keeping order in line

Discussion in 'Preschool' started by shaggymo, Dec 18, 2008.

1. shaggymo

shaggymo Rookie

Dec 18, 2008

Does anyone have any good suggestions for keeping kids quiet in line while waiting for the bathroom? I try to remember to do fingerplays, but sometimes my mind just draws a blank. This transition is the worst part of my day, as the kids sometimes start running around the hallway, getting silly and just antsy.
    Any ideas?

3. PennStateCutie

PennStateCutie Companion

Dec 18, 2008

I do "tell me, whose name rhymes with _______?" or "whose name starts with the same sound as _____?" Sometimes we play "Do What I do" where they just sit and watch me and mimic me as I put my fingers on my nose, pat my lap, clap my hands, etc.

4. Prekfreak

Prekfreak Rookie

Dec 18, 2008

I have alphabet flash cards that we do all sorts of stuff with: letter, sounds, starts with, etc. We also play the quiet game.

5. Blue

Blue Aficionado

Dec 18, 2008

Don't you just hate the standing in line concept?

6. WaProvider

WaProvider Fanatic

Dec 18, 2008

We don't really wait in a line. When we have to wait, like at a bus stop or something we do lots of things. Sometimes I read a book out loud and count it as an extension of circle. Sometimes we play number games, sometimes we sing and sign, sometimes we do number rhymes. I actually spend a large part of my day making plans for all the 100 transitions in a given day. for instance, out of circle, into wash line, washing, choosing of the next person, exit wash line, enter table to eat and so on. Millions of them a day.

7. Maxadoodle

Maxadoodle Comrade

Dec 19, 2008

When I was new and would draw a blank on fingerplays and songs, I would keep a list in my pocket. This way, we did more than the usual few. You could also add other transition ideas to your list that others mention.

8. MimiBee

MimiBee Companion

Dec 19, 2008

I prefer duct tape and a good strong rope. ;)

9. WaProvider

WaProvider Fanatic

Dec 19, 2008

In Wa. there was a teacher w/education that used duct tape to tape a childs hands together when they wouldn't listen!

10. PennStateCutie

PennStateCutie Companion

Dec 19, 2008

:eek:hmy: what happened to the teacher? I used to JOKINGLY say (in my first year of teaching, when coincidentally, I had the worst class of my lifetime) that all of my classroom management problems could easily be solved with a muzzle and a straight jacket...of course I only said that to my co-workers and I was absolutely JOKING (well, mostly lol)...but seriously? wow!

11. mrgrinch09

mrgrinch09 Comrade

12. WaProvider

WaProvider Fanatic

Dec 19, 2008

Seriously. She was obviously fired. Her program had a CPS check. She was found to not have violated child abuse regulations (how I don't know) but the site was found the have abused the child interaction/relation rule. So they site carried the violation the record - not the person. She is now, working in a family home program in the same area w/o any issues stemming from the incident!!:(:(:dizzy:

13. Dzenna

Dzenna Groupie

Dec 20, 2008

14. Blue

Blue Aficionado

Dec 21, 2008

I terminated a staff member for striking a child. She got unemployment, because "it was an isolated incident, and she used poor judgement." But CCD said I had to let her go as she broke the law. Makes sense?

15. WaProvider

WaProvider Fanatic

Dec 22, 2008

It is all fun and games until someone gets an eye poked out. Mom loved that line.

16. sarzacsmom

sarzacsmom Groupie

Dec 24, 2008

we recite nursery rhymes and do if you can hear me tap yur head etc. I really don't have trouble with my kids staying in a line. In the beginning we pretend we are a train, but after about a month they know the rules about lining up and the line leader has to show us how to stand and walk nicely in line and the caboose has to make sure we don't lose anybody---i have 8 three yar olds in my class by myself and I really don't have too much trouble with discipline until the other staff memeber thatcovers my lunch and takes over when I go home comes in--for whtever reason she can't get the kds to do anything for herand the room turns to chaos.

17. MimiBee

MimiBee Companion

Dec 30, 2008

:lol:

A coworker of mine says we need one of those velcro walls you see at carnivals and fairs. Strap the velcro suit on the kids and stick 'em on the wall. (She is joking as well, but it makes for a funny mind picture...)

We make a train...each child stands behind one another with their hands on the child's shoulders. Choo choo....and they're off. Works really well teaching the concept of what a line is. There is a thin gold stripe down the center of our hallway we use as the train track. Once they've got the idea down, it's no longer necessary to have them place their hands on the shoulders of the child in front of them. They also love walking on the line like it's a bridge to stay out of the water and away from the sharks or crocodiles or whatever the menace of the day is. Considering preschoolers aren't really built to stand in line, I consider something resembling a clump a success!

18. WaProvider

WaProvider Fanatic

Dec 30, 2008

The crossing guard we pass each day (for the bigger students) on our way to class said that it looks like I am "hearding kittens".

Ha, feels like that sometimes too.

19. sldoo03

sldoo03 New Member

Dec 30, 2008

We play the 'quiet game.' I choose a child to walk around and find the quietest, most still student and tap him/her on the shoulder then that child becomes 'it.' I don't know if that'd work for bathroom lines, but it works wonders anytime we need to wait.

20. dr.gator

dr.gator Comrade

Dec 30, 2008

I teach older children, second graders, so I may not have much to add, but I have taught K for numerous years. From the get go I clearly state my expectations. There are days when we have problems, but we are kids. One year teaching K I had a parent comment that my lines looked like a momma duck with her ducklings all in a nice row. I wouldn't believe it until near the end of the year when she took a picture of us lining up after a field trip. I had it down to the T! I also like to play the quiet game for what ever pointless reason it give us.