Keeping Notes

Discussion in 'General Education' started by VANewbie, Oct 21, 2010.

1. VANewbie

VANewbie Devotee

Oct 21, 2010

I hear all the time you should document everything and keep notes so you can have a backup. I am not sure of what I need to keep note of.I do not keep or take anecdotal notes of my students. I just don't have the time to take notes.

Now with their reading and writing I keep a checklist of sorts.

I just HEAR all about these notes you are supposed to keep but have never actually seen people do it.

I am just afraid(thinking ahead) that this might bite me in the butt one day.

Thoughts?

3. Elocin

Elocin Comrade

Oct 21, 2010

Well, the gradebook would back you up for missing/low assignments, etc. I have a super fast scanner at home and I scan all graded work and keep in a file for that school year and delete it at the end.
    I keep a log of everytime I call a parent (day, time, who I spoke with/left message for, if they called back or what we discussed). I also note when I send home detention slips/papers to be signed and if they come back. If they don't, I call about that too so the parents can't say they weren't ever notified.
    I keep any emails parents send me in a saved file and then delete it at the beginning of the new school year.

I am paranoid but I used to work in a business where a mistake could cost your company tens of thousands of dollars and your job so CYA comes naturally to me.

4. UVAgrl928

UVAgrl928 Habitué

Oct 21, 2010

5. VANewbie

VANewbie Devotee

Oct 22, 2010

Thats a really good website!

6. Momma C

Momma C Comrade

Oct 22, 2010

I document anything out of the ordinary. In addition, I document anything relating to discipline, conferences, suspected child abuse/neglect that I have reported to admin., and anything that I feel "iffy" about. I always ask myself "can this come back on me?" I also keep a copy of positive notes sent to parents, etc.

7. cruiserteacher

cruiserteacher Comrade

Oct 22, 2010

I do Daily 5 and CAFE for my reading instruction. Since beginning this, I find myself more tuned into my students than ever before. I keep a reading and writing conference form for each student. I also have a strategy group form and record each time I meet with that group. These forms are kept under tabs in my CAFE pensieve.

I also have a binder that I keep my lesson plans in, curriculum maps, parent communications, emergency forms, and a tab for each student. I have a parent communication form that I record when I speak with a parent, leave a message for a parent, or send a note home. I just write down quickly the reason for the call/note and the result. I do this so I can show my P in case a parent claims I am not communicating with them. In each students' tabs, I keep copies of discipline referrals and other important information. I do think it is very important to keep careful records so you can cover yourself in case something does come up.