Keeping Books in Good Condition in Class Library

Discussion in 'General Education' started by MissNikki, Jul 2, 2014.

1. MissNikki

MissNikki Comrade

Jul 2, 2014

I've always struggled with my the condition of my class library books. The kids check them out regularly I which is what I want, but they often come back in bad shape. Any advice on ways to keep the books in better condition? I've gone over it during mini lessons, etc., but am now considering contact paper. Thoughts?

3. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jul 2, 2014

I have a book hospital basket...kids put well loved, damaged books in this basket and I do what I can to fix them...

4. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Jul 2, 2014

I don't let my personal books leave the classroom, nor do I let kids put them inside their desks. They must be kept on top of the desk or in a book box.

5. yellowdaisies

yellowdaisies Fanatic

Jul 2, 2014

Donalyn Miller talks about this in The Book Whisperer. I just can't imagine spending all the time it would take to do that! I think I would rather just replace the books eventually, personally.

I do this too. No, they can't all be saved. But it's ok with me if I lose some books along the way, as long as the kids are reading and loving our classroom library books.

I'm interested to read other opinions on this topic as well...

6. chebrutta

chebrutta Enthusiast

Jul 3, 2014

I put contact paper on the covers. It takes time to do it, sure - but the books last a LOT longer if you do. I just can't justify the cost of replacing 10 or 20 books a year for ripped covers.

I love the book hospital idea!

7. Maryhf

Maryhf Connoisseur

Jul 3, 2014

I cover the binding with clear packing tape. I can do it pretty quickly, but the corners still get bent over.

8. iteachbx

iteachbx Enthusiast

Jul 3, 2014

Are they books from Scholastic? Those books are usually of pretty poor quality. I've had books completely fall apart after being read just a few times. But most of my books are from Scholastic. To ensure they last as long as possible I use heavy duty packing tap on the binding. It's faster than contact paper. As soon as I notice the pages inside starting to tear (or the kids do) I try to repair with tape as well. Some of my books are pretty much being held together by tape at this point, but the kids don't mind.

9. MissNikki

MissNikki Comrade

Jul 3, 2014

Yes, the bulk are from Scholastic. Where do you put the tape? You said on the binding. Just one strip over it? Do you put some around the right part of the cover too (the part you open)?

10. yellowdaisies

yellowdaisies Fanatic

Jul 3, 2014

I think I'm mostly concerned about the time it would take me this summer. I've built a library from scratch so there are hundreds of books.

I am considering doing it to the newer books. The used books I got from library sales, eh, not as big of an issue. They were 25 or 50 cents.

I like the packing tape on the binding idea! Does that really make a lot of difference?

11. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

Jul 3, 2014

I do that too, and with the picture books I also put a strip over the middle pages where the staples are to keep them from coming loose from the pages being turned often.

12. iteachbx

iteachbx Enthusiast

Jul 4, 2014

I think it does. The top and bottom of the binding are usually the first to start to tear and then the inside pages start to fall out because of this. By taping all of the binding it protects it from tearing. The books still don't last forever and they do start to wear, but they definitely last longer. I've been teaching for 4 years and I've had to throw out only a handful of books.

13. yellowdaisies

yellowdaisies Fanatic

Jul 4, 2014

Great, thank you! I am going to try that. Much faster and cheaper solution than the contact paper. :thumb:

14. Maryhf

Maryhf Connoisseur

Jul 4, 2014

I've been happy with using the tape. I've been doing it since 2006, and I have rarely had to retape. If I know a book will be popular, I use another piece of 4-5" to reinforce top and bottom going the other way. I also used vistaprint to make address labels that say "from the library of Mrs. F. Please return when finished." That extra piece of tape keeps students from removing my label. I still lose some popular books though.

15. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Aficionado

Jul 4, 2014

I really don't worry about it as long as the books are being read and cared for. Over time they will fall apart. I tape and staple what I can but when the book is beyond repair I laminate the pages separately and put the pictures in the writing centre for inspiration.