Keeping Kids Quiet ??

Discussion in 'Second Grade' started by katydid205, Aug 18, 2007.

1. katydid205

katydid205 Companion

Aug 18, 2007

I am teaching 2nd grade and have the MOST talkative class. They are great kids. No real behavior problems. They all get along with each other, but they DON'T stop talking. I have started implementing my behavior plan, but feel like i need more tips on how to get them to concentrate on their tasks. HELP!

3. Momzoid

Momzoid Companion

Aug 18, 2007

I have that same problem too! Nothing I am doing is working so far, they just want to talk. Maybe its the air in Alabama:lol: Hopefully someone will help us:wub:

4. mhcooley

mhcooley Companion

Aug 18, 2007

My class is also very talkative. I am going to try to let them earn minutes for talk time at the end of the day. I am sure once I start centers where they are allowed to talk and collaborate that will help. I know it is hard for little ones to remain quiet because at my school they are required to be quiet on the bus, in the hall, during class, in the cafeteria, walking on the sidewalk to specials, during library, ect. I know as adults when we have workshops it is a killer to sit all day and listen to someone talk without having a break to stretch and talk. I don't know what the answer will be except to let them have a time to talk.

5. Touchthefuture

Touchthefuture Comrade

Aug 18, 2007

How do you have their desks arranged? You may have to separate them if they are in groups and then put them back together for cooperative learning. Another thing that I tried was group points and each team was eligible to earn points for being on task. I would walk around and put little stop signs on their desks if they were too talkative and then they were in time-out for 5 mins. The kids really wanted to earn points so if they were put on time-out and I took points away that got them upset. It did seem to work. You really have to make sure you notice their good habits and say things like I like how group A is on task. They just earned a point.

6. hescollin

hescollin Fanatic

Aug 18, 2007

Wind up a music box. When they start talking open the music box, and at the end of the day, if there is any time left they get a gum ball from the gumball machine. You get them cheap at the Dollar Store. Or a piece of candy from the candy jar. Small individually wrapped candy.

7. Darkhorse

Darkhorse Companion

Aug 18, 2007

Touchthefuture, how does your group point system work? Do they get a reward each day or at the end of the week? What rewards do you give them? What happens when they are in the five minutes of time out?

I have super talkative kids as well and I am looking for any solutions that don't involve me yelling at them all day.....

8. Touchthefuture

Touchthefuture Comrade

Aug 18, 2007

I have 3 award levels for the each week. I switch the rewards around to make it more exciting. It may be like this
    10 pts - candy
    15 pts - free hw pass
    20 pts - kool pops

Each time you reach a level you get what the reward is. I give out all awards on Friday. Sometimes I do double point days. They really like those. The 5 minutes of time-out means they cannot talk during that time and they lose points as well. If they talk during that time, I keep taking points away. It usually never gets that far. Hope that helps.

9. Teach4kids

Teach4kids Guest

Aug 18, 2007

Touchthefuture,
    Every week do the kids start out with 20 pts. and you subtract when they are given a warning or how do you gauge when they lose a point? How many points do they lose for different types of behavior?

10. Pattie

Pattie Companion

Aug 18, 2007

Teach4kids I do table points too. It is easy. Just get a small non breakable container for each table (like tupperware or baby food jars, anything) and then get a bag of pom poms. When you point out the quiet table, the fastest at getting books out, first table cleaned up, best teamwork (whatever you think up) have one of the table members come up to get a "warm fuzzy" or whatever you want to call it. When they get 20 they get to spin a spinner and you put on the spinner 4 or 5 things they can win. Things like a trip to the treasure box, inside recess, extra computer time, lunch with the teacher, whatever. It works really good for peer pressure to help manage those real talky kids. Also, move those worst offenders to the 4 corners of the room and put your quietest kids on either side of them. If all else fails, I've put 3 kids up front with me and the overhead teaching table--- 2 on either side and one in front of it. They have nobody to talk to then and they are under your thumb. But they still think they are a team. I call my tables colors and have a same colored bin w/pencils, glue, scissors, markers. I put only 4 kids together to form a table. So it's easy to pick tables for leaving for recess, etc.

11. patti2

patti2 Cohort

Aug 19, 2007

I read this book The Daily 5 this summer and the author really talks about teaching kids to build stamina for different things-in your case, working without talking. I would start out telling them that you expect 4 minutes of working without talking-not a peep. Talk about what this looks like and sounds like (working alone-no words)-tell them what stamina is and that it is a skill they MUST work on in 2nd grade! Expect 4 minutes at different periods the first day....have them give a thumbs up if they did a great job! The next day add another minute and tell them they are building stamina...etc.... keep adding on minutes until they can handle 15-20 min. of work time or more. I hope this helps! I am trying it with my second graders on the first day of school!

12. patti2

patti2 Cohort

Aug 19, 2007

Oh yeah-the authors also said you must tell children WHY they are doing things-in your case-we are doing this so that everyone can concentrate and do their best work.

13. mrsmuggins

mrsmuggins Rookie

Aug 19, 2007

Last year I had a very chatty class. Here are a few "tricks" I used:

Say in a quiet voice, "If you can hear me, touch your chin." You will get a few. Then say, "If you can hear me, touch your elbow." You will get a few more. Use a quieter voice, and say, "If you can hear me, give me a big smile." (These are examples, I try to do different ones every time.)

Ask students to "take a deep breath and hold it........... and let it out slowly." Do this several times until everyone is quiet.

Hold up one hand, and count backwards slowly. 5,4,3,2,1. Put your one finger on your lips and smile. Repeat a little more quietly each time.

You can also say silly things in a quiet voice. For example, "I like to eat gummy worms, but not real worms. Last night I did not sleep in a tree. My favorite candybar is "Snickers" - I think I could eat six in a row." Again, you will continue to add to the number of students listening.

I have several little shakers I use when I want attention. I shake it, and wait. Shake it and wait. Etc.

It's also fun to walk up to a quiet student and start whispering with them. I whisper just loud enough for the whole class to hear me when they get quiet. I usually ask them questions about things like their favorite pizza, etc. Kids are so nosey they want to "listen in."

Hope these help!

14. mrs100

mrs100 Comrade

Aug 19, 2007

Funny, it sounds like you're describing my class last year! I started "stand n chat". I just write those words on the board, and if there is any point during the day when they start talking, I just quietly erase a letter. I count the hallway, lining up, etc. If at the end of the day they have letters left, they get 4 minutes the next morning to "stand n chat". They loved it, it was easy for me to maintain, and it was free!

15. beanie

beanie Rookie

Aug 19, 2007

I also have an 'egg' shaker I use and a set of signs that I hold up - they are only new so still a novelty and therefore work! Going to try a few of the other suggestions too.

16. mom&teacher

mom&teacher Companion

Aug 19, 2007

I do not allow talking. You just have to set the expecations and reward the students that meet that expectation! Make sure the students know your expectations though. You have to tell them when it is a quiet time and when they are allowed to chat. After a few days maybe weeks they will learn what is expected and when!