Keeping Track (K-12)

Discussion in 'General Education' started by LuminRabbit, Sep 12, 2021.

1. LuminRabbit

LuminRabbit New Member

Sep 12, 2021

What are some of the ways that you keep track of student progress and data:
    • keep track of assignments (and pre-assignments, turned in vs not received)
    • test scores
    • etc,
    Do you have a tracking system that works best for you?
    Do you use forms to make this easier (can you share examples)?

I appreciate any feedback to help me get organized! Thank you in advance.

3. miss-m

miss-m Devotee

Sep 12, 2021

I have a spreadsheet I made while student teaching that I've nearly perfected over the last 5 years. It has my roster and crucial student info, reading levels, MAP/test scores, and whatever other data I need to track at any given time. I also have checklists of standards for whatever grades I've taught (which I now no longer use since I've been adjusting my approach to standards, but that's a different topic) so I can reference those easily and check if students have demonstrated each skill or not.

For assignments.... my old school just had an online gradebook/attendance system and I never tracked anything beyond the grades the team decided to enter. I've never really bothered keeping track of lists of assignments/turned in/not received, whatever. It felt like unnecessary work for lower elementary.

4. creativemonster

creativemonster Comrade

Sep 12, 2021

My district uses an on line platform for grading and such and I use it for everything. Makes my life so much easier. Not every teacher uses it and our new principal nods her head yes, how wonderful, but never uses it - still for most stuff, it's all right there. See what your district gives you free and spend time getting to know it. Check with other teacers in your district for their best practices - probably no need to reinvent wheel.

MrTempest likes this.
  5. MrTempest

MrTempest Companion

Sep 14, 2021

[QUOTE=" probably no need to reinvent wheel.[/QUOTE]

On the flip side our school has plenty of online programs that can provide various insightful reports and they still want us to waste time manually putting numbers into some Word doc someone concocted in like 5 minutes 10 years ago.

creativemonster likes this.
  6. LuminRabbit

LuminRabbit New Member

Sep 14, 2021

Thank you all for the responses!
    @miss-m Id love to see your spreadsheet and appreciate the feedback.

@creativemonster I'll reach out to others and see what they have/use and that's a great idea to check with the district.

@MrTempest I know exactly what you mean before this in a previous job, I experienced somewhat of the same thing where we had to input data twice once for the system once for another group...

MrTempest likes this.
  7. miss-m

miss-m Devotee

Sep 14, 2021

@LuminRabbit Here's a screenshot of the version I've used most recently. The district I'm in now doesn't use Fountas & Pinnell so when I'm back in a classroom I'll have to rework that part, but this basic format served me well for a long time. The reading level/MAP score columns are all conditionally formatted based on level/percentile so when it's filled in, I can see really easily which students are above/at/below grade level at any given point. It also helps show growth or plateaus to address through the year.

Screen Shot 2021-09-14 at 4.13.15 PM.png

LuminRabbit likes this.
  8. creativemonster

creativemonster Comrade

Sep 14, 2021

On the flip side our school has plenty of online programs that can provide various insightful reports and they still want us to waste time manually putting numbers into some Word doc someone concocted in like 5 minutes 10 years ago.[/QUOTE]
    YEP! Our admin keeps using the big G (oogle) for every document, and then sharing her drive in a way that costs me about 15 minutes per doc to convert over to something I can use without everyone seeing my data. Annoying as can be and heaven forbid she take the ten minutes ONE TIME to learn how to use the platform our district gave us. I offered to walk her through the basics so many times that I know it annoys her, but she always claims to be "too busy." (her time apparently worth so much more than ours) ...sorry off topic rant. My district doesn't use resources well. And they don't train their admin to feel ok asking lowly teachers for assistance. ...sorry...long flippin day and this hit a frayed nerve.

MrTempest likes this.
  9. MrTempest

MrTempest Companion

Sep 16, 2021

@creativemonster I am taking a shot in the dark, but do you work in a non-union state?

10. creativemonster

creativemonster Comrade

Sep 16, 2021

STRONG union - New principal and I keep having to call her on stuff. I'm just cranky and at my school site a lot of teachers who expect me to be their voice. and so I come here to vent! And I was spoiled in years past as our last few principals were easy to work with and very pro union. This one is ...new.

11. LuminRabbit

LuminRabbit New Member

Sep 18, 2021

@miss-m
    Thank you so much for sharing! You are so very kind.

I have a background in application design (something I enjoy doing to release tension) maybe I'll use what you shared and everything I learned from here to create something that's more user friendly for ease of use in my spare time (as if anyone has spare time lol) or at least toy with the idea... maybe :grin:

12. LuminRabbit

LuminRabbit New Member

Sep 18, 2021

P.S. anyone know how to change the avatar? It keeps saying I don't have permission?