Keeping House....

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by FourSquare, Sep 30, 2012.

1. FourSquare

FourSquare Fanatic

Sep 30, 2012

How often do you thoroughly clean your living space? Beyond just picking up and doing dishes/laundry....I'm talking vacuuming vents, scrubbing the bathroom, mopping floors, washing bedding, emptying the fridge.....all that stuff I hate doing. :blush:

My place isn't disgusting by any means, but let's just say it doesn't match my classroom! For some reason I am so motivated to keep my classroom tidy and organized. The apartment...not so much. :whistle: Fortunately, the dog doesn't mind! :)

3. karebear76

karebear76 Habitué

Sep 30, 2012

Not nearly often enough!

I do only what absolutely has to be done. With a husband that works 2nd shift, 3 kiddos - 2 of which are involved in after school activities, a complete home remodel downstairs, and a 40 mile one way commute, I just don't have time to keep an immaculate house. We manage :)

4. myangel52

myangel52 Comrade

Sep 30, 2012

Our home, with a 3-year old and 5-year old, is messy looking ALL.THE.TIME. Hubby isn't great at cleaning (translate: doesn't really do it ever), and that leaves me to do it in the few hours that I am home in the evening or do it on the weekends. I am like Karebear -- I do what needs to get done. It isn't how I would like to live right now, but until the kids are a little older and more helpful, they are limited in what I can ask of them. Hubby... well that is a different story all together. :lol:

5. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Sep 30, 2012

Probably not as much as I should...I did do a lot today though.

6. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Sep 30, 2012

My school home is cleaner and more organized than my home-home!

7. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Sep 30, 2012

I don't have any kind of schedule for most things. I just do them as they need doing. It's just me here, and I'm not messy.

I always take the trash out on Monday nights because trash pickup is on Tuesday. I usually mow my grass on Thursdays, which is a throwback to my dad's belief that yards should be usable on weekends, so Thursday mowing allowed that to happen.

I always take a bath before bed, so I'm clean when I go to bed. I'll wash my sheets every couple of weeks.

In the summertime I'll always do a major deep cleaning of the whole house. It's just maintenance after that. I don't like clutter, so I keep things picked up. The maintenance is usually on Friday or Saturday. I just don't want to bother with it during the week. I did have to clean my bathroom this week on Monday because I had a plumber in the house. He walked on my white bathroom rugs with muddy feet. My mom told me that anyone who has pure white rugs is a show-off, so it served me right. :lol:

8. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Oct 1, 2012

I have no set schedule either. I tend to clean a certain room of the house at various times as it needs it. I moved into my apt 4 mos ago & have been trying to keep everything clean & tidy as I go...not let things get dirty/pile up, so that it's a full day of cleaning down the road. I don't really have people over. It's just my dog & I, so there's not much to keep clean. I've never worn shoes in the house since day 1 & on this light-colored carpet, it's pretty much mandatory to do that.

9. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Oct 1, 2012

I hired someone. She comes in every 2 weeks and does all the crap I hate. Totally worth the $60.

10. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Oct 1, 2012

I have a cleaning lady who comes on Mondays.

11. stephenpe

stephenpe Connoisseur

Oct 1, 2012

My wife (stays at home) cleans it top to bottom each day. sigh....
    but then I have to cook supper usually, buy groceries, load and unload dishwasher.

12. lucybelle

lucybelle Connoisseur

Oct 1, 2012

We have a house cleaner come once a week. She does the floors, bathroom, windows, kitchen, and organizes stuff if she has time. We don't have carpets or rugs so that's not an issue.

In between my novio washes the dishes, I cook dinner every day and do laundry once a week. Our place is so tiny it's hard for it to get messy.

13. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Oct 1, 2012

stephen~my next door neighbor sounds exactly like your wife!

And I wish I could higher a housekeeper!

14. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Oct 1, 2012

My biggest issues are the floors. I hate sweeping, mopping, etc. With a dog who sheds a lot, it's hard to keep the floor totally clean of fur all the time. If I could just have a cleaner come do the floors I'd be happy!

15. FourSquare

FourSquare Fanatic

Oct 1, 2012

Admittedly, I have a lovely lady that comes to help every once in a while. She is technically my neighbor's housekeeper, but I throw her an extra $60 now and then to do dumb things I don't have time for. So relieved that I'm not the only one! (Not that it's even justifiable. I don't have kids or anything. I just work too much. :|)

16. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Oct 1, 2012

:haha:

I don't have children either, but we neeeed a housekeeper! Some of my family would be disgusted if we hired one. We had a teacher growing up with one and everyone whispered about it. One of these days, though!

17. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Oct 1, 2012

We don't have kids. We do have four dogs, a cat, graduate school, drama club, handbells, and a variety of other things that take my time away from house work. I feel no guilt about it at all.

18. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Oct 1, 2012

You shouldn't. Not for a second. I wasn't clear. Basically my family find it to be uppity...doesn't really have anything to do with not having children.

19. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Oct 1, 2012

20. waterfall

waterfall Maven

Oct 1, 2012

I try to clean on Sundays including vacuuming/dusting etc. I also do the laundry which includes sheets and towels weekly. I used to clean the sheets a lot less frequently, but now that I have a cat he's always depositing hair all over everything :). He also causes me to do a lot of lintrolling and vacuuming furniture.

21. Blue

Blue Aficionado

Oct 1, 2012

I clean as little as possible. When I work, the first thing I do is hire a cleaning lady.

22. Chrissteeena

Chrissteeena Companion

Oct 2, 2012

Not as much as it should be. I clean, but haven't deep cleaned the house since we bought it. We're actually going to hire a maid service to deep clean the house before our engagement party and get the carpets done. Hopefully after that, we can get on a good schedule to keep it that clean!

23. AMK

AMK Aficionado

Oct 2, 2012

we hired someone and it's the best money spent. They come every 2 weeks. I vacuum in between and we straighten up every night. Of course if we have company coming we do a better job

24. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Oct 2, 2012

It depends on the chore. I clean the sheets about every other week. My weekly chores include: cleaning the bathroom, cleaning the floor with the swiffer dry & wet, dusting, vacuuming, and laundry. Maybe once every 6 weeks I will actually mop the floor, dust vents, move the furniture to vacuum, clean the fridge, etc.

25. Lisabobisa

Lisabobisa Companion

Oct 3, 2012

My kitchen is usually always very clean. I clean as I go and I absolutely despise grime where I cook. This comes from sharing a space with 5 roommates in college and having to deal with their disgusting messes. I've learned it's so much more work to leave it go, then just to get it done before I sit down and eat.

Everything else... I've tried a schedule. And lasted a week. I do get it done on the weekend though. I'll keep trying that schedule though.

Laundry and grocery shopping are the worst. I procrastinate as much as possible until I absolutely have to do it... and then it takes me a million years to do it all.

26. adavant

adavant Rookie

Oct 6, 2012

Not nearly enough and I don't have a schedule either. I wish I did and I have attempted to but it has never worked even before I started working full time. :(

27. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Oct 6, 2012

It's money well spent. We pay a lady to come every week and she does everything. It's a huge chore to keep up on, on top of a full time job. This frees up my time, keeps my house clean, and gives work to someone one day a week. It's a win-win situation!