Keeping up with the Jones? or getting new ideas?

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by McKennaL, Oct 30, 2009.

1. McKennaL

McKennaL Groupie

Oct 30, 2009

Have you ever gone on-line and checked out the webpages of the teachers in area (highly-rated) schools...and then changed what YOU are doing to reflect or imitate them?

I look at the others and think - WOW! (then noticed that THEY are working with a full-day kindergarten, and we have the kids for only 2.5 hours).

But i would SURE LIKE to have enough time to do some of the wonderful things they are doing!!

3. Hoot Owl

Hoot Owl Aficionado

Oct 31, 2009

McKennal, what sites are you looking at?

4. McKennaL

McKennaL Groupie

Oct 31, 2009

Well, for example...

I am looking at a school that I am a sub for-but not the one I am working at currently (with my LTS). This school (one of the highest rated in the county) has really great and informative teacher webpages. I hope there isn't a problem with me giving out the links

K-2 building

http://www.sprague.district103.k12.il.us/Directory&WebPages.htm

3 & 4 building

http://www.halfday.district103.k12.il.us/staff+webpages.htm

5-8 building

http://www.daniel-wright.district103.k12.il.us/staff.htm

5. TeacherSandra

TeacherSandra Enthusiast

Oct 31, 2009

I'd love to have a sneak peek at what others are doing. How in the world do you access their webpages? :confused:

6. McKennaL

McKennaL Groupie

Oct 31, 2009

Just go to the school's website and look for their staff lists...if the teachers have webpages there should be SOME sort of a link to them.

(But i understand that in SOME schools that access miight be blocked to parents of those children only.)

7. McKennaL

McKennaL Groupie

Oct 31, 2009

When I mentioned this practice to a teacher i work with she seemed to disapprove. She asked, "WHAT DISTRICT?" and I told her the name and the town.

"OH! Well, it's __(town)___!" and she rolled her eyes to indicate that THAT is a wealthier neighborhood. But you know...wealthy isn't the issue on many of the ideas. It's teacher planning (and finding the time to DO it).

8. monsieurteacher

monsieurteacher Aficionado

Oct 31, 2009

The other grade three teacher has an amazing website... she can talk about all of her students, because they've come up with code names that only they know (stuff like "Hannah Cyrus" and "Cow Power"...) It's a great site, and I almost made one too, but I'm only going to have these kids until Christmas, so I didn't want to start that with them, and then have to take it away.

9. TeacherSandra

TeacherSandra Enthusiast

Oct 31, 2009

I tried...apparantly, the don't have a webpage? maybe it's accessible to those who are logged on somewhere.

10. Windy City

Windy City Companion

Oct 31, 2009

I looked at some of the pages from your links. The pages that they created are actually very simple to make. They are from a template that is in iWeb, software that comes with many Mac computers. The layout and design is already done. The only thing you have to do is put in your text and images. I do love the template that many (if not all) of them are using.

The nice thing about making a good web page is that you spend a lot of time on it at the beginning, and then you just need to update it every once in awhile. But the problem is finding the time to make it in the first place!

For a really great teacher page, check this one out:
    http://hill.troy.k12.mi.us/staff/bnewingham/myweb3/

11. TeacherSandra

TeacherSandra Enthusiast

Oct 31, 2009

that is nice! I accessed the STudent Council page (speeches) and I only had time to watch one; super!
    Looking at sites like these helps us to incorporate some awesome ideas.

12. tgim

tgim Habitué

Oct 31, 2009

How funny that you asked this question today! I was on Beth Newingham's site today and thought (again) WOW! I want to do this! I have a Mac, so maybe I need to check out the iWeb stuff and try it. The biggest inhibitor for me is TIME - I am in a new grade level and just trying to keep up w/ the curriculum is time-consuming enough. I worked w/ my team-mate all summer on getting ahead, but now we are working again to keep ahead. (Someone may ask what we are working on: study guides for SS and Sci, updated standards checklists, updated tests...English activities, phonics activities, etc. Yes, there are others in our district at our level willing to share, and some of the material is great - but some isn't quite what we want.)
    Maybe we can work on a website slowly and build it little-by-little; some of these sites are so impressive!!

13. McKennaL

McKennaL Groupie

Nov 1, 2009

No, I didn't really mean doing a web page... I was more referring to...

Ok... I am looking at this school and the pumpkin math they did in kindergarten. Our kindergarten didn't even have TIME to scoop out a pumpkin (though the preschoolers did...sadly no time to do anything BEYOND that)...but THIS school measured, and counted, and weighed, and floated, and, and, and...and I think,....sheeesh,. I wish WE did that!

(It's just I SAW the ideas on the web pages)

14. trayums

trayums Enthusiast

Nov 1, 2009

I am constantly doing the same thing. I question myself as a teacher because I see all the wonderful things on other people's websites. I always wonder if should keep up with them. I guess getting the ideas is great but feeling like I have to be WonderWoman is really hard!

15. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Nov 1, 2009

I think some of it is like those Christmas letters that we all laugh about at holiday time. You know the ones...."Johnny got his PhD in molecular biology, all before his 15th birthday..." type of stuff. While true, it always neglects to mention that Johnny also got arrested for stealing a neighbor's car and driving drunk.

What I mean to say is that those other websites showcase the best of what the teachers have to offer. They choose not to show all the things that didn't work out, or that they didn't have time for, or that simply aren't worthy of showing off. So use the ideas, but don't let them make you feel like any less of a teacher.

16. tgim

tgim Habitué

Nov 16, 2009

I would just like our website for my grade level to be more user-friendly and have timely information that parents can use.

17. Alegre

Alegre Rookie

Nov 21, 2009

Web pages not always useful *sigh*

I guess I was expecting those teachers' web pages to have more useful links or pictures with ideas of how they did all those 'great things'.

BUT what I did get from looking through those sites were similar thoughts: "I wish our school's web page was actually a useful tool with regularly up-dated useful information our teachers or parents could use to support the children in their learning." Instead it's got 'static' information that is very generic and not really 'parent friendly'.

The sad thing is that I started the web page but had to give it up because of the frustration and red-tape when they weren't letting me put in useful links that our school community could use. All we have are the typical sites that most of us would immediately recognize... and they've been there for several years.:unsure: