Keeping Teens Entertained for free

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Sheila, Jun 21, 2012.

1. Sheila

Sheila Comrade

Jun 21, 2012

I am going to be watching my neice for a few weeks. Any ideas what I can do with her and my 14 year old son who has sensory issues? We can't do theme parks or the beach because of my son.
    Their tastes are vastly different. He is a tv and movie guy and she likes crafts. They will compromise some but I would like to do some things together.
    We do play dice games and board games. If it were young primary kids no prob...my area of choice! Just looking for some out of the box ideas that don't cost anything.

3. bros

bros Phenom

Jun 22, 2012

What other interests do they have?

How major are his sensory issues? Is he hypersensitive to sound or other things? Geocaching might be something to look into (at least the less difficult caches) to occupy yourselves for a day or two

4. Missy

Missy Aficionado

Jun 22, 2012

How old is your niece?

5. Sheila

Sheila Comrade

Jun 22, 2012

He does not do well with loud sounds or very bright lights. The beach is a no go because of sand and water. Never heard of geocoaching. I will look into that.
    He is 14 but maturity wise about 12. She is 12.

6. Missy

Missy Aficionado

Jun 22, 2012

How about bowling or putt-putt? My kids also went through a phase where they liked to try cooking and baking.

Do you have a friend with a teen daughter where your niece might get a chance to go to the beach a few times?

7. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Jun 22, 2012

My sister is 12 and will be staying with me a lot this summer. Here are some things we will do - maybe some will work for you.

She is an adventurous eater, so we usually try something new when she is here - we will probably try Indian this time.

I think we are going to a dinner theatre one day.

We have caverns near us and they also have a panning for gold area - she liked that alot.

mini golf

baking and cooking and going to the farmer's market.

Science center, Hershey's chocolate world

Go to a movie or rent one/dvr one to watch at home. (If you have a DVR you could even start searching for stuff and save it now).

Take walks, go to the park.

Does your niece have siblings? I know one time when my sister came, she just asked to be able to sit in her 'room" and read for a couple hours. She just likes being here because no one is picking on her or nagging her to do chores. She said it's peaceful. lol.

8. bros

bros Phenom

Jun 23, 2012

Okay, so movie theater is out, and obviously anything that can be overstimulating auditory wise i.e. places with a lot of people

Geocaching is essentially GPS treasure hunting. If both of them are okay with a walk in the woods to find a hidden box and sign a log book (with whatever username you make on the site) and if you bring something, you can take something from the cache you can do that (If you have a smartphone or a GPS, that is)

9. Blue

Blue Aficionado

Jun 23, 2012

Hiking? Our parks have guided walks of areas. They even rent canoes.