Keeping class quiet and seated during individual assessments

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Sarge, May 19, 2009.

1. Sarge

Sarge Enthusiast

May 19, 2009

OK, I have individual reading and math interview assessments to do. Between the fluency test and the math interview, it's about 15-20 minutes per student.

The rest of the class needs to be quiet, seated, and cannot rely on me for anything for and extended period of time. While giving the tests, 100% of my attention must be focused on the student taking it and I cannot stop to quiet any kids down.

I have to give the tests and I do not get any paid help. It's somewhat iffy to rely on parents for this. In previous years, I've actually taken a sick day and gotten a sub.

They are first graders. They have to be busy, but anything that keeps them busy they will need help with. If it's something easy they all can do, they get noisy and some kids finish super fast and don't know what to do. Adding to the problem is that this group cannot sit and watch a movie quietly and many of these kids do not like to draw or color and either refuse to do it or just scribble on a paper and say "I'm done."

Any ideas? It doesn't even have to be an educational activity. Anything that keeps them quiet and away from me will work.

3. lemonhead

lemonhead Aficionado

May 19, 2009

Sarge,

Do you do it all in one day? I feel your pain. I just finished all of mine. I was able to spread it out over two weeks. What I did was flipflop my morning with my afternoon. I got the kids started on writer's workshop and told them I was sorry I was unable to conference. I then put my big monkey magnet up that says shhhh no talking- and the monkey has his fingers in his ears...his name is Samson. They know this means business I hardly ever use it.

Other days I had a packet they could work on but some tried to interrupt anyway.

4. Historyteaching

Historyteaching Cohort

May 19, 2009

Could you give them worksheets on material they've already covered? Perhaps, since they are in 1st grade..offer incentives? Whoever does their best gets "insert here"..extra points, a sticker, a piece of candy, a new pencil, extra free time, center time etc? It will keep them busy and help refresh? Perhaps give them a packet of 5-6 worksheets and/or give the art project a theme and say that the class will judge the best work and give a 'prize'? just some thoughts.

5. snickydog

snickydog Groupie

May 19, 2009

I had to do something similar too with my first graders. I had a few of those math fact pages that are also like a coloring book (where each fact is inside part of the coloring section, so sections with a sum of 15 get colored pink, etc). If the students finished the facts, they colored the sections. When they finished that, they could write a story that relates to the picture.

We did story maps for books I read aloud (we do those often, so they knew the format), and writing math fact families from the Fact Triangles that come with our Everyday Math series. They also wrote letters to me about a book they were reading, and made a book "all about" something they know well. For science, we watched a video that relates to our unit.

I tried to pair early finishers with kids who need help so they could both do their own work but still have someone to ask questions, too. You could also set out Post-Its so if a kid has a question, they can write it on the Post-It until you're done testing a student.

I feel your pain - it's hard to get independent work in first grade!

6. janlee

janlee Devotee

May 19, 2009

I have the same problem with my second graders with their individual reading assessments. The students who are reading above grade level sometimes take 30 to 45 minutes to do their test. What I have decided to do is to ask the special teachers if I can call out 3 to 4 children during the special. They have all agreed to this. It should take me no more than two weeks to finish. My lowest readers only take about 15 minutes each. This way there is nothing to distract the student or me.

7. lemonhead

lemonhead Aficionado

May 19, 2009

Mine take about that long too, longer in the fall. I have to do a phonemic awareness test (PAPI), hearing and recording sounds, DRA, and fluency.

Week 1:
    I do all my Papi's first. Then I do a whole group hearing and recording sounds. Then I meet individually and hammer out my one minute fluency assessment.

Week 2

I do DRA's. Since all my kids are at a high level now I can let them read the book on their own and I only need to listen to the one page then ask for retell and the questions.

8. lemonhead

lemonhead Aficionado

May 19, 2009

Oh, how I wish we could do this!!! We can't pull them out of specials for testing.

9. Sarge

Sarge Enthusiast

May 19, 2009

We don't have specials.

