Keeping shoes on...

Discussion in 'Special Education' started by Preschool0929, Dec 22, 2014.

1. Preschool0929

Preschool0929 Cohort

Dec 22, 2014

I have a 4 year old student with autism in my spec. ed. preschool class. She's nonverbal and can be extremely violent towards others (mostly staff). Although we were making progress with PECS and her work system, she has make some steps backwards and for the past 3-4 weeks has spent almost the entire day screaming. She can come in smiling and jumping, and then all of a sudden fall to the floor in a tantrum that can last for hours. Her new behavior is to take off her shoes and socks when mad. The second she gets upset, she takes them off, and it's almost impossible to get them back on her. Her ABA therapist suggested that we "block" her from taking them off, which is almost impossible. Now that it's winter break, I have some time to think about a plan, and also told her parents that i would come up with a plan so that she wouldn't walk to the car barefoot at the end of the day anymore :blush:

Any ideas for helping to keep her shoes on her feet, or protocols for what to do when she takes them off?

3. Leatherette

Leatherette Comrade

Dec 23, 2014

Could her parents put shoes that lace up on her in the morning and double tie them? She is letting them put them on her in the morning....

4. bros

bros Phenom

Dec 23, 2014

Guessing her motor skills aren't the best - perhaps just make it too much of a challenge for her to remove? Have her parents get her shoes that lace and then double knot them every morning.

5. SpecialPreskoo

SpecialPreskoo Moderator

Dec 23, 2014

It may take lace up high tops in order for them to stay on if she is able to kick them off. Been there, done that.