Keeping track of the writing process

Discussion in 'Fourth Grade' started by TXTeacher4, Aug 10, 2007.

1. TXTeacher4

TXTeacher4 Companion

Aug 10, 2007

I saw one of these in a catelog, and reading the writing binder thread made me think of doing my own. I am going to somehow make a poster for keeping track of the Writing process... Prewrite, rough draft, revise/edit, and final copy. I will give the kids a clothes pin and have them move it to whatever stage they are at, so I can see at a glance where everyone is. Do any of you do anything like this?

3. etcetera83

etcetera83 Cohort

Aug 10, 2007

I cut a writing process poster apart. It has five sections: prewriting, drafting, revising, editing, and publishing. My whiteboard is magnetic, so I put magnetic squares on the back of the sections and put them on the board. Then I got some small pencil cut-outs from Carson Delosa and put the student names on one side and a magnetic square on the other. This way the kids can move their pencil to wherever they are in the writing process and I can keep up with who is where.

Our faculty took a writing workshop class as part of professional development and an interactive writing process was a suggestion that a lot of us took.

4. MissFroggy

MissFroggy Aficionado

Aug 10, 2007

I made my own chart 2 years ago. I used envelopes, which I folded the pointy part behind the envelope so it made a little pocket. I wrote each part of the process on one envelope and glued it to a piece of poster board. Then I laminated the whole thing, and cut slits in the top of the envelope. The kids had clothes pins with their names on it, which they move throughout the writing process. I didn't do this last year, and should have... it was a good way to see where everyone was at. I will do it again this year.

5. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Aug 10, 2007

You can make individual 'mountains' from brown construction paper. Identify the stages of writing on labels or whatever you want. Print small mountain climbers and have the kids move their climbers up appropriately.

You could make a bulletin board and call it Write to the Top.

6. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Aug 10, 2007

I have a writing poster chart where the students can move their photos around. It's magnetic.

7. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Aug 10, 2007

Wow. I LOVE that idea. :)

8. WindyCityGal606

WindyCityGal606 Enthusiast

Nov 22, 2007

We glue two pocket folders togethr and label the front The Writing Process...then each pocket gets its own label...Prewriting, First Draft, Revision, Proofread.
    For each pocket, we also have a short list of what each of these means....a kind of how to list.
    The published piece is what they turn in so we don't have a pocket for it.
    It helps to keep the kids organized and they see that they must have something for each pocket.
    So often, they are reluctant to write something again, thinking once it's written, it's finished. This lets them see that it's expected that they'll have somethng to put in each pocket. Iy's good to write it over and make changes. That's part of the process.

9. MissFroggy

MissFroggy Aficionado

Nov 23, 2007

[​IMG]

This is what I made this year. I used clear CD coveres (soft plastic) and tongue depressers. I use the CD covers for all kinds of things, so they are a great thing to have. We move the tongue depressers along the process and it helps me see who is at what step, and perhaps how many conferences I need to do in a day.

10. Chrissy71

Chrissy71 Rookie

Nov 23, 2007

Miss Froggy, I love that idea. Where did you find the CD covers?

11. Miss W

Miss W Phenom

Nov 23, 2007

This is what I have, and I love it. It's $9.99 right now, but may be cheaper soon. I bought it at the beginning of the year on sale for $5.50.

12. MissFroggy

MissFroggy Aficionado

Nov 23, 2007

Staples has packages of the CD covers. They are made by memorex. I also use the CD covers for our editing and revising slips, attendance forms, and a few other things. I just staple them to the wall!