Keeping in touch with students

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by Lovetoteach15, Jun 2, 2014.

1. Lovetoteach15

Lovetoteach15 Rookie

Jun 2, 2014

I had a really good class this school year that I will greatly miss. This is the first year I feel like I have made real connections with a couple of my kids and their families. There was one student this year in particular that I grew very close to. I have been to his house a few times and formed a friendship with the family (parents and siblings, too). What is your policy for keeping in touch with students? Have you spent time with students over the summer when they are out of your class? I plan to do this, but wanted to see if this was normal with those kids you were really close with.

3. TamaraF

TamaraF Companion

Jun 4, 2014

I teach high school, so it's a bit different. I "friend" students on facebook AFTER they graduate. If I see those special ones around during the summer, I always stop to talk, and have met up with a group for coffee. In addition, during my prep period I have a group of former students who come hang out and do their homework with me, while we chat about life.

4. SF_Giants66

SF_Giants66 Cohort

Jun 4, 2014

Well, generally most people would frown upon the idea of being friends students on Facebook, but I think it might be different if you were to create a public figure fan page that doesn't require any mutual kind of connection and students can like the page, keep up with your posts, comment on it, and send messages through it. That way you aren't personally sending or accepting friend requests with students or allowing them to see your personal page posts.

5. knitter63

knitter63 Groupie

Jun 4, 2014

I teach 5th. Many of my former students keep in touch with me via school email.
    I have gotten together with former students and their families, if I have grown close to them. We usually meet for lunch/ dinner, and they (the student) have a parent with them.

6. ScienceEd

ScienceEd Companion

Jun 4, 2014

from a parent side, i like having my kids teachers keep in touch.

His kindergarten teacher and i exchanged cell phone numbers and some of the other teacher's kids are in our cub scout pack.

I think the sense of community is a good thing.

i just started teaching and they are high school students so, i tell them they can email me how they are doing or come back and talk to my classes after graduation.

i dont think i would hang out with students just because they were my students but i do run into their family at other events and we hang out because we meet socially.

7. Sarge

Sarge Enthusiast

Jun 5, 2014

Here are my facebook rules.

1. If I get a friend request from a parent, I will accept. I can do this because I use Facebook like a normal adult, and generally don't post anything I don't want the whole world to see.

2. If I am Fb Friends with a parent, and their child sends me a request, I will accept after checking with the parent and letting them know their child sent me a request.

3. I always keep my correspondence with minors on the public parts of Facebook.