Keeping desks straight in 1st grade

Discussion in 'Elementary Education Archives' started by Dalrose, Sep 3, 2005.

1. Dalrose

Dalrose Rookie

Sep 3, 2005

I am a new first grade teacher. The students have individual desks, I was hoping for tables, and the desks keep moving all over the place. I have to keep reminding them to straighten their desks and at the end of the day it is a mess. What to do?

3. RitaFirstGrade

RitaFirstGrade Companion

Sep 3, 2005

I wish I knew! I have the same problem!

4. Amanda

Amanda Administrator Staff Member

Sep 3, 2005

I never had to deal with desks, but the teachers I know that had them arranged the desks in groups of 4-5, so you still get the "table" feel. You could also arrange them in a U shape with a meeting area in the center or table with supplies, book tubs, etc.

5. Andrea L

Andrea L Habitué

Sep 3, 2005

I put Velcro down on the floor in my class and then have the students line their desks up with the Velcro at the end of the day. REMEMBER to stress that the Velcro isn't garbage because some kids pick it up and throw it away :). This works pretty well. I buy the white Velcro so that the kids can see it. Also, a word of advice…Last year I bought the type with the sticky side up, and it was such a mess. Even after I put paper over the top of it, it looked horrible. This year I bought plain white cheap Velcro at Walmart. It was $0.97 for three feet. I also cut it up into shorter strips and put them in front of the legs. No need to put the Velcro down to outline the whole space, unless you want to. Hope this helps! Happy Velcroing (is that a word)!

6. BethMI

BethMI Cohort

Sep 4, 2005

My students' desks are arranged in tables. I have tape on the floor on either side that the kids line up with. At the end of the day the first table cleaned, up ready to go, and straight, gets a point.

7. teacherchick

teacherchick Companion

Sep 4, 2005

Similar to the velcro I used to put a small piece of masking tape on the floor where I wanted the front 2 legs to be and for a few day remindd them about it.. Kind of training them.. They got used to it on thier own and monitored it themselves after awhile.

8. Dalrose

Dalrose Rookie

Sep 5, 2005

Thanks for the advice!

9. ViolaSwamp

ViolaSwamp Habitué

Sep 5, 2005

In a few weeks they'll get into the routine of putting their desks in a line at the end of the day on their own. Until then maybe you could make a short checklist (with picture cues) of things to do at the end of the day. Then instead of going through the list, you could say "Check the checklist". Those that leave the classroom with the obivous things done (desks neat) might get a star on a chart or a small piece of candy. At least until the routine is settled. Then you might just give rewards on a surprise basis.

10. loves2teach

loves2teach Enthusiast

Sep 5, 2005

I teach fifth, but I have desks that I arrange into groups too. I borrowed this idea from a neighbor.

Take some painters tape (they have blue and purple which look cute). Then tape off an L-Shape in one corner of the group. Then this group member knows that their desk should be backed into the L-Shape. Each group should have one desk taped off on the floor. The rest of the group can use that one desk as a guide. I hope this makes sense.