Keeping the Weight off as a Teacher

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out Archives' started by gmer22, Jul 21, 2007.

1. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Jul 23, 2007

see...we are both healthy! A few over or under is okay...anything like 30 over or under is a red flag.

2. noreenk

noreenk Cohort

Jul 27, 2007

I was quite disciplined about going to the gym (at night, so i could come home, shower, and pass out) my first year, but i've severely slacked off since. I've tried to avoid sodas and limit coffee, opting instead for diet (if i must!), water or those yogurt drinks. I am thoroughly grossed out by the super mega bags of Hot Cheetos my kids always bring (do other schools have this problem?), so I like to bring carrot sticks, pretzels, fruit, etc just so i can be a good role model. I almost always bring my own salad or veggie-rich pasta (there's another thread somewhere with lunch ideas) and I leave emergency sandwich fixins in my mini-fridge. And I have NEVER in my three years eaten school lunch! I'm fortunate that as long as I maintain a good diet, I don't gain weight, but if you need to exercise to maintain your weight try to find a buddy to keep you motivated! I'm sure there's at least another teacher or two at your school that has the same concerns.

3. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Jul 27, 2007

three words....walk, walk and walk

4. January_Violet

January_Violet Comrade

Jul 28, 2007

Hot Cheetoes are the rage. I almost like them now..they have been forced upon me.

5. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Jul 28, 2007

I told myself in January I would lose 20 pounds this year... and I lost 24. I haven't lost any more since May, but I haven't gained, either! I would say keep a photo of yourself to see where you perhaps feel/once felt uncomfortable. Also, I tried Weight Watchers chocolate coconut candy, and it tastes nearly the same as a "regular" piece of candy.

6. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Jul 28, 2007

I traded in my Snickers for Balance Carmel Nut Blast
    and Recees and Twix Bars for Quaker Oaks Carmel Rice Cakes.

If I gotta spend almost a dollar for a candy bar, it might as well double as a meal.

7. LMM

LMM New Member

Jul 29, 2007

I'm a 1st grade teacher and this will be my first year as well. When I did my student teaching I would get up and do my ab tape....short 5-8 minutes from The Firm series. I try to walk laps at recess and such. I suggest wearing a pedometer to see how much you have walked in a day. When I get home I either jog/walk 3 miles or do a firm tape. Some days it's harder to do but I always feel so good and it's my time to let the ideas fly. Try to keep going to the gym girl.
    I lost over 100 pounds with Weight Watchers a few years ago. I made a lifestyle change. No fast food, few carbs & sweets, plenty of exercise and vitamins. I stay away from the lounge goodies and I always bring my lunch. I actually inspired others during my student teaching and I made some great friends.....now coworkers.:D

8. WorldTraveler

WorldTraveler Rookie

Jul 30, 2007

I used to dance in high school and college, but stopped during student teaching because I didn't have time. Having a long commute and planning everything for the 1st time was time consuming! I actually lost 20lbs during ST because of stress and anxiety. I was 130lbs at 5'1'', pretty toned though.
    I plan to start exercising to handle my stress in a better way like I did in high school. Hopefully, I will be able to manage my time. I don't want to be anxious again like I was during ST, my stomach was constantly in knots!!!

9. 6ertchr

6ertchr Rookie

Jul 31, 2007

I agree with the other posters that recommend bringing your own lunch. Also, bring healthy snacks because somedays you'll need more energy than on other days.

I eat breakfast EVERY morning. I usually have granola or Special K with berries and a cup of coffee. I eat a healthy snack around 10 am. My lunch is balanced with either tofu, beans, or fish as the protein. The only meat I eat is seafood and Lean Cuisine makes a few good selections, but I usually bring leftovers, a mozzarella sandwich, or pasta salad. I drink plenty of water and LOVE Arizona green tea. I eat yogurt w/nuts and fruit as an afternoon snack. My dinner is balanced, like my lunch. I treat myself to a Chai Tea Latte at the end of the day (I buy the mix at Trader Joe's). Usually, I stay away from treats, but I allow myself something special now and again. It isn't good to totally deprive yourself of goodies.

In terms of exercise, I joined a gym that offers a good mixture of group exercises. I find that it's easier to fit in exercise when I am in a group situation. Yoga is wonderful because it's a healthy workout and a terrific way to relieve stress. Dancer's workouts are great for aerobic exercise and toning. The classes are in the evening, so I spend time with my family, work out, shower, and relax. Grading gets done early in the morning at school and on the weekends at home. Using this approach, I get in 4-5 days of exercise every week.

It took me a while to create a system that works for me. I hope that you'll find something that works for you as well.

10. Annie227

Annie227 Companion

Jul 31, 2007

I LOVE the lean cuisine rice bowls (fried rice and the teriyaki- although I can't find the teriyaki ones since I moved to VA). The lean cuisine pizzas are also good (french bread ones, round ones and the square ones). The weight watcher brand (Smart Ones) has great dessert!

I gained a lot of weight my first year teaching, but joined weight watchers my second year and lost all of it. I kept it off my 3rd year and joined Curves - went 3x a week. I gained about 8 pounds over the interviewing/relocating process, but have gone back on weight watchers (lost 3 pounds last week!). Weight watchers is great, because you plan out your meals ahead of time and bring your lunch already prepared to work. The leader of the meetings I used to go to was very strict about eating ALL of your points every day.

Last year I also started trying to be more active with my students - running around with them at recess and pe. (It was awesome because after losing 55 pounds I was actually able to do those things!!)