Keep track of warnings, behavior

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by meglucy, Apr 23, 2013.

1. meglucy

meglucy Companion

Apr 23, 2013

Spring fever has hit my first grade classroom. I have a crew of rowdy boys who are having a hard time focusing on their work.
    We have a school-wide program for discipline:
    Step 1: verbal warning
    Step 2: we ask them to make better choices
    Step 3: go to another classroom for a timeout and to process behavior with buddy teacher (fill out a simple plan for re-entering the classroom)

My trouble is that I have so many kids earning warnings right now, that I'm having a hard time keeping track of who is at step 1, step 2, etc. I'm always saying, "What step are you on again?" It's terrible.

I could do a flip card system (everyone starts on green, change to yellow if you get a warning, change to orange ... etc). I've done it before, but I don't love it because it becomes such a focus for everyone. I also try to handle discipline as privately as possible, so having a color change on display like that doesn't sit well with me.

But ... I can't stop what I'm doing and reach for a clipboard every time I need to give a warning. It would be much more efficient to have the child go change their color.

The clip chart with the clothespins won't work because if the kid moves up and down it doesn't keep track of what step s/he is on.

Hmm ...Any other ideas? FYI: I do a lot with positive discipline and many students respond well to it.

3. ravinraven

ravinraven Companion

Apr 24, 2013

I personally like the card changing system. Back in the day when I was in first grade, that is the system we used and I don't remember it being too distracting. We could see the chart at the front of the room and could see where everyone in the class stood. I had to change mine a few times, but never more than once (we had to physically go change it - like an elementary school walk of shame). Our order went green (no problems), yellow (first infraction), orange (second warning/infraction), red (call home to parents), and brown (administrative involvement). I was a well-behaved student, but I lived in unholy terror of the red/brown cards.

It does use the idea of public shaming, but from a student perspective, we could see the consequences of our actions (or the actions of others) in a tangible way. I can't remember, but I feel that we could change it back to the previous color if we managed to redeem ourselves later that day.

4. iteachbx

iteachbx Enthusiast

Apr 24, 2013

I use class dojo on my phone. You can keep track of negative and positive behaviors. The only downside is in order to see positives and negatives separately (ie 2 positives, 3 negatives rather than just -1) you have to be logged into the computer.

We do a prize at the end of the day for kids who have less than 3 negatives. So I just keep it up on my computer and at the end of the day I can check and see very quickly.

5. queenie

queenie Groupie

Apr 24, 2013

I give "cards." They are really foam drink coasters. I just place them on their desks and they must leave them there.

6. readingrules12

readingrules12 Aficionado

Apr 24, 2013

I have to say that I think the step system that your school has could be improved. Two choices is too much. Then the next is to send them out of class? That is quite a jump. Couldn't they miss out on a few minutes of recess, have a timeout or something else? Usually sending students out of a room is very disruptive to you and to others. Plus, it takes away a bit of your authority.

Two warnings is just asking for trouble. I would switch to one next year.

7. queenie

queenie Groupie

Apr 25, 2013

I thought the same thing. In my class one card is a 5 min. loss of recess, two cards is a 10 min. loss of recess and a note home that must be returned signed the next day, three cards and your desk is moved (isolated), four cards and you can't participate in "fun" activities all day, five cards and you get time out in another room... We never make it past three cards. ;)