10. lemonhead

lemonhead Aficionado

May 19, 2009

Do you do it all in a day?

11. lemonhead

lemonhead Aficionado

May 19, 2009

Hey can you buddy up with a teacher? You take his or her class while they test and then swap?

12. Hoot Owl

Hoot Owl Aficionado

May 19, 2009

It's so hard and I feel your pain. I gave mine old worksheets we'd already gone over so they could do it independently, word search sheets are great but some finish those in minutes. It's just a hard, hard time.

I started a week before they told us about it so I wouldn't be in a time crunch too, which helped tremendously.

13. janlee

janlee Devotee

May 19, 2009

I like this idea!

14. TeacherShelly

TeacherShelly Aficionado

May 19, 2009

I had a similar problem with state testing. I told the kids when they finished their tests they could do a quiet activity of their choice. They were allowed to use Whisper Voice (they test this by touching their throat ... if they feel a vibration, it's too loud). They could not come to me for anything (I was reading the test questions to my younger kids - that's how you're supposed to do it). Some kids made card-houses, used the fusing beads, wrote stories, read, built with the math manips.

Good luck, Sarge!

15. maroki

maroki Comrade

May 20, 2009

Do you have an extended art project they could work on? Nothing too in depth, but a color/cut/paste type of project they could work on? Maybe they could write a story to accompany it...

I don't know if this would work, but I told my students if they weren't absolutely quiet during their tests and other students' tests, I would have to test them at recess. I rarely take away recess, and the threat seemed to work pretty well. I tested several students back to back, then took a break, let the kids talk a bit, answered questions they had, and let them stretch/move around/make a bit of noise before I went back to testing.

Good luck!

ETA: About the recess - I only meant I would test the kids who were talking at recess, not the entire class.

16. SwOcean Gal

SwOcean Gal Devotee

May 27, 2009

This may not help now, but at the beginning of the year my friend, who is a K teacher, wears a lei around her neck and teaches the kids not to bother her- no looking at her, no talking to her, no coming near her, when she is wearing it. The kids then know the room must be silent and they must be busy working on something and if she is wearing that lei to be sitting and on task.

17. swtteacher

swtteacher Rookie

May 28, 2009

http://www.dltk-kids.com/

This website has been my savior in the last few days! There are tons, tons, tons of great activties! My favorites are the animal templates. I just print them out and give them to the kids. They color, cut out, and glue together an animal and then write a story about it. It keeps them busy while I do assessments!

18. terptoteacher

terptoteacher Connoisseur

May 29, 2009

1. We sometimes put all the kids in one room with a video ( school hse rock or something "educational" and my room neighbor and I would sit in the adjoining room to test. Or...
    2. I will tellthem I'm looking for a secret worker and if every time I look up they're working they'll get a treat

19. lemonhead

lemonhead Aficionado

May 29, 2009

I don't think I can find animal templates where you glue pieces together. Do you have a specific link?

Lemon

20. swtteacher

swtteacher Rookie

May 29, 2009

http://www.dltk-kids.com/animals/frogs.htm

Here's one for a frog.
    Scroll down to the bottom and choose a template to print out. I always choose the small B&W template.

If you want another animal, look for a craft titled Paper Craft (example Lion Paper Craft). Some others can be used as a paper craft. Just scroll down to the bottom of the page and you can see if that craft has a template to print.

21. EMonkey

EMonkey Connoisseur

May 30, 2009

I had class tests to finish, half the class was done and half the class was not. I had the kids in my class pick anything that they could do quietly that was within our classroom. Most of them picked art. I gave them the supplies they wanted if I had it in the room. They did well. I also let them know if they could not be quiet then I would have them do something I assigned them. We did all the district tests except a few in one day.

22. Erin Elizabeth

Erin Elizabeth Groupie

May 31, 2009

I find that anything that requires scissors keeps my kids pretty quiet. It takes so much concentration to cut at their age that they really can't talk.