Keeping the same preschool class until Kindergarten......

Discussion in 'Preschool' started by Bella624, Apr 9, 2008.

1. Bella624

Bella624 New Member

Apr 9, 2008

I work in a preschool special education program from a public school district. We have over 4 classrooms in the district. Our age ranges from 3-5yrs old mixed in with both classes. I was wondering what other people's opinions are for keeping the students with the same class and the same teacher until they reach Kindergarten, where they wil go to their neighborhood school with new friends and a new teacher....or people's opinions on having a new set of preschoolers each year, and assigning the returning preschoolers to another preschool teacher in the program???
    In the past we have strongly believed in having the students move to a new classroom at the end of the year, in order to help the kids transition into kindergarten by getting used to new adults and new friends.....does anyone know of any research on this kind of retention good or bad results??? Of course we looked at each student individually and there are some students that benefit from staying in the same class during their preschool career and some that don't
    please help, i need your opinions....and fast!

3. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Apr 9, 2008

I don't know but I'm a product of the same 2 teachers and the same students for K-3rd.

I do know sometimes having the same students go from grade to grade isn't always the best because they start acting more like brothers and sisters bickering all the time. The dynamics are different. Perhaps they can be really close but the social issues can be different too.

4. bcblue

bcblue Comrade

Apr 9, 2008

We're a public school preschool, and most of our classes have many students on IEPs, with the range from moderate to rather severe disabilities. Many of the kids with special needs NEED the same teacher for a couple of years--I know I'm not nearly ready to pass my crew on, and I'm glad I"ll be keeping most of them through next year. We have work to do yet, and it can take awhile to get adjusted student to class, student to teacher, etc. I've always been a fan of the 2-year set up. But I don't know the research. cutNglue has a point about the social dynamic can cause issues, I think for that it depends on the students themselves and their needs and personalities. We tend to move kids on a more as-needed basis in my building.

5. Bella624

Bella624 New Member

Apr 10, 2008

thanks for your reply...i also agree it should be on an as-needed basis, and there are many kids that we keep for another year because they are just getting adjusted and need some more time.
    I also find that some kids are bored at the end of the school year and need a new learning environment.
    Thanks for your help...still need research!

6. moonbeamsinajar

moonbeamsinajar Habitué

Apr 10, 2008

I don't know about the research, but I have a couple of bad combinations in my preschool class this year that I would not wish on any kindergarten teacher! Sometimes the few who cannot get along would be better off being split up, for everyone's sanity!