Keeping in Contact with students

Discussion in 'General Education' started by newbie0809, May 29, 2009.

1. newbie0809

newbie0809 Companion

May 29, 2009

I was wondering how many of you keep in touch with your former students. I know that some teachers give away their phone numbers or address to their students on the last day of school. I wouldn't really want to do this because of how crazy people are these days I don't want people knowing where I live or calling me all the time. I have a cousin who's a teacher that ran into a student at the store and they exchanged numbers. The student then called her later that night asking to borrow money. Also within the next couple of years I will be getting married and my last name will change. I will also probably change schools throughout my teaching career. I'm already changing this year. This would make it even harder for students to find me. I know a teacher who had a student send her an invitation to his college graduation. But she had also always been in the same district and never changed her last name when she got married so it was easy to find her..I was just wondering what some of you did. It would make me happy to see a former student invite to a graduation or just remember me as being their teacher.

3. rachaelski

rachaelski Habitué

May 29, 2009

I give out my cell number and email address. I also have a MySpace page that is for my students to contact me. It's fun to get random texts from kids. I have never had a kid ask me for money or anything.

4. Crzy_ArtTeacher

Crzy_ArtTeacher Comrade

May 29, 2009

I would give them something that could stay the same like an e-mail address, you can have that for as long as you want and not have to worry about your location or name changing.

5. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

May 29, 2009

I give the kids my school email address. It won't change as long as I stay with my current school board--which will likely be forever. I wouldn't give out my phone number, although it is listed and easy to find.

6. SuperBug!

SuperBug! Rookie

May 29, 2009

My first year of teaching I gave my parents my cell phone number so they could contact me anytime with concerns. Unfortunately, one crazy parent decided that 8:30 pm was a perfectly acceptable time to call and keep me on the phone for up to an hour. Total rookie mistake... :blush:

So when it comes to students, I still don't think I would give out my number. It's just too personal for me. My kids are part of my job, and on the weekends I leave my job far, far behind. I don't think I would want students calling me anytime.

7. EiffelTower

EiffelTower Comrade

May 29, 2009

My former students will contact me through email, but I would not feel comfortable giving them my personal email address or phone number.

8. Jem

Jem Aficionado

May 29, 2009

I've only really given it to my elementary kids. I always write my e-mail and phone number in their yearbooks, at the end of a very long personal message. I tell them they can call or write any time, and that I will never get rid of those two points of contact. I've gotten some pretty great calls from slumber parties 'Hi, Mrs. U! Do you remember us?? Giggle...giggle...'

I love staying in touch with my former students-one of the reasons I like fifth grade. I get to see them off to middle school, but they always come back to visit. I've friends with several on Facebook as well.

9. nattles19

nattles19 Comrade

May 29, 2009

I give out my phone number to students who ask, and I've never had one of them actually call. I do NOT give my cell phone number out to parents during the school year, except a select few. I've heard too many horror stories from other teachers.

Although I remember watching a news story once about a school district that required teachers to be available to talk to at home until 9 pm each night.

10. peggy27

peggy27 Cohort

May 29, 2009

I have had some come back and visit. Been at my school 12 years so I get their little brothers and sisters. Sometimes I have some contact my school e-mail. I don't give out my personal email or phone number.

11. rachaelski

rachaelski Habitué

May 29, 2009

That's my school. We are given school cell phones that the kids can call for homework help and parents can call to talk to us.

12. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

May 29, 2009

"Please, stop by school next year for a visit. I would LOVE to see you and hear all about college."

13. INteacher

INteacher Aficionado

May 29, 2009

The only other personal info I give out is my school email. I have had lots of students email me at school and come by during their breaks and I really enjoying seeing them again.

I would never give out my personal cell number to students.

14. Exclaimation Po

Exclaimation Po Habitué

May 29, 2009

I made up a "teacher" email address and give it to students who ask.

15. Brendan

Brendan Fanatic

May 29, 2009

All my members of my mock trial team have my number. So does my TA this year who is going into teaching also has my number. I only give it out to students I am close to, though.

16. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Virtuoso

May 29, 2009

I have kept in touch with several former students for a long time. Sometimes you just have a connection with certain students.

Most of them I see through MySpace and Facebook, and some just through email or the occassional text message.

I tend to get back in touch with them after they graduate, and some of my students are in their mid-30's . . . which is kind of scary when I think about it.

17. Doug_HSTeach_07

Doug_HSTeach_07 Comrade

May 29, 2009

I give students my cell phone number and have a policy with all my HS students that once they walk that stage, I will accept their friend request on Facebook...so they joke around throughout the year, saying they can't wait for that to happen!

Since nobody really calls people anymore and students text 90% of the time anyway, I don't mind getting random texts every once in awhile.

18. Mamacita

Mamacita Aficionado

May 29, 2009

I'm still in touch with lots of former students, but never until they graduate from high school. My college students are adults, so it doesn't matter now. I have always lived right smack in the middle of the district in which I taught middle school for so long, and I loved getting kids at my door at Halloween, and for Christmas caroling, etc. I always hired students to cut the grass, rake, pick up sticks, etc, and whenever we need something big done, we hire former students. New roof, car repairs, cutting trees. . . if a former student - who behaved well - does it for a living, that's who we hire.

I still figure that a student who was not nice in school will probably not be nice elsewhere, or elseTIME, either. Me no pay money to not-nice people.

I also believe that a teacher who "friends" young, underage students in any capacity is asking for trouble, and probably isn't very smart.

19. Missy99

Missy99 Connoisseur

May 30, 2009

The majority of my kids do not have computers at home.

Their parents already have my cell phone number, and I told the kids they could call me this summer. My first and last names are very unique AND listed in the phone book, so they would be able to call me anyway.

I have not had any problems with parents or kids yet. But I am doing this on an ad hoc basis. Next year may be different.

20. TeacherSandra

TeacherSandra Enthusiast

May 30, 2009

May I ask if this is a private or charter school? :mellow: