Keeping track of all those papers!

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by heavens54, Sep 1, 2014.

1. heavens54

heavens54 Connoisseur

Sep 1, 2014

Papers for the kids that need to go out, ones that have been turned in, important teacher papers, ones that need to be copied! Papers that need to be passed out on Thursday; papers everywhere here. How do you manage your papers? What's your system? HELP please.

3. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Sep 1, 2014

I have file folders for each student to put graded work and notes home (from the office or myself) to send home weekly. I have a little box with a handle, but I have used a crate before, too. That is where all of my 'outgoing' stuff goes.

Papers that have been turned in get paper clipped. I've done trays, accordion files, etc... It usually depends on what I am teaching.

Important papers (to keep and reference) usually get tucked into my gradebook or tacked to a bulletin board next to my desk. (I try to put my desk near a BB just for this purpose.)

For papers I will be using to go along with lessons (worksheets, tests, etc...) I have drawers that are labeled with the days of the week. In the past, I have used file folders and a desktop file folder holder.

I've never really needed a 'to copy' area. I usually run the copies for the whole unit at once. I guess when I find myself needing a random copy, I just leave it out on my desk.

Hopefully something sparks a solution for you!

4. mollydoll

mollydoll Connoisseur

Sep 1, 2014

I scan everything and toss/shred whatever I can. I wish I could go more paperless, but the students hate not having paper (that they dump on the floor!). I'm going to make more of an effort to try to nudge them further in the paperless direction this year. I'll still provide paper for anybody who has an accommodation or who requests paper.

I guess my system is just to do everything humanly possible not to let it accumulate. To this end, I keep all papers in one pile and deal with them all at once.

I keep extra copies in a binder filled with page protectors. Each protector holds about 20 sheets. If I run out of extra copies, the kids need to print their own off the class website.

For things I need to copy, I just paper clip them into the sketch pad I use for notes/ideas/planning.

5. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Sep 1, 2014

I did much like giraffe, with a few tweaks. I ran my copies weekly. Then I used stackable letter crates, one for each day of the week and place my copies there. Before I went home each night the copies would go on the right hand side of my desk, on top of any manuals that I would need. Lesson plans on the desk calendar.

I planned on Thursdays, copied on Fridays. I had a place on the shelf that I kept any copies that I would need to make. Or the books that I needed to take to the copy room.

Each child had a hanging file folder that parents were to check to get completed work.

The one thing that helped me the most was before grading I would put papers in alphabetical order. The hanging file folders were also alphabetical order. It was a breeze to file papers or have someone else file them for me.

6. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Sep 1, 2014

I do this, too! Recording grades is much easier, too!

7. readingrules12

readingrules12 Aficionado

Sep 1, 2014

Paper use to eat me alive. This is what has helped me a lot.

1. Mailboxes for students. Worth the cost. You can reuse them every year. All papers that go home go in the student's mailboxes. I have a tray to put all papers that need to go in mailboxes. I make sure they get sorted each day. Perfect job for a para or aide.

2. I have a set of baskets for each day of the week. When I make copies, I put the copies in the appropriate basket. i.e. Worksheets that are to be handed out on Tuesday go in Tuesday's basket, Friday's quizzes, in Friday's basket etc.

3. All originals are carefully filed in file folders in a file cabinet. Your filing cabinet should be very organized where items are easy to find. Binders or file folders can work (your preference).

4. All papers collected are paper clipped. No homeless papers. Each set of papers should have a home such as a "To correct basket".

5. I try to do as much on the computer to avoid extra paper.

***If you have a teacher's aide or para, let them help with organization. This can really help.

Good luck to you.

8. heavens54

heavens54 Connoisseur

Sep 1, 2014

What mailboxes work best? I've never used them. Will a crate with hanging file folders work as well.,

Also, some of you say that you all papers are paper clipped. How does this help you?

9. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Sep 1, 2014

You probably won't need mailboxes and a crate. I prefer the crate because it takes up less space, and is mobile. I did have mailboxes when we used a particular differentiated program to keep their assignments separated. I actually bought shoe boxes because they were cheaper and sturdier than the cardboard things.

Paper clipping makes sure papers don't get mixed up or lost. It also separates them a bit.

10. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Sep 1, 2014

I stacked two of these for mailboxes. This one is from Target and is $29.99. They must go on sale, because I know I did not spend close to $60 for the pair. Maybe $40. [​IMG]

11. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Sep 1, 2014

It keeps all of the like papers together. If I collect all of the papers at one time & clip them together I know if someone did not turn in a paper.

12. heavens54

heavens54 Connoisseur

Sep 1, 2014

OK. I paper clip everything. That's why I was confused. Thanks.

13. NewTeacherNJ

NewTeacherNJ Rookie

Sep 1, 2014

I actually bought a cheap drawer set on amazon. Its like a roll cart with 8 different color drawers. I labeled the drawers with each subject, even included project/art one, and thats where any lesson resources go. In my desk i set up a filing cabinet thing for each student and thats where i keep tests, behavior charts, notes from their parents, etc. In the other drawer i have other files like IEP, SGO, and each subject for master copy sheets.

I also have a thing on my desk with three shelves (one of those from an office store) and i tend to throw things i dont know what to do with on there (lol)

Any tests to be graded are always in the back of my gradebook. Tests that need to go home in the test folder are in a bin by the test folders so they can be passed out when ready.

14. readingrules12

readingrules12 Aficionado

Sep 1, 2014

As far as mailboxes, there are many choices out there. I use simple ones that I got from Office Max. I am still using them 20 years later. They cost me about $20 then, and I am guessing they would be $35-$40 today. I like them as students then can get "their mail" at the end of the day and the papers are gone. I don't spend a minute of time passing out papers during class. This is a great student job to have for that student who is always done early. If you have a lot of papers then have 2 students do this job.

Paperclips keep all the same papers together such as all the spelling tests to grade together. It makes it easier when there are no stray papers.

15. Rabbitt

Rabbitt Connoisseur

Sep 1, 2014

I also alphabetize, but by number. T he students add numbers to the right hand corner of a paper.

For copied papers, I paper clip them and put them into a box with a slot for each day of the week.

16. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Sep 1, 2014

In addition to the copied papers and mailbox ideas, I also use clipboards for my papers I have to use every day. I have to document attendance (even though it's in an online program), homework completion, and conduct so I have these forms on clipboards in a metal vertical file divider so I can just grab it and go.

17. Cobalt_Waves

Cobalt_Waves Rookie

Sep 2, 2014

I hate paper so much. I miss when I taught high school... I had all the students turn their work in online.

Instead of students turning in stray papers, I am going to always have them turn in duo tangs, except for tests.

18. kellzy

kellzy Comrade

Sep 2, 2014

I have a few of those plastic drawers you can pick up at Walmart for $10. I have a drawer for each day of the week, any paperwork that needs to go home with the kids I put in that day's drawer, anything that needs to be passed back that day goes in that drawer. While the kids are cleaning up, the drawer gets emptied, papers passed out and everything I didn't get to gets tossed in my emergency sub kit. There are two other drawers: "Copy" and "File" and that's self explanatory.
    I'm completely planned and copied for the next week before I go home on Friday-which sometimes makes for a really late Friday. But that way, I can get all of my grading done, and be on my way home within 15 minutes after the kids go home. I also have a rule about my desk being immaculate before I go home.
    Once you find a system that works, you won't spend tons of time organizing all of your paperwork.

19. Andrew

Andrew Rookie

Sep 3, 2014

I will Maintain Separate Files for Students.and for My self as a teacher..and in Addition i have a cupboard to keep them in order dated.

File the papers according to date.so it would be easier to access.