Keeping the Weight off as a Teacher

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out Archives' started by gmer22, Jul 21, 2007.

1. gmer22

gmer22 Rookie

Jul 21, 2007

I have to get this off my chest of my brain is going to start playing tricks on me. So since I was in my teens I have had a deep obession with my weight, I have become a gym addict and no matter how much I loose I seem to not get enough. So my question is what suggestions do you have to manage my time to go to the gym and keep a good diet when the school year starts. I am a first time teacher and have no idea how long my school days will be and how to keep a good diet. HELP HELP HELP!!!

3. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

Jul 21, 2007

Stay away from the hot lunches served at school. They are loaded with carbs and sugar. I don't go to the gym at all and pretty much ignore the fitness plan I always say I'll follow during the year, so I don't know how much help this will be, but I'd suggest getting a couple of fitness videos that you can do in about 30 minutes or so. That will save you drive time.

4. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Jul 21, 2007

I'm not good with weight myself, but one thing I have learned in teaching is this (esp if you are an elem teacher!): When the kids come in for birthdays, politely decline the cupcake. I swear some of my weight has been put on solely because I can't always follow my own advice!! :)

Also, some of our teachers bring sneakers to school so they can walk around the hallways during their lunch or prep time.

5. agdamity

agdamity Fanatic

Jul 21, 2007

For lunch, I pretty much eat either a lean cuisine or a weight watchers frozen meal. Find the varities that you like, and they are filling with not a whole lot of calories. Also, if going to the gym is a priority for you--schedule that time for yourself. It's soooo easy to neglect ourselves so that we can do stuff for the kids--but you have to take care of yourself too!

6. TeacherShelly

TeacherShelly Aficionado

Jul 21, 2007

GMER, visit your physician. Find out if you have a realistic impression of your health and weight. A couple things in your post hint at body image issues. If you have any history of weight disorders they might get stirred up by the stress of a new job.

7. SpecialPreskoo

SpecialPreskoo Moderator

Jul 21, 2007

Tell me about the lunches! I went to an autism training this past week at Glenwood in Birmingham. Now THAT place has GREAT lunches!!!! Oh lordy, I don't know how you could diet with their meals. They were GOOOOOOD!! Philly cheese steak, grilled chicken, hearty gumbo! It was well proportioned but filling! They had salad, fresh fruit, etc. YUMMY! For the students that have diet restrictions, they do take care of that for them.

I avoid our school lunches for the most part. With the new regs, they aren't that appetizing. I wish they could learn some tricks from Glenwood! I hate to spend $2.25 for our lunches (I usually just buy the meat item) but I would if they were like Glenwood's!

We have a track that we walk around on good days after the kids leave. I might try going during the PE break if we still have it in the AM so it will be cooler.

8. bettyb

bettyb Companion

Jul 21, 2007

Always take your lunch to school. Don't eat the donuts at the faculty meetings, and don't eat all of the stale food left around in the teacher's lounge. Plan exercise times for yourself and leave school on time for those days. For some reason, teachers seem to think that they have to stay at school until the cows come home. This is not true. Take care of yourself. If you are healthy and happy, you will have more energy during the school day.

9. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Jul 21, 2007

All of the above! Continue to eat healthy, despite the dumb looks you will get. Carry water everywhere! And resist the temptation to bring home or even taste goodies that parents and teachers bring for parties. Say thank you, and stick it on your desk! I have even resorted to re-gifting treats! I take them all and sit 'em on the table in the teacher's lounge!

Keep sugar-free mints and/or gum handy. When everyone is gorging themselves in the staff meeting, sip water, and chew. you won't look anti-social...because nobody will realize you aren't chewing food.

make a plate, don't touch it.
    Don't ever tell anyone you are on a diet, or have allergies..
    this does not work-don't ask why..don't argue
    Do tell them your doctor says____....fill in blank
    cholesterol, blood pressue, diabetes..just don't get carried away..

offer to run and make copies, answer the phone, bring your copy of the meeting minutes...stalls for time...more food will be eaten

go to the party, but don't eat...
    practice these lines...
    I'm having dinner with friends/hubby/family
    I have a big test tonight
    You mind if I just take a plate?

you get the picture...

10. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Jul 21, 2007

I agree with the others to definitely bring lunch and lots of water to drink (although sometimes it's hard to get to the restroom after all that water).

I go to the gym in the morning before school. It's a lot less crowded than afterschool and sometimes at the end of the day I just don't have the energy and end up skipping the workout. Besides if I am getting up that early to haul it to the gym, you better believe it's easier to turn down any temptation during the day-it just doesn't seem worth it.

11. jenglish97

jenglish97 Devotee

Jul 21, 2007

I have to say that I do better maintaining my weight when I am working. During the summer is very hard since I am home laying by the pool or at the beach or going to a picnic or party.

I think after you get a routine, you will be fine.

Definitely follow the comments above. Also during the school day, I eat mini-meals, small breakfast @ 7, snack @10:30, lunch @12:15, afternoon snack @3:30 or 4, and then dinner by 6:30 or 7. I have to say I do better with mini-meals.

12. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Jul 21, 2007

I used to go to the gym when it opened. I arrived at 5:15 and was out by 6:30am. Than made it to work by 8am.

13. Christine3

Christine3 Cohort

Jul 21, 2007

I have a family membership at our local gym. My husband is very dedicated and my kids love going there to swim,play
    basketball and such...but I really don't go that much. Once every 2 weeks I will put the kids in the daycare there and go. I would NEVER be able to go before a full day of teaching. That is pushing it for me!

One of my friends is on the weight watchers program...would you be interested in trying that out? Google it and let me know ;) Hang in there you WILL find something that works.

14. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Jul 21, 2007

oh..and don't be a weekend warrior! You know, go to the gym once..and never again until Christmas break! I have free membership as a grad student. I went to the gym one day, two months ago!

I tell you, I must have climbed on every machine in that place. Pulled a muscle in my hip, thought I would die! Just now starting to feel better!

keep up excersice, walk around school, park further away and walk to car..walk on weekends...

but make sure you warm up, listen to your body..and don't over do it!! :(

15. Starista

Starista Cohort

Jul 22, 2007

One thing that helps me is exercising BEFORE work. I know it's ridiculously early but by the time I get home from work I'm too darn tired to go for a run, or pop in that video. Hope this helps!

16. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Jul 22, 2007

I'm with you. I do it before or not at all. Now I have to find a gym close enough to join.

17. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jul 22, 2007

That was my impression too. Phrases like "deep obsession" and the fact that you cannot seem to lose enough weight don't sound healthy to me.

See a doctor and talk about it. If nothing else, find out how NOT to send these messages to the kids you'll be teaching.

18. ValinFW

ValinFW Comrade

Jul 22, 2007

Ditto!
    I did buy one of those stability balls a couple summers ago. I have a few dvd's that I use with it. A couple of them are only 20-205 minutes long, so I don't have to get up super-early, unless I plan to go for a run.
    Also, what everyone else has said about school lunches is the absolute truth! Steer clear!

19. Christine3

Christine3 Cohort

Jul 22, 2007

I guess everyone is different, I like to work out at night to relieve all my stress from the day!

20. Bitsy Griffin

Bitsy Griffin Companion

Jul 22, 2007

I'll chime in with the don't eat the school lunches. BUT I wouldn't buy anything from school. Plan ahead and make sure what you bring is healthy. I'm a brown rice fanatic. It's boring, but good for you. I bring brown rice and a veggie five days a week. I've been at the same weight for years (that's after I gained and had to lose 50 lbs -- which was the hardest thing I ever had to do!) Drinking enough during the day is essential to. I don't eat any sweets. I won't eat any thing the kids bring me. I stay clear of when they bring the teachers treats. If something is brought to my room, I say thanks and bring it home and give it away (or it goes into the can).

21. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Jul 22, 2007

I eat yogurt every day for lunch and usually some crackers. Last year I made the mistake of eating the dessert the cook made almost everyday. I gained 10 pounds. I have lost it all this summer with waitressing.
    But this year I am going to make sure to not eat all that junk food!

22. ValinFW

ValinFW Comrade

Jul 22, 2007

For a while, I drank one of those yogurt drinks for breakfast and ate yogurt and pretzels for lunch. I had no trouble with weight gain when I was doing that. Why did I stop??????

23. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jul 22, 2007

Go ahead and schedule an appointment with your doctor to rule out an eating disorder.

24. bettyb

bettyb Companion

Jul 22, 2007

I started working out years ago when a friend talked me into it. At first, I told her I couldn't because I was too busy grading papers, attending conferences, etc. She talked me into taking time for myself. It has so been worth it. I am stronger now than I was ten years ago. It has to become a habit to work out. Whatever time works best for you, just stick with it. I agree that a visit to the doctor first is a great idea.

25. gmer22

gmer22 Rookie

Jul 22, 2007

Thanks for all the great great advice guys. As for the eating disorder thank you for your worry. The truth is I had an eating disorder back when I was in my teens...I went through a hard time getting over it but I am over it I had a lot of help from my family and fiancee. And of course God. I am good now it is just that I really do have to go to the gym if not I start obsessing. And I don't keep such a strict diet just balanced. A lot of water...never skip breakfast a yogurt...fruit or cereal, then I have a quick snack at 10:30 and a balanced lunch (fruit, vegies, chicken or fish...rarely red meat), then I won't have dinner past 7 and it will be cereal or a yogurt. That keeps me sane and feeling good.

Thank you for the support and I will sure steer clear of that school food. Anyone know which are the good tasting lean cuisines and weight watchers?

26. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Jul 22, 2007

I just can't get motivated to work out! I've bought the balance ball & video, don't use it. Bought an ipod, downloaded a book on it, my plan was to walk the dog, she needs it. I let the ipod lose all of it's batteries, lost the book that was on it! So I gave up. Poor puppy, she'd love the walk. Got to get motivated.

27. WindyCityGal606

WindyCityGal606 Enthusiast

Jul 22, 2007

I have to go to the gym after work around 4-5 because I already get up at 5 to get my daughter to school by 7, Our drive is 30 minutes. My gym doesn't open until 5:30 so, as much as I'l like to, I can't go before work. This is goood for me though because when I would go home and start puttering around right after work, I would do all of my overeating for the day. This way, I get home after having worked out, my metabolism is way up there and I can have a sensible dinner and be done with eating for the day. I need to lose 40 lbs by next summer and I WILL!!
    I plan to take a gallon of my skim milk, a box of low fat granola, some fruit, and bottled water to keep in the fridge in the teacher's lounge. People are very polite and don't take anyone's food. I may trhow some lean cuisines in the freezer too. That way, I have no excuse to eat things I shouldn't. I'll keep perishables in my cabinet upstairs for snacks. Unfortunately, I'm not a meal eater...I'm a snacker!

28. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Jul 22, 2007

Oh, I did miss that...

also the HELP, HELP, HELP! part... :(

Gmer...

inquiry minds want to know..
    how old are you?
    how much do you weigh now?
    what do you feel is your target/ideal weight?
    Do you equate perfect weight with perfection??

Hmmmm?

Some people are a little overweight, but are perfectly healthy. If you get dr to check you out, and all labs are good, relax...

Being healthy is more important than being a size 6.

Happy to be size 8-10-12, depending on whatever it is I pull over or into!

29. stlchica

stlchica Rookie

Jul 22, 2007

Weight Watchers Rocks!

Honestly, I don't prefer Lean Cuisine. I absolutely love Weight Watchers' foods. I like all of the breakfast, entrees, and desserts (especially the Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough and the Strawberry Cheesecake). How do you feel about Green Tea? I put those packets of Lipton Green Tea in my water. The citrus flavor is my favorite! It will boost your metabolism and pull that extra water off of you (make sure you're not taking any meds that may interfere with the tea). Try a good digestive system cleanser (from a reputable health food store) and take Fish Oil and B-complex. Let me know how that works!:)

30. gmer22

gmer22 Rookie

Jul 22, 2007

Thanks for the heads up. I love the green tea but I have not tired the packets. Are they good? I usually just drink the arizona green tea or the brewed one from the packets. I drink a lot of water though. And I will definitely try the weight watchers...I drink their yogurts and they are pretty good. What kind of cleanser do you suggest?

31. gmer22

gmer22 Rookie

Jul 22, 2007

Master Pre-K about the inquiry....

I am 23...125lbs....want to be at 115-118lbs....and I want to do it because I want to be healthy. I freak out about cardio vascular disease because of body fat %....I worry about not staying in shape and not being able to keep up with the kids....but I don' t think I am unhealthy. I understand the worry but I don't starve myself I really eat a balanced diet. But thank you so much for your help and worry:)

32. stlchica

stlchica Rookie

Jul 22, 2007

Cleanser

I like Renew Life (www.renewlife.com). It has some general stuff and some targeted ones (i.e. liver). I've done the First, Advanced, and now I'm on the Kidney one. It's wonderful! I have not had ANY side effects, just feeling better and less sluggish. In addition, I have been able to drop more weight (all those toxins are leaving my body). Again, I would recommend visiting your local health food store. They should care all of the parts of this line. Let me know how it goes!:D

33. FarFromHome

FarFromHome Connoisseur

Jul 22, 2007

I do Weight Watchers. I've lost 70-80 pounds. If you're committed, it's easy to do. You just have to make time for exercise. You're not going to be at school the entire day, and I've always found that exercise is a great stress reliever. I would also do like many have suggested and bring your own lunch to school. Then just try to stay out of the staff room if they bring tons of snacks like they did where I student taught!

34. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Jul 22, 2007

Hmmm. I was 115-118 from the time I was 18 until 2 years ago. I am 48, and now weigh 130, and actually feel great. The first and only time I weighed this much is when I was 9 months pregnant! Next day, 102. All baby. She is, by the way 110 lbs, and 24.

Thing is, we are both 5-2. I am the smallest in my family, and so is her dad. My mom was tiny for years, until she turned 40. (ex is also very huge..) I guess this is just my time now.

If you check your BMI..body mass index, and your height is not more than 5-6, you will see you are doing just fine...

but..thats Just my opinion.

and, unless your parents both have high cholesterol, or heart disease, and you are eating, sleeping and breathing french fries...don't worry about cardio-vascular disease..yet.

again...I am working on my M.A., not M.D.

:)

35. FarFromHome

FarFromHome Connoisseur

Jul 23, 2007

Master Pre-K--130 pounds when you were pregnant??? Lol, I'm 5'9" so I would look anorexic if I weighed 130 pounds. Height plays so much into weight and I think a lot of people don't realize that. My sister, who's 5'7" used to think she should weigh 110 pounds. You just don't weigh that little when you're tall!

36. Amers

Amers Cohort

Jul 23, 2007

Wow. This is an interesting thread to me. I was (so I'm told) anorexic in HS. In hindsight, however, I think I was actually a binge-eater. I pigged out regularly, but after that, I would eat next to nothing. Either way, since I've met my fiance (5+ years ago), I learned to eat in front of people. I've gained about 50 pounds. Actually, I need to lose a little wait to be healthy now. Since I'm getting married in May, I want to lose around 30 lbs. I've lost 5 so far.

My advice to the OP, as others said, don't eat school food. Just make sure you make time to exercise after (of before, whatever works best for you) school. Also, as a past anorexic, eating yogurt for dinner sounds a bit small to me. I understand you are eating a "meatier" lunch, but how hungry do you feel at night? Do you have a snack between lunch and dinner? You might have said that already, but I don't remember, sorry.

37. Amers

Amers Cohort

Jul 23, 2007

Also, like FarFromHome said, height plays a huge role. At 5'7, I would love to be 115 lbs again, but I'm fairly certain that's not healthy. Your weight should balance your height.

38. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jul 23, 2007

I've taught a number of kids who had eating disorders. One, this year, missed 6 weeks while at a treatment center. Shortly after she arrived back at school she fractured her ankle while walking; I'm guessing her bones were just too brittle.

A second has missed school for each of the past few years while trying one treatment center or another.

We lost a third to the disorder many years ago. She was on my speech team. In fact, she wrote a speech about eating disorders and how she, too, was "over it."

I'm not a trained health care professional, just a concerned outsider. The words in your post do NOT indicate that you are "over it." I'm not sure that anyone gets "over it", particularly without help from trained professionals, and you didn't mention working with any of those. (We're complete strangers, yet a number of us were able to see a problem from your short intro post.)

People who are "over" eating disorders don't say (or think) things like this: "I have to get this off my chest of my brain is going to start playing tricks on me. I have had a deep obession with my weight, I have become a gym addict and no matter how much I loose I seem to not get enough." Re-read those words... those are NOT the words of someone who is interested in becoming healthier or trying to lose the 7 or 8 pounds you speak of later.

You absolutely should be working with a nutritionist. He or she should be helping you moniter your weight, not people unfamiliar with your disorder or your case history.

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE-- speak to your doctor and nutritionist. Make that the MOST IMPORTANT thing you do to prepare yourself for your new career. Also, speak to him or her about how you can speak to your students in phrasing that doesn't feed into some of their own struggles with similar issues.

We recently lost a member here due to a car accident. We would hate to lose you to an eating disorder.

39. GardenDove

GardenDove Habitué

Jul 23, 2007

I want to chime in regarding keeping an eye on what the OP termed "obsession" with exersise. It sounds like she is a healthy weight at the moment, but eating disorders don't just "go away". Patients can relapse at any time. In fact, the stress of starting a new job might trigger it, just as it can cause an alcoholic to drink or a smoker to light up.

I'm not an expert in this, but we have had some patients in our hospital with anorexia and/or bulimia. We had one woman in for a couple of weeks for nutritional support before she went to an inpatient treatment facility. This meant tube feeding. We were also to monitor her obsessive need to exersise. This woman was in her late forties, had a husband, and had dealt with this disease on and off for years. It was very sad, it takes hold of one's mind and life. She was a manipulative and one-dimensional personality who had no interest in any other aspect of life any more.

I hope that the OP continues to get support for her eating disorder to avoid any relapses.

40. reverie

reverie Companion

Jul 23, 2007

125lbs is a perfectly healthy weight. I would recommend drinking more water (if you don't already) and just make sure you have time to exercise occasionally.

41. January_Violet

January_Violet Comrade

Jul 23, 2007

Ditto..