Keeping School Worries at School

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Ms.H, Feb 9, 2011.

1. Ms.H

Ms.H Companion

Feb 9, 2011

I've been really struggling with carrying over worries and concerns from school into the rest of my life. I worry that the test I gave today was too hard. I worry that I was too harsh in correcting a student behavior. I worry that I didn't explain something well enough or that a certain lesson was painfully boring.

Sometimes they are things I can fix the next day, and sometimes they aren't, but I have been leaving school almost every day with one thing or another weighing heavily on my mind. Sometimes it's so bad that I can't fully enjoy time with my fiance or friends-- I feel like I don't deserve to enjoy other things because I'm not doing my job well enough (I know it's irrational, but I get a strong feeling of guilt that I can't shake off whenever I feel that I've made a mistake). I even have dreams about the things I'm worried about-- I dream that my kids walk out while I'm teaching, that I lose it and yell at my classes, etc.

It seems like teaching puts me on a roller coaster-- when I feel like I'm on top of my school work and that I was patient, helpful, and effective as a teacher that day, I'm generally happy, but a bad class period, a student or parent complaint, or some other percieved failure can cast a shadow over my whole day or week.

It's been like this for most of my five years of teaching, but I'm especially noticing it now becuase I'm enjoying being engaged, planning a wedding, and all that comes with it, but the happier my personal life gets, the more noticable it is when school guilt and worry follow me home.

Oh dear, this got long. Thanks to anyone who finished it. I guess my questions are, is this common? Is it preventable?

Thanks for any thoughts you have to offer.

3. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Feb 9, 2011

When I have a particularly rough day or situation, I journal before I leave work. I leave all of it at work in my journal. The next day, I can read my journal and remind me of my worry. I can tear up the page if it isn't important, file it if I might want to reference it later, or come up with a plan of attack. It's always easier to make this decision after some time and a good night's rest!

4. SwOcean Gal

SwOcean Gal Devotee

Feb 9, 2011

Wow! Mopar that is a great idea.

5. webmistress

webmistress Devotee

Feb 9, 2011

Mopar always offers great suggestions. :thumb:

6. callmebob

callmebob Enthusiast

Feb 9, 2011

There is always another alternative that is quite useful when you are that stressed out about work....take a seat on the couch with a drink after work.
    I try my best to leave things at work, does not always happen. The goal when I get home though is to relax and forget all about it, lose myself in whatever I am doing at home. I can't stop the dreams that happen about stressful on the job situations, but a drink sure can help curve what you are/are not stressing about when you get home.

7. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Feb 10, 2011

Sometimes when it gets too much, try the gym. If you get in a hard workout right after school, you tend to forget all your school troubles.

8. Sshintaku

Sshintaku Comrade

Feb 10, 2011

I second the gym thing. I was super stressed earlier this year too, and I also took up yoga, which has helped a lot too.

Or, if all else fails, a glass of wine on the couch! :)

9. CindyBlue

CindyBlue Cohort

Feb 10, 2011

I second both the gym and the drink ideas. I do either/both, depending on my time and schedule.
    The thing that works best for me when things are really bad is to play tennis against a wall. I am not very good at accuracy unless I pay very close attention, so I have to really concentrate in order to be able to hit the ball so I can return it to myself. That concentration means I have to NOT think about my problems/worries in order to hit the ball accurately, which makes me feel as if I've had some space from my troubles. It also helps when I can get focused enough to hit the ball really hard (smile!)
    Then I go home and have a nice glass of wine...