has helped quite a bit. I've said 'No' to an event for which I didn't have the energy - the world didn't end and admin even supported me. I get to school earlier than ever, but don't stay late in the afternoons. I traded morning duty for monitoring study hall one period a day. It is in my room, so I get a lot done during that time.

I wish I would take the time to bring lunch every single day - eating pizza two days a week is not a good thing.

7. love2teach

love2teach Enthusiast

Nov 7, 2008

HOLY COW...how long is your lunch?! I barely have time to eat neverless walk.....

8. Doug_HSTeach_07

Doug_HSTeach_07 Comrade

Nov 7, 2008

Great topic! I also like to run in the mornings. Lately I've been getting up at 5 to run on Monday, Wednesday and Friday. It is so awesome to finish running and just look at the stars as I cool down. I've gotta get my exercise done in the morning or it will never get done. And it gives me a HUGE burst of energy that just carries throughout the day- I'm stoked and feel like a million bucks!

I also tried the planning meals thing, but that fell through on Wednesday when I didn't have time to cook. I need to get back on that! If you don't plan to eat healthy, you have a hard time doing it.

Did anyone else figure, "well it's a new year, THIS is going to be the year that I don't have to spend much time outside of class preparing for lessons" like I did? I am in my second year and can't believe that it's been busier than my first.

9. Doug_HSTeach_07

Doug_HSTeach_07 Comrade

Nov 7, 2008

I agree with the other poster- you have a really long lunch! Must be nice! :)

10. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Nov 8, 2008

1 hour, duty free...they try and cut it every negotiations but we're hanging on....

11. maroki

maroki Comrade

Nov 8, 2008

I've starting writing out our weekly menu and doing one grocery shopping trip a week, with a list I made from our menu. On nights I know I'm going to be home late I plan something very simple for dinner (although we still eat fast food more than I'd like). We put all the leftovers into small containers that we can grab-and-go with for lunches the next day. (It is just me and my husband.)

I started arriving at school at 6:15 this year instead of 7:00 as I've done the past couple years. (School starts at 7:50.) I prepare everything for the following week on Thursday/Friday afternoons, so there is very little prep work during the day. I use literacy centers, so I only prepare those once every 5 days. I prepare all my math manipulatives, activities, lessons, etc. the week before and set them out on my counter for easy access and no prep during the week.

I keep an ongoing to do list on my desk, and write down anything (big or small) that I need to do. I cross it off as soon as I'm finished; even if it is small, it makes me feel accomplished! If an email comes in that I need to respond to or that requires an action on my part, I respond as soon as I can or do whatever needs to be done, and print a copy/delete the email so I know it is finished.

I don't exercise, although we are planning on starting back into our routine (from last year) soon; that is 3-4 nights a week and both weekend days. I work from home when I need to during the week, but I try not to bring home a lot of work on the weekends.

So far this year, I'm feeling accomplished and not behind on what I need to get done. In a couple of weeks I'll be teaching after-school program, which is 2 hours after school on Mondays, Tuesdays, and Thursdays...every week. I'll have to see how that affects my efficiency